• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Thumbhole Stock Recommendations

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
Looking to get a stock for a long range hunting build. Not sure which to get, but I know I want a thumbhole. This will be used for prone shots as well as box stands, and tripods. Looking at the Mcm Lazzeroni and Manners T5. Will be going on a fluted varmint barrel if that matters. What would yall reccomend for this situation?

Re: Thumbhole Stock Recommendations

I've owned the lazzeroni and did not like it much. Manners T5A will prob be on my next build, it's very nice feeling stock.

Sucks living in an area where you can't go pick one up and see how it feels. All the guns I see t5's on look like bench guns, just not sure how maneuverable it would be in the southern deer woods. Damn thing looks good though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jsthntn247</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> just not sure how maneuverable it would be in the southern deer woods. Damn thing looks good though. </div></div>
just as maneuverable as a weapon with a pistol grip... depending on your barrel length.

Another vote for manners. Never had one until recently and I gotta say its very nice.

I hunt with a T5 in the Alabama deer woods. You would not be disappointed.

Just make sure you don't add a bunch of weight with the barrel and optics and you will be fine.

One word Reccomendatin for thumbhole stock.

Don't

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Night Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hunt with a T5 in the Alabama deer woods. You would not be disappointed.

Just make sure you don't add a bunch of weight with the barrel and optics and you will be fine. </div></div>

Fluted sendero rock creek about 25" with a 6-24 pst or sightron.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One word Reccomendatin for thumbhole stock.

Don't
</div></div>

Curious to hear why you don't like them.

Don't forget the Manners GAT either !
cool.gif

Great stock and I have run it on a hunting rig for 2.5 + years. Won't ever pry that one outta my grubby hands.

Too restrictive for actual hunting. Handle poorly, you could miss the grip on a fast shot opportunity. They look foolish in the woods. Offer no benifit. Offer many drawbacks.
Have a lot in common with a fat girl and and a moped, all fun to ride until your friends see you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too restrictive for actual hunting. Handle poorly, you could miss the grip on a fast shot opportunity. They look foolish in the woods. Offer no benifit. Offer many drawbacks.
Have a lot in common with a fat girl and and a moped, all fun to ride until your friends see you. </div></div>

Haha, fair enough.

I'm not so sure they look foolish in the woods..and if it is comfortable to the shooter or helps him place a more precise shot at his intended target; why should anyone be concerned about some imaginary backwoods fashion show?

If it fits and feels comfortable: do it!

I have a Manners T5 90% carbon fiber with mini chassis. 18" barreled rem 308 with Bushnell G2DMR. I hunted a lot with it last year. Because of the scope it is the heaviest rig I have ever used but I never really cared. I also hunted on foot for two days while managing some property and I really like the setup.

Patrick,
The modern rifle stock has developed over centuries, retaining the features that worked and dropping the ones that did not.
The thumbhole stock is a gimmic to increase rifle sales to "uninformed", to be polite, buyers. Has nothing to do with an "imaginary backwoods fashon show". There is no way that a thumbhole stock facilitates proper handling. What if you miss the thumbhole with your thumb? Why do you need glass, plasitc or wood over the top of your thumb? What purpose does it serve?
If some physical anomoly is present that requires a very low grip on the stock, which would reduce recoil control, still no need to put crap over the top. It is an amature marketing gimmic, heavier than need be and cumbersome.

It depends alot on shooting position, too. Shooting from standing offhand, or supported, works great. however, from the prone, kinda uncomfortable. I prefer a standard stock, or a nice pistol grip, but thats because I try to take most of my shots from the prone. JMHO.

Where are you located? Didn't you build a F-TR rifle a while back?

If you make it down to Palo Alto sometime, I will be glad to bring my T-5A for you to check out. I try to make the FPR matches as often as possible.

I prefer the kmw to the t5a but the t5a is a nice stock. I also really like the ai 2.0

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aren't t-hole stocks listed in the " no no " section of the new ban? :)

Okie</div></div>

Not a semi-auto.

I like the T5A. Ordered one from Manners that should be ready in a few weeks. Will be going on my all-around killing rifle. 18" 6.5 CM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aren't t-hole stocks listed in the " no no " section of the new ban? :)

Okie</div></div>

Not a semi-auto. </div></div>

Oh, that's rite, that's to make sure we can't get our hands on those horrid t-hole stocked 10/22's. Damn, I sure thought I'd found a reason to dislike the new ban. :)