• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thunder Beast 30P-1, 30PS vs SilencerCo Harvester / Thoughts

donshaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Altenburg Missouri
Alright, so my question is for those of you who have experience with all 3 or at least 2 of these cans. I realize the Harvester is new, but for those who have got a chance to shoot it (shot show or just demo), give me some thoughts on it please.*

What are your thoughts regarding: suppression levels, weight, POI SHIFT, light signature at end cap while shooting, etc.*

Being able to use different thread pitches is a plus to, but from what I understand both companies offer thread adapters to go from say 308 down to a 5.56 rifle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.*

This setup will mostly be used on a Rem 700 308 20" bbl & 300 win mag 24" bbl as well as part time on my AR10 20" bbl.*

Thanks

The harvester will be a great can for a hunting rifle. That is what it was made for. It will not have near the same thread options initially as Thunder Beast offers for their brakes.

I was also told by a Silencerco rep at SHOT that he did not recommend running the Harvester on a .308 semi. The Thunder Beast can take some light duty semi auto fire. Regardless, if you plan on running a suppressor hard on a semi auto neither one of these suppressors is for you. I also would not run either of these suppressors on a SBR.

I have yet to hear the Harvester. Hopefully that will change this month as my Harvester should come through on a Form 3. My Thunder Beast Suppressors perform awesome. The 30BA and 30P-1 are some of the best sounding suppressors .30 caliber suppressors out there. And they have no negative effect on my accuracy. All suppressors that I have used have a POI shift. My Thunder Beast suppressors typically have a 1 MOA shift directly down at 100 yards. The shift is repeatable, so it is of no concern to me.

For suppressors, I like using a Brake attach suppressor for a few reasons.

1. Depending on the manufacturer, you can normally get brakes in thread pitches to cover any of your rifles.
2. The Brake is replaceable and is the first thing to take the brunt of the gases and unburnt powder coming out of your barrel. This should help extend the life of your blast baffle.
3. There is a Brake on the rifle to help protect the crown on the rifle and the barrel threads when the suppressor is not mounted.

I have a few 30P-1, 30BA, 30BAS, 30PSS, and 22L-1 suppressors in stock right now and more on the way. I am waiting to see how the Harvester performs, before I decide to carry them at my shop.

Yeah, for heavy duty use on my AR10, AR15, and SBR's, I have a SpecWar 7.62 but was looking more for the bolt action 308/300wm and my AR10 hunting setup.

Are you saying that direct thread cans will wear out quicker than QD mounted types like the 30BA because there isn't a brake to bear the initial brundt of the gases?

The can is mostly going to be used for precision type work but could also be used as my hunting setup, although my SpecWar should do fine as a hunting setup as well, so I guess what I'm wondering is if the Harvester is setup to be used in both PRECISION shooting and hunting situations or mainly for hunting purposes only? Kind of a loaded question, I know. Lol.

Thanks.

Oops, also what are your thoughts on stacking up the 30P-1 to the PS 7" model? Does db rating drop significantly?

I was saying the the Brake mount will help protect your blast baffle in the suppressor. Also having the brake on your rifle will protect the muzzle and barrel threads.

Thunder Beast also makes brakes in a large variety of thread pitches. This makes it very easy to run a TB Brake Attach suppressor on rifles with different thread pitches.

The shorter PS/BAS cans give up very little to the larger P-1/BA model suppressors. The sound difference is noticeable to my ear, but the shorter BAS still sounds good. I really like the newer 30BAS suppressor that I have.

Last edited:
I wish the Harvester was using stellite baffles like the Saker suppressors. Instead they chose to run with Stainless Steel. Silencerco is a great company and is local to me here in SLC. They build fantastic products and stand behind what they put their name on.

That being said, Thunder Beast is a tried and true performer in the precision suppressor market. I have been very impressed with their suppressors, which is the reason that I carry them in my shop. I will not stock a product that I do not believe in. I know that some of the Silencerco guys have been running TB 338 cans on their rifles for a while. It will be interesting to see if they swap over to their new 338 Harvester when it becomes available.

Hopefully, I will have my Harvester suppressor here soon, so I can do some comparisons between it and the TB cans.

Hmmmm. I'm assuming POI on the QD and Direct Thread Thunder Beast cans are very minimal?

I'd be running a thread protector on my rifles that didn't have the cans on them, but I see your point with having the QD mount.

Have you had any experience with the SpecWar 7.62 or do you not stock those in your store bud?

Thanks for all the great info.

POI Shift on the TB cans is minimal and repeatable.

I do not currently have any SpecWar suppressors in stock right now. The SpecWar 7.62 is a great suppressor for the money and is a much better hard use suppressor than the Harvester or the TB 30 caliber suppressors.

The harvester is an awesome precision rifle can. It was developed because we shoot in the PRS and wanted the best can for that style of shooting. It I super light 11 oz. The muzzle brake is super effective. And the 17-4 baffles are strong, no need to worry. We have beat the crap out of them and other than the people doing mag dump after mag dump every weekend, you won't wear this can out of diminish its performance. We offer back caps in 7/16", 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4".

The harvester is an awesome precision rifle can. It was developed because we shoot in the PRS and wanted the best can for that style of shooting. It I super light 11 oz. The muzzle brake is super effective. And the 17-4 baffles are strong, no need to worry. We have beat the crap out of them and other than the people doing mag dump after mag dump every weekend, you won't wear this can out of diminish its performance. We offer back caps in 7/16", 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4".

So the Harvester is able to handle moderate fire from 5.56, 308, and 300wm?

With it being direct thread, will that diminish the blast baffle over time rather then running a brake style can?

Last question for you James, and just trying to clarify, is y'all will be offering various back caps for different thread pitches where I could switch the can between a 308 and 5.56 rifles with their standard thread pitch?

Again this is moderate shooting, not mag dump after mag dump. If I want to do that, that's why I have y'alls SpecWar series. Ha.

Thanks

Correct, harvester will handle all of that. The blast baffle will be fine. We are the people who do mag dumps for testing.
Yes the different back caps are for different thread pitches to make it so you are able to switch guns.

Not trying to hijack this thread and I debated starting a new one.

Will the suppressors that use a muzzle brake have less recoil when shooting with the suppressor mounted on the gun than a direct thread suppressor?

Is there any difference in recoil with a suppressor using a flash hider versus a muzzle brake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have done extensive testing using force meters. There is no difference between brake inside of can versus flash hider inside of can, in either peak impulse or impulse duration.

Along those same lines is there any difference in noise suppression between using a Flash Hider versus the Muzzle brake with the suppressor attached?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, harvester will handle all of that. The blast baffle will be fine. We are the people who do mag dumps for testing.
Yes the different back caps are for different thread pitches to make it so you are able to switch guns.

Do y'all have a price point on the different back caps for the Harvester James and when can we expect them to start showing up on the site?

Thanks