• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Beast, help me chose

I was thinking of the CB2BA adapter (link). My thought was that if TBAC and Dead Air are using the same thread spec/pitch, I could convert my Nomad to run off TBAC CB muzzle devices. That has more appeal than Plan B - Area 419 all the things, for my previously stated reason: I'm a lazy sob and just want to "set and forget" my muzzle devices and swap the can around at will.
Then get a Magnus HUB and run Dead Air KeyMo or XENO setups.

Reactions: Vinnie45ACP
Dead Air would have made this easy for me had they just simply offered some version of the already wildly popular 2/3/4 ported brake a la PVA Jet Blast, APA Lil'B, 419 Hellfire. That omni directional "at least we tried" effort isn't my jam. I have a draw full of KeyMod brakes/flash hiders... well, like four of them. I'm not gonna use 'em. Wanted to 'em for when the can cleared jail, but ultimately decided I just don't like the interface for my bolt guns. Down to two things, first being I'm vain and they look like ass, and the second being no combination of washers/shims I tried could get them to time correctly and that annoyed me greatly.

Hi,

Based on what you already have and the presumption of not wanting to duplicate too much, I'd suggest these options:

1. Magnus or 338 Ultra Gen2. For maximum suppression period. The Magnus in CB or HUB mode is only 9" long, same as an Ultra 9, but way quieter. Let's not forget that 1.5"x9" long cans were the "standard full rifle suppressor" size until recently. The Magnus CB/HUB isn't any longer than this.

2. Ultra 5. For very small/light. Ultra 7 is almost as light but suppresses better.

3. Dominus-K-SR or Dominus-SR. For a fighting rifle.

To answer your questions specifically:

The Ultra 5, 7, and 9 are sort of in one "family", the 1.5" diameter. The 5 and 7 are very quiet for their size (volume) and weight, and are probably the best suppressing cans per ounce out there. The 338 Ultra and Magnus are sort of in another family, the 1.8" diameter design class for full size cans. The 338 Ultra just shares the Ultra name due to history. The Dominus-SR and Dominus-K-SR were made specifically for semi and full autos like the MK18, other SBR's, 308 SBR's and battle rifles, and don't share the same internal baffle design pattern of the Magnus/338Ultra. The Magnus internals aren't better or worse or newer or older than the Gen2 Ultra/Magnus baffles, it's just that to get the level of suppression we wanted in the Dominus-SR (ie the length specification) and have it work well on gas guns, we had to go a different baffle design.

Ultra 7 vs. 9, I'd say a better question is Ultra 7 vs Magnus. In that case, Magnus for max suppression in a .30 cal can. The Ultra 7 if you want good suppression but more compact.

The SR mount is the best mount we make. It had the same accuracy/repeatability as CB/BA/DT but mounts quicker and has a secondary lock. This is the lock we submitted on the 338 Ultra SR that AI submitted to ASR with. The way it works it is impossible for it to be "off by one" click, like many mounts that have accuracy problems. The SR mount permits cans that are otherwise good for F/A firing schedules to be rated F/A on mount retention also. The CB mount is sufficient for almost all precision rifle and semi auto shooters. It has better retention than a DT setup. The HUB mount on the Magnus is an experiment for us and is intended for people who already have an investment in another mount system and know that that system meets their needs (ie, it's on you).

Yes, a DT can is more likely to loosen vs. a CB/BA/SR suppressor.
@Zak Smith this is excellent, thanks for the writeup. A while back (maybe at the introduction of the Gen 2 Ultra line?) there was a chart published that showed the 30 cal and 6.5 cal Ultras and the NR at the shooters ear from different rifles. I thought I saved it but can't find it. Is that chart still published and out there somewhere?

gen2.jpg

The Magnus internals aren't better or worse or newer or older than the Gen2 Ultra/Magnus baffles, it's just that to get the level of suppression we wanted in the Dominus-SR (ie the length specification) and have it work well on gas guns, we had to go a different baffle design.
So would you say the Dominus is preferable to the Magnus on a gas-fed platform? Not concerned about full-auto rating, purely on gas system operation.

Between the Dominus-K-SR, Dominus-SR, and Magnus-SR, I pick the one solely based on how quiet I want it to be, vs. how much overall length I can put up with. The Magnus is overall quieter than the Dominus by quite a bit. The port pop might be louder on the longer can, but that impulse is very short compared to the overall outgassing of the suppressor (which is significantly quieter on the Magnus). This is on uppers than either run fine suppressed or are tuned to run with an Ultra5 or Dominus-K-SR (ie, a short can).

To answer your question with a different criteria, the Dominus-SR is probably my favorite on a gas gun overall because it's not too big but suppresses well.

Reactions: Vinnie45ACP
Between the Dominus-K-SR, Dominus-SR, and Magnus-SR, I pick the one solely based on how quiet I want it to be, vs. how much overall length I can put up with. The Magnus is overall quieter than the Dominus by quite a bit. The port pop might be louder on the longer can, but that impulse is very short compared to the overall outgassing of the suppressor (which is significantly quieter on the Magnus). This is on uppers than either run fine suppressed or are tuned to run with an Ultra5 or Dominus-K-SR (ie, a short can).

To answer your question with a different criteria, the Dominus-SR is probably my favorite on a gas gun overall because it's not too big but suppresses well.
I actually have a Dominus K-SR and I’m considering picking a Magnus, but my chief concern is interoperability between gas powered platforms without adjustable gas (e.g. KAC, ignoring the muzzle device problem for this conversation) and my bolt guns.

FWIW, using an analog screw-type adjustable gas block, on at least one rifle, I tried to find a setting that would run with a Magnus (or maybe it was a 338 Ultra) but would NOT run with a Dominus-K-SR, and I could not. But there was a difference from suppressed to unsuppressed.

In fact, once I went out with like 3 different SCS weights, 3 different bolt carrier weights (full aluminum to Nat'l Match), and different loads trying to find combinations that "would" work, but I ended up finding almost no combinations that would NOT run.

If you end up with a little too much gas and it runs too fast to lock back or shoulder-jams the next round, try (1) switching to the SCS, and if that's not enough, just add a little weight to it.

I went with the Magnus-HUB for my AR10, and bought direct thread as well as the DA Xeno, we will see which one I like better. I did not care about length, this gun is not built for run and gun. I have a SBR 300BLK suppressed for that.

Reactions: FuhQ
I actually have a Dominus K-SR and I’m considering picking a Magnus, but my chief concern is interoperability between gas powered platforms without adjustable gas (e.g. KAC, ignoring the muzzle device problem for this conversation) and my bolt guns.
If you're interested, shoot me a PM & I'll explain to you what I did to solve this exact problem on an SR-25. I don't know that it's THE way to do it, but it looks good & has been working fine thus far.

I have Ultras in 5" and 9", as well as some older cans from TB, as well as a take down. For my money, the Dominus hits the sweet spot in sound suppression, weight and length. I have a 1/2 off cert that I've been sitting on because I'm an idiot, but I'm fairly certain I'll use it on a Dominus CB. However, more than half my shooting is with gassers, and a fair amount of that is tactical rifle matches (read run and gun). In those matches, it's common to fire 40-50 rounds in 60-70 seconds. I've taken an IR thermometer to the range and checked the temp of the can immediately after showing clear, and I've seen temps between 600° and 700°. Yikes. For my use case, the extra durability of the Dominus makes me feel better.

My two 9" cans are long enough to make my bolt guns feel unwieldly when shooting on barricades at a PRS style match. The 9" Ultra on my Dasher is just silly quiet, though. Fred's comments about the Magnus have me thinking I need one, but I'm not sure why. My Ultras are quiet enough to send a shot or two without ear pro, and no can will make a centerfire rifle quiet enough to shoot for an extended time without ear pro. There's the cool factor of a super quiet rifle, but I can't see it makes any practical difference. I'd be interested to know if there are any numbers comparing the recoil impulses of the various cans. If the Magnus provides more "braking action", well then that's another story altogether.

None of that is probably relevant to your exact situation, I guess it's more a description of mine. I'll say this, if I were just getting into the suppressor game, I'd have a Dominus as my first can.

A bootleg adjustable carrier will solve this problem. I run them on my SR15's and Colts. Gemtech did or does make a 7,62 adjustable carrier as well.

Do the cb mounts have to be timed if you are not planning to shoot the rifle without the suppressor on the mount. Don’t want to loctite the cb to barrel, may want to shoot the rifle without suppressor and don’t want a brake on it

Do the cb mounts have to be timed if you are not planning to shoot the rifle without the suppressor on the mount. Don’t want to loctite the cb to barrel, may want to shoot the rifle without suppressor and don’t want a brake on it
Nope don't need to be timed. I actually locked the brake into my suppressor to just turn it into a direct thread.

Reactions: jmw
Nope don't need to be timed. I actually locked the brake into my suppressor to just turn it into a direct thread.
So just tighten the cb to barrel and screw the can on and should be gtg? I assume you used high temp loctite to lock them together

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
Yes.

Or run the non timed cb brake.

I think I used loctite 243 (aka what I had quick to hand). I havent had an issue screwing it on and off, but I don't try to crank it off while hot. If you're worried about it, run some 272. Either way, install with proper torque.

Reactions: jmw
Or just buy the HUB version of the Magnus, and use any real direct-thread or QD mount you want…

I went with the ultra 7, seemed like the best all around silencer in the 1-5” class for hunting. Eventually I’ll get a bigger one for other guns.

Reactions: AK74U
In case anyone was curious how the new TBAC Magnus-HUB sounds on a 16" .308 Win... It sounds amazing. 👍🏼