• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thunder beast vs Opsinc

wetboyz

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
I am looking for real world comparison between the two. Both are excellant cans and I see quite a bit of discussions here on the TB but not much on OPSinc.
Can anyone point out stats on these. Looking for the 30 cal version. Primary use is sporting and screwing off. Thank you.

Which ops inc?

generally, The ops inc is heavy and requires a special barrel profile, brke and/ collet mount.

The thunderbeast is a direct thread on any muzzle that is properly threaded.

Both sound great and my statement on the ops inc is from memory.

I have not heard them together and I have had more recent experience with the TBAC.

Thanks SC. Interesting to read about the barrel profile. I was not aware of that. I was think about the Model 12
But since I wanted to interchange them it seems the TBA is a preferred choice.

Which ops inc?

generally, The ops inc is heavy and requires a special barrel profile, brke and/ collet mount.

The thunderbeast is a direct thread on any muzzle that is properly threaded.

Both sound great and my statement on the ops inc is from memory.

I have not heard them together and I have had more recent experience with the TBAC.

I have shot both and now own 2 ops inc, for no other reason than ops has been tested, and are proven tough as hell. I know two individuals who have shot out multiple bbls and are still running the same ops inc can. With that said if you are looking for interchangeability I would looke the thunder beast. Both are close to best in class for noise reduction.

I will give you some quick notes.

TBAC is lighter in weight then OPS INC 12th
OPS INC will be more quiet
OPS INC takes more barrel work to make it fit and you have to use their brake
They are both going to last due to material choice
TBAC will be your most repeatable, most accurate suppressor out of the many I have shot with.
The OPS INC brake are known to affect accuracy of the gun when the can is off. I have personally had this happen to me.

For my money, as a multi use suppressor I am going to the TBAC. Simply because the OPS will require more machining to allow it to fit onto a barrel.

Hope that helps!

If you want a Mk12 / SPR clone, get the OpsInc. It's a nice can, but otherwise get the TBAC.

Thank you gentlemen. It does seem that the additional barrel work puts a bigger negative in the OPSinc. So, on a non dedicated gun it appears to be the TBA. When I squirrel more away I will go dedicated OPS. Again, thanks for your input.

I am looking for real world comparison between the two. Both are excellant cans and I see quite a bit of discussions here on the TB but not much on OPSinc.
Can anyone point out stats on these. Looking for the 30 cal version. Primary use is sporting and screwing off. Thank you.

If you know both are "Excellent" cans why do we need to tell you about them? Just courious. Maybe your just being nice? :)
The last OPS group buy went south and the seller is no longer a member here. TBAC is a topic here a lot for good reason as you know by the discussions you have been reading.

KYS or KYS338 is correct in his info given. No sense in just saying it again. :)

I am going to have to go with longer name. Slow day at work. :(

Last edited:
If you know both are "Excellent" cans why do we need to tell you about them? Just courious. Maybe your just being nice? :)
The last OPS group buy went south and the seller is no longer a member here. TBAC is a topic here a lot for good reason as you know by the discussions you have been reading.

KYS or KYS338 is correct in his info given. No sense in just saying it again. :)

I am going to have to go with longer name. Slow day at work. :(

I would go with the TBAC.

If you know both are "Excellent" cans why do we need to tell you about them? Just curious. Maybe your just being nice? :)
:(

Hey, thanks for the flame! And yes, I was being nice. Not everyone is a dick in what they say when requesting information.
What I was looking for are the comments other contributors made above about modifications to the barrel of which I was unaware of until I asked of which I noted above and before your comment.
Also, you second comment was more in line and i appreciated that.
Smiley faces dont always cut the person slack. I guess that's how new people are treated asking a question.

While the 12th Model does require a special barrel contour, there are those who can provide this for Mk 12 clone customers:

IMG_0005_52.jpg

IMG_0016_10.jpg

IMG_0003_37.jpg

While the 12th Model does require a special barrel contour, there are those who can provide this for Mk 12 clone customers:

Wes or Paul, I went to you sight. Work harder ;)
Anyway, thanks for the response. It appears that on the upper you have added a bushing/adapter and barrel extension to fit their flash hider. Damn smart. Are you going to be selling those as stand alone pieces? I also sent you an email.

Last edited:
Might talk to Mark at Accurate Ordnance. He's done some testing same day same rifle. You might find it interesting.

RonA

Last edited:
Might talk to Mark at Accurate Ordnance. He's done some testing same day same rifle. You might find it interesting.

RonA

He has "done some testing" in what regards? How can we find it interesting if you won't give us more info!?

He has "done some testing" in what regards? How can we find it interesting if you won't give us more info!?
Good call.

Other cans can be good; or bad. Pay your money, wait your seven months, and take your chances. But TBAC is a proven precision can, and I have no better precision cans. And I have never returned a TBAC the manufacturer with yet another $200 check because it wouldn't group, which is more than I can say for some of the others.

It really depends on what your primary use is going to be. If you are going to put it on a semi-auto and run it hard, the obvious choice is Ops Inc. TBAC does not recommend their TI cans for hard semi-auto use.

I have multiple TBAC cans and Ops Inc as well. If you are looking for the quietest suppressor for an AR15, the Ops Inc 12th Model is the best that I have heard. I have shot surefire, AAC, Gemtech, YHM, and many others and none of them sound as good as an Ops Inc. My Ops Inc 12th model shifts my POI approximately 1" down at 100. But my SPR does not get shot without it mounted either, so POI shift doesn't matter much to me. I had my SPR with the 12th model mounted at the range a couple weeks ago and had an individual come over and ask me if I was shooting a 22LR or pellet gun. At the time I was shooting M855 ball ammo. It really is amazing how well the 12th model performs.

On a precision rifle, I would go with a TBAC. They are great suppressors, which are lightweight and very quiet. My TBAC cans typically have about a 1" down POI shift when mounted.

If I was going to buy one suppressor for a .30 caliber semi-auto that I was going to run hard and have it serve double duty on a precision rifle, I would go with the Ops Inc out of your two choices. If you are going to run it gently on a semi-auto, I would go with the TBAC and save some weight and not have to worry about profiling your barrels for the Ops Inc.

Last edited:
12th model owner since 06. My only centerfire can. Even with all the 'new' stuff that has 'surpassed' OPS, I have never regretted spending what I did on my 12th. If I run into too much crap trying to get a Mk11 can mated to my SR 25, I'll probably have a .30 12th model installed.

No one is saying that the OPS INC is a bad choice but finding a suppressor to fit many needs is a selective process. I have both TBAC and OPS. I enjoy them both for the role they fill for me.

I own two ops cans, a 12th 556 and a 12th 30 cal. I have never owned or shot a thunder beast so I can't "compare" but will say I won't be buying anything other than ops for the foreseeable future. I got the 30cal fairly recently and on my 16 inch bolt gun it suprised the fuck out of me and sounds badass. I've had the 12th 556 for a while and have shot a metric fuckton thru it and its awsome, I'm 100% satisfied customer.

One can read all they want on pros and cons of direct thread and multiple contact cans, I have my opinions and so I chose but some peeps can't get over the collar or machined barrel step so they choose others.

As long as you do a bit of research before you purchase, you should be fine. Some guys like Fords, some like Chevys. Both get you to the job site.

I own a 16th model and i have yet to hear a quieter .223 can. The tone is phenomenal. As far as accuracy/repeatability goes. The Ops does a great job. I can remove the can and put it back on with no change in POI.

Talk to Mark at Accurate Ordnance about the AE-30 cans. They are similar to the Ops cans in design but are a direct thread can that indexes off a profiled barrel. The repeatability is phenomenal. Not to mention the cans sound awesome.

I have Ops Inc. cans on both my work guns (M4 & .308 bolt gun) - phenomenal suppressors.

It appears that on the upper you have added a bushing/adapter and barrel extension to fit their flash hider. Damn smart. Are you going to be selling those as stand alone pieces? I also sent you an email.

All you're really seeing here is a barrel collar that abuts a shelf or step in the barrel. It helps of of course to know how to dimension everything. This collar with the Ops-Inc Mk 12 brake and thread protector.