• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Valley 3-13-11 Intimidator practice day

mscott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Ohio
A few of us got to talking and thought a practice day was a good idea, so with Tom's blessing here it is. The idea is to shoot the Intimidator course with corrections coming from the guy in the spotting scope if needed. With any luck we can get good dope on each target for the next match. We'll still shoot as a 2 man team for the practice aspect of it since calling corrections through the rifle scope is good practice as well. Weather could be an issue, so if it rains the days before and the range is too wet we may not be able to drive the whole course. That call will have to be made probably the day before. Hate to use 4 letter words on here, but we could <span style="font-style: italic">walk </span> the course if needed.

Start time will be 9:00, but if you come a little later you'll still be able to shoot since we'll be on position 1 for a little while.

Standard range fees apply. $20 for members, $30 for non-members, $50 for memberships. Correct change would be helpful.

Re: Thunder Valley 3-13-11 Intimidator practice day

I can't make it. I will still be in Arizona.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CamoWildcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't make it. I will still be in Arizona.
laugh.gif
</div></div>
If you can't say anything nice ...........
grin.gif

The only 308 ammo I have available right now is factory 168 and 155, and I'd be running a 20" barrel. Would that work on that course?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only 308 ammo I have available right now is factory 168 and 155, and I'd be running a 20" barrel. Would that work on that course? </div></div>

The ammo should be fine as long as you have a drop chart for it and enough adjustment in your scope.

20" barrel, plenty enough and have an extra 5" to spare.

Topstrap

I'm really looking forward to getting out there for this practice day.

Thanks for setting this up. Now let's hope for some "warmish" dry weather!

This is how I have been spending my weekends.
Working on parts for this.

IMG_4619.jpg

IMG_4620.jpg

The blade is four foot in diameter.

I need some tickets.
Be there as soon as I can.
TC

I hope to make it on the 13th. Tom just got thru installing a brake on my 6.5x47 Lapua for me and it looks phenomenal! Thanks again Tom for going the extra mile, can't wait to try it out. Edit: Thanks to Gerald Kuthy of Custom Blue for the brake. Took the rifle to TVP and later found out Gerald is the one that did the work for TVP. So, thanks to Tom and Gerald. I just need to work up my final loads. It hammers the 123 Scenars, but Tom has convinced me to give the 140's a try.
IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

Don't forget to "spring forward" and move your clocks up an hour Saturday night.

I'm planning on it.

Yes,
We will be walking for sure. Anyone who absolutely needs a ride can ride in the emergency range vehicle and those who can't carry their gear can throw it in the back.
It's as wet as I've ever seen it. The ground is soft for at least 2'. I've had to stay in the tall grass to keep the Rhino from rutting up the trails. Being that it's open range day the walks wont be far.
See you all this weekend.

Looks like I'll be coming up on the 12th for the open range day.

Anyone else near Dayton going Saturday?

<span style="font-weight: bold">...ready to go....just got done reloading...now I have to "dial" in my dope on my Droid X and Shooter's App...</span>

65live1.jpg

65live2.jpg

65live3.jpg

65live4.jpg

65live5.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">those who can't carry their gear can throw it in the back.

Being that it's open range day the walks wont be far.
See you all this weekend. </div></div>

Thanks for the offer to carry all the gear in the Rhino. I know 4 of us are planning on shooting all 4 positions of the Intimidator.

See ya there Sunday.

..looks like a change of plans....I'm <span style="font-weight: bold">in </span>for the Saturday Open range....<span style="font-weight: bold">out </span>for Sunday's Intimidator Practice....

Never being at TVP yet, I was wondering if a 300wm is allowed on the Intimidator Course? Are there any targets that it would not be appropiate for?

KTM,

Yes, you can use anything up to a .338 LM on the Intimidator.
Some of our shorter distance targets (300 yards) and under are being switched out to .5" AR 500 just for that reason.
Don't hesitate to come on out and shoot with us, we would be glad to have you.

Lonewolf,

The .300 Win mag is a great choice. Also consider a .300 WSM or .260 Rem. All three of these will shoot out to our mile targets with the same degree of accuracy and MOA on average.
Your welcome to come out and shoot with us and demo our TVP rifles out to a mile.

Thanks Tom, I am going to try and make it. My first long range experience was at Rayner's a few weeks ago and I was in your squad (shooting a TRG). I could tell from that I need a whole bunch more range time and have no idea of how to be a spotter, so be gentle with me.

wish i could make it..its been too long since ive been out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KTM690Enduro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Tom, I am going to try and make it. My first long range experience was at Rayner's a few weeks ago and I was in your squad (shooting a TRG). I could tell from that I need a whole bunch more range time and have no idea of how to be a spotter, so be gentle with me. </div></div>

you have a TRG and (im assuming) a ktm enduro? i hate you so much
grin.gif

Re: Open range day

Open range day can be used to tune and zero your rifles as well as get dope from the benches for them. You can shoot 100 200 300 400 500 600 700 1000 1100 and 1200 and one mile from the benches and create a very accurate drop chart that then can be used and fine tuned on the Intimidator and or short course. It's a relaxing day of shooting and sharing loading info as well as meeting new shooters who share the same interests.
Looks like a good crowd so far.

Wow 6.5x61.. That is some serious loading time there. I can only imaging all the steps your taking when I see you are pointing and trimming metplats. Ive thought about it especially with the inconsistency in the SMK metplats. Do you find it gives you that much more accurate/consistency?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Wow 6.5x61.. That is some serious loading time there. I can only imaging all the steps your taking when I see you are pointing and trimming metplats. Ive thought about it especially with the inconsistency in the SMK metplats. Do you find it gives you that much more accurate/consistency?
</div></div>

..yeah.........got frustrated trying to find Berger 140 gr. VLD's.....

..well I got BIG TIME LUCKY and found (800) 139 gr. lapua Scenars for $31/100 shipped!!

Soon thereafter...got a Whidden Pointer and Meplat Trimmer..in between bow hunting sessions..I pointed..and pointed..and pointed.....did I say I pointed??

as for accuracy's sake....well tomorrow it is gonna BLOW....wind that is...we shall see...

One good promise.....my "reduced" load of 55.2 gr. of 4831SC pushes the 139 gr. Lapua at 2,930 fps with a chamber pressure of roughly 47,000 psi. I have been shooting 1/4 MOA [when the wind don't BLOW]... so far with with VIRGIN brass = not fireformed!!...

..that load is right on the 5th Node for OBT at 1.5573ms.

My next load which will be with fireformed brass should be around 2,975 fps.

...Quickloads says I can safely get 3,180 fps......but for the sake of barrel life..I will stick to less than 50,000 psi!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chickeneye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you have a TRG and (im assuming) a ktm enduro? i hate you so much
grin.gif
</div></div>

blush.gif
Chickeye, please don't hate me too much! I just had the good fortune to have some stock and options bought out from me at work last year and I promptly squandered the proceeds on some new toys. I figured much more fun than a retirement account.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KTM690Enduro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Tom, I am going to try and make it. My first long range experience was at Rayner's a few weeks ago and I was in your squad (shooting a TRG). I could tell from that I need a whole bunch more range time and have no idea of how to be a spotter, so be gentle with me. </div></div>

Rayner's was just bait. Once you shoot the Intimidator course the hook will be set and you can't get away.

Tom,

I see you made references to Benches... Will we be able to shoot Prone also at these ? I really have no use for a bench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rayner's was just bait. Once you shoot the Intimidator course the hook will be set and you can't get away. </div></div>

You know that's what I have been afraid of. I suppose Sunday will just be chum to keep me worked up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom,

I see you made references to Benches... Will we be able to shoot Prone also at these ? I really have no use for a bench.
</div></div>

Yes you can get prone right beside the each bench

Ace,

Shooters can feel free to pull a table up next to the benches and lay prone on them. Very stable and DRY to boot. Just lay out your shooting mat and you become very comfortable and dry.
We have a few to fix here soon but it's on my TO DO list.
I've been trying to do some range work and set up two new steel course but mother nature keeps dumping snow on the hills of TVP! Guess she thinks we need the extra water. Things will shape up here soon though.
Looking forward to tomorrow. I will be in and out helping some customers with new toys so if anyone needs me just flag me down.

.....A GREAT RANGE DAY....a lot of new faces indeed...

All I can say is that we are pretty DAMNED PRIVILEGED to have a long range benchrest and tactical rifle range at our disposal...

..you guys have fun tomorrow.....good thing the wind is gonna calm down a little...it BLEW like a MOTHER today!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mhMeBm_RRuA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mhMeBm_RRuA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WXnPk6Ftmo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WXnPk6Ftmo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFEiJwzrd9o"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFEiJwzrd9o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-UZK_YyCBsc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-UZK_YyCBsc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NyW-SR9RckE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NyW-SR9RckE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Saturday was just really windy. Not too cold though. First time shooting at TVP and everyone there was super friendly and helped me out. Nice bunch of shooters. Thanks to all.

Enjoyed shooting from under cover. Worked out some kinks and feel better about the new rifle, suppressor and load. Found out how difficult shooting with a very stiff wind makes longer shots. Steel is a nice time saver, not having to truck down range to check targets and all. Got dope out to 400, now I'm not so disenchanted with my stubby little 16" 223. Should work for the short course just fine.

your welcome for the Thruster Brake
Thank you for giving credit where credit is due
Gerald

I hope I did not mislead anyone. I'm completely happy with my brake and service I recieved from TVP and all other parties involved. They did a fantastic job and I would do it all over again.