• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Valley Precision (TVP) Steel Shoot 1-3-10

Re: Thunder Valley Precision (TVP) Steel Shoot 1-3-10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bike1469</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR and pistol shooting are fun </div></div>

Being from the Columbus area, do you shoot USPSA or Multigun at PCSI?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bike1469</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking forward to checking out your range....AR and pistol shooting are fun, but this looks like a great challange!
New to long range shooting, but have a Rem 700 action started and should have it together by spring. May drive out from Columbus on 1/3/10 to meet the crew and check out the operation. How many shooters are you expecting? </div></div>

Bike1469.. I live in columbus myself. Let me know if you have any questions, want to get together to shoot, or need help getting to TVP..

Shooters,

Thanks for the help with the new guys questions....I've been away from here a couple days. Looks like a nice turn out on 1-3. Lots of shooters and several spectators.

I'm working on our 2010 schedule....Should be two months at a time so folks can have plenty of time to prepare.

Short range course is a go....I just need to lay it out. It will be 600 yards and under....the reason for this is most rifles can get out to this range with out special mounts/scopes...most of the time. This will allow NEW shooters the chance to see what it's like to shoot ALMOST long range and what they will need to pursue the "Intimidator" distances. Lots of shooters out there with .223's and under. This is an experimental course. We will tweak it along the way.

Thanks for all the ideas. Now I will try and reply to some questions I've received.

Tom
TVP

Re: Thunder Valley Precision (TVP) Steel Shoot 1-3

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anybody heard from Rodent? </div></div>

I'm here. I have been scimming the posts just nothing to really contribute.

I will be trying my damndest to get there. Looks like Josh and I may car pool. I should know by Wednesday. I may bring my son again.

All,
I do think that the price Tom charges is a sweet ass deal. He and I have discussed this several times. I'm glad he is able to keep the price where it is and I'm glad to see he can get the patronage he gets.

Later,
RODENT

P.S. Tom - I need to get the LTR out and kill some yotes with you.

Rodent,

Nice to here from you...bring that .223 to the shoot.

As for yotes...there's plenty. I'm starting tomorrow!

Tom

Glen,

Can you get with jon..the designer of the TVP Score Sheet..on improvements like the (under 5 min bonus)? Was there anything else too add?

Tom

Tom, let me know what you need changed, I still have the file saved I can make mods to it pretty easy.

Also Tom, if I was to take you up on my buddy using your 308, what should I load up for it? I have a bunch of 168 amax's that Im not using anymore since I switched to the 178's, so Id like to load those up, and I remember you saying thats what you shot out of it anyway. So in Lapua brass, with 210M primers, and varget, what powder charge should I use and seating depth if you remember? Thanks.

Thanks a TON to Scott for hooking me up with the (300) 210M primers he had laying around, what a guy!

Ive been out trying to load some more ammo lately, its been so damn long I don't remember what is what out there! I was getting flat primers all the sudden this summer so had to disassemble a bunch of rounds and back down the powder...I forgot to write down what I backed it down to haha! And I found a few that got missed and still had the heavier charge in them, who knows where my bullets will be going on the 3rd haha.

No problem Tom.
Since you have a direct line to Santa have you told him how good I've been?
Will he have something extra special for me by X-mas?

Jon,
Go ahead and mail me the file.
Could you also send the range card you did last year too?
I'll take a look at it tonite.
Include your number in case I don't have it.
You're local for me.
Thank's
Glen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill post this up for everybody to use incase you dont have it yet. Its the log sheet I came up with earlier this year for the "Intimidator"

www.area419.com/guns/match_log.xlsx </div></div>

Jon, quick questions on your sheet (great job BTW). What does the FV (in the wind) and E/W (for corrections) stand for?
Curt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill post this up for everybody to use incase you dont have it yet. Its the log sheet I came up with earlier this year for the "Intimidator"

Jon, quick questions on your sheet (great job BTW). What does the FV (in the wind) and E/W (for corrections) stand for?
Curt </div></div>

FV stands for Full Value Wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill post this up for everybody to use incase you dont have it yet. Its the log sheet I came up with earlier this year for the "Intimidator"

Curt </div></div>

FV stands for Full Value Wind. </div></div>

Correct, the FV is what the computer says <span style="text-decoration: underline">I</span> should dial for a full value 10mph wind. You will have to change that field for your own ballistics.

The "Dial E/W" field is to record what you actually dialed for the particular shot. So if the sheet told you to dial 35moa elevation and 4moa wind, but when it came down to it you actually dialed 37moa and 5moa you'd write down 37/5. Just a quick way to record your dope for the shots.

The "CALL" field, if you didnt figure that out, is what your spotter told you if you missed the target (ie: 1.5 moa low, .5 left). Or "HIT" if you hit it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill post this up for everybody to use incase you dont have it yet. Its the log sheet I came up with earlier this year for the "Intimidator"

i disagree with some of the target distances on your sheet. we lasered the entire coarse with a vectronix plrf and came up with a few different yardages than what is listed. the last team match of the season my dope was tracking perfectly using the updated distances. not trying to cause an issue but i will provide them if you would like

I would like those numbers to check what I have. I have seen different numbers from different people a few times.

Thank's, you're right.
Jon put this together and shared, because it helped him.
Team is not which has the highest score, but how have we helped?
This is a WIP.

Dgunn,
If it isn't too much trouble, dig out your log book and look up the numbers you got with the vectronix. I'm interested to hear what the differences were. Thanks.

Josh Hamilton

me too I have been working on getting all my moa dope converted over to mils so the correct yards would be nice

Those are the yards that we have been given to use.
Can we hit them, or can we hit them?
Do we have proper dope for ourselves?
Wanna score too?
Spot?

pos 1: 550-950-1165-875
pos 2: 550-865-670-775
pos 3: 275-365-570-1040
pos 4: 570-505-729-592

these are what we recorded with the vectronix. it is what i used last season and it worked good for me. target 4 on pos 3 being 40yds more than what was thought explains why i always see people shoot way low out of the gate on it. thats a big difference on something like a .308

hope this helps and good shooting!

dg

Thanks dgunn,
This info will be helpful to the new guys and vets of the "Intimidator" steel course.

Ok guys....take a vote time. Should we now call the steel course the "Intimidator"? It seems to be sticking... Or does someone else have another title for the course?

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks dgunn,
This info will be helpful to the new guys and vets of the "Intimidator" steel course.

Ok guys....take a vote time. Should we now call the steel course the "Intimidator"? It seems to be sticking... Or does someone else have another title for the course?

Tom </div></div>

no problem...just trying to help. maybe one could take an average of everyones ranges and go with that.

intimidator is cool as it is usually what happens when guys get to pos one and can't pic out the targets on the hillsides with their naked eyes. pucker factor kicks in.....

Why is there a pucker factor?
We are being ridiculed by us.

We are helping us to get done quicker.

less time to fix, than talk about.

Riddler,

There are alot of new guys who show up and "defeat" themselves before they get started. After shooting the course a couple of times they settle in as you know by your own experiences here at TVP. This sport is fun and challenging and...well yes....intimidating. My enjoyment is watching.....shooters like you.... learn and evolve into precision shooters by paying attention and keeping detailed log books. If you don't have a log book...you simply WONT retain it in your memory or ultimately instinctively..you must compare notes and data from match to match...target to target position to position ...good time to utlize the "TIME" we have between postions/stages.
I'm looking forward to 1-3-10 shoot..lots of new shooters to entertain and to introduce to longrange precision shooting.

Tom
TVP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Riddler,
</div></div>

Laughing my ass off at this.. Glenn, I think you just got an official new nickname.
smile.gif

Thanks Dgunn, I was looking at that sheet thinking those distances werent right. So I checked out my logbook before work today and I had that same sheet, but with written in distances from one of the last times I was there...they all pretty much match what you listed.

The ranges on the sheet I posted were the original distances Tom gave out based on Mil ranging I believe. Once I got my LRF last spring I noticed a few discrepancies also.

Sorry for the confusion guys. Ultimately the ranges dont have that much of an effect though, unless you come with flawless dope you are going to have to adjust anyway.

Im also really looking forward to this shoot, I wonder what the weather will be like...is there snow on the ground yet down there Tom?

Another vote for the "Intimidator". Maybe if there's an artist on here it could be used on this year's t-shirts.
"TVP ... Home of the Intimidator"

What has anyone else found out by shooting in cold weather? The last few cold 20 degree days we had I got some chrono data. I left my ammo in a pile of snow for an hour or so. It had no effect on Retumbo or Varget, but I lost 100 fps with RL25. That could make a difference.

Glenn got his nickname last year, but it's finally catching on.

Thanks for the target distances Dgunn. I've kept track of my data at every match and never worried about the advertised distances. I'll have to go back to my JBM charts to see if it makes any sense.

I just wanted the correct distances to cross what i have on each target compared to what my NF ballistic program says i should dial in. Having the correct distances make me trust the program more its pretty close now.

Tom Sarver said:
Riddler,

There are alot of new guys who show up and "defeat" themselves before they get started. After shooting the course a couple of times they settle in as you know by your own experiences here at TVP. This sport is fun and challenging and...well yes....intimidating. My enjoyment is watching.....shooters like you.... learn and evolve into precision shooters by paying attention and keeping detailed log books. If you don't have a log book...you simply WONT retain it in your memory or ultimately instinctively..you must compare notes and data from match to match...target to target position to position ...good time to utlize the "TIME" we have between postions/stages.
I'm looking forward to 1-3-10 shoot..lots of new shooters to entertain and to introduce to longrange precision shooting.

Tom
TVP
I need to start keeping a log book,I have been there 5-6 times last year,and never wrote a single thing down.I have no excuses,other than being lazy!Maybe I spend too much time B.S.ing with everyone.Maybe that will be my new years resolution,to acquire some data!

Another vote for the "Intimidator

Thanks for the distances Dgunn

Praying for good weather on the 3rd

I think it has a nice ring to it.

29lbjtj.jpg

Breeze, you are making the range cards!
Do you want close-ups too?

Last January was my first shoot.
550 was the farthest I ever shot, and had dope on it from fall.
950 was a different story.

Course should leave you with a sense of awe, not intimidation.

Range record is held by first time shooter to course.

Riddler

This gives me an idea, if we could use these pictures (blown up a little) and laminated at each station posted on a stand showing the course lay-out. This would eliminate shooters...even those who have shot the course 6 times haha from asking or slowing down the match. They could just look at the picture and get a good reference. Or we could make these up...laminate them and hand them out to the shooters for a small fee(what it takes to make them) for their range books? Always having extras available for the new shooters showing up. Hmm....any other ideas you guys may have let us know.

Tom
TVP

Just by looking at pics before hand.
Not intimadating.
Just different, as we all are.

If Santa comes, have a safe and happy holidays.
See Ya on the third.

Alright guys I talked to Tom today and got the prices of the new steel tatgets for sponcership.There will be 32 12" X 12" targets and 16 man size silhouett targets up for grab. For those of you that would like to help out the range with the price of the steel the sponcership price per target will be. Thanks!

$50.- for a 12" X 12" Tatget

$100.- for the man size silhouett target

So, to clarify- this is Pos 1? and there are four pos total? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think it has a nice ring to it.

29lbjtj.jpg

</div></div>

So Glenn, when did you have tom build ya?

I wish I could afford to have him me build something!
Let's just say I need to convert my dope to real numbers.
Can somebody come up with a calculator to convert from base 12.5 to base 10?
Starting value will not be zero.

Freddy just gave me a crash course on excel this morning.
Gonna work on the score sheet, and see what you guy's think.

I'll sponser 875@ station 1.
These are our targets. No AP PLEASE!

Glen,

WE ARE A .50 CAL FRIENDLY RANGE BUT.......

Your correct...NO AP! NO .50 cals either. Someone with a .50 showed up and blew holes through my steel targets...after I said NO steel shooting with .50 cals unless you bring the steel. They obviously knew they were doing it... as some of the plates were TOTALLY destroyed and left laying on the ground. I guess they though it was cool or neat to watch a hole get blown through it. I still haven't figured out who it was.

So again....NO 50 CAL. SHOOTING AT STEEL. IF YOU DO AND I CATCH YOU...YOU WILL BE TERMINATED FROM THE RANGE!
This is about as nice as I can say this. Please respect our rules.

If someone wants a steel course for .50 cals we will do it and form a .50 cal. club to do so. A special target will have to be made up and placed in a SAFE shooting area. Which will not be a problem. Any takers...let me know.

Thanks Glen...

Tom
TVP

Shooters,

If possible I will have stakes with ribbons on them so you can identify the targets easier. They can also serve as wind direction/speed flags. IF YOU WANT THEM. Ribbons will be all the same length so wind speed value can be determined at each target/station.

For those who don't know this info..... It will take a certain wind speed to lift and keep a ribbon or wind flag at a certain degree like 45 deg. or 90 deg. Example: If a flag is hanging limp and no movement there is no wind. If it's fluttering at 45 degs. that means there is a 10 mph wind value...if it's standing straight out 90 degs. it's a 20 mph wind value.. if it's standing straight up....well your screwed.

I will cut ribbon (for weight) cutomized just for these values to make it easier for shooters to learn what to look for in wind correction.

Tom
TVP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright guys I talked to Tom today and got the prices of the new steel tatgets for sponcership.There will be 32 12" X 12" targets and 16 man size silhouett targets up for grab. For those of you that would like to help out the range with the price of the steel the sponcership price per target will be. Thanks!

$50.- for a 12" X 12" Tatget

$100.- for the man size silhouett target </div></div>

Are these AR500?

Scott,

No...they are AR 400. My supplier hooked me and he used this same steel to build our B-mods and Stick'ems for our LE training classes. I shot these with my .260 at 200 yards and no dent/dimple just lead splatter. Basically just removes the paint where the bullet hits.

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott,

No...they are AR 400. My supplier hooked me and he used this same steel to build our B-mods and Stick'ems for our LE training classes. I shot these with my .260 at 200 yards and no dent/dimple just lead splatter. Basically just removes the paint where the bullet hits.

Tom </div></div>

Sweet. Email sent.