• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunderbeast Magnus vs 338U.

RickyRodney

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2014
MD
I have a cert. I plan to get a dominus eventually but want a larger .30 cal can. Should I go for the extra size and weight for 338u? Is it worth it for the performance? It will get used on a 300prc, .308, 6-6.5 creeds, 300blk, 5.56.

I’m 50/50 I’ll ever get an 8.6 blk, so I’m not totally convinced there.

I was in the same predicament as you and ended up choosing the ultra. It’s currently still in jail but my main reason is if I ever do decide to get a 8.6 blk or 338 Norma Ive got it covered and can always get the Magnus later.

If weight or length isn’t a concern no reason not to get the 338.

Reactions: mettee
I have a cert. I plan to get a dominus eventually but want a larger .30 cal can. Should I go for the extra size and weight for 338u? Is it worth it for the performance? It will get used on a 300prc, .308, 6-6.5 creeds, 300blk, 5.56.

I’m 50/50 I’ll ever get an 8.6 blk, so I’m not totally convinced there.
If you don't plan to go larger then .30 caliber...The Magnus-HUB is going to be the route I'd go. I really like mine.

Last edited:
Totally worth it... 338u gen2 quietest best sounding can ever made fact....if you know .. You know

I was in the same predicament as you and ended up choosing the ultra. It’s currently still in jail but my main reason is if I ever do decide to get a 8.6 blk or 338 Norma Ive got it covered and can always get the Magnus later.
This was my rational for buying a 338U SR. Plus I already have a large volume 30 cal can and there was a 338U SR Gen2 at a local dealer. I've been happy with the 338 and on the rifle it lives on the extra size isn't a detriment.

I went with the Magnus, while the 338 is a touch quieter... the extra size/weight pushed me toward the Magnus. And the Magnus is super quiet. Heck I have a Dominus and that is stupid quiet, so I knew I would like anything above it.

Reactions: K80/6.5 and FuhQ