• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Tick proofing ghillie?

calling4life

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2011
MN, United States
Any of you gents ever sprayed your ghillie suit down with that silicone type sportsmans spray?
I've used it on some over whites and the stuff actually works, keeps water beaded so it runs off, as opposed to absorbing it like a sponge.

So I was wondering if it would be a worthwhile solution to assist in keeping the suit from becoming an anchor in say a squirt of rain, or brief kneeling on wet ground, perhaps snow.

Yes, I realize it won't give me the ability to walk under water without getting wet.

I appreciate the help gentleman.

Re: ghillie waterproofing?

Alot of people over build their suits,all you really need is about 25% jute and the rest natural veg.,it helps from over loading your suit when you get wet.If your running skidplates 1000d cordura is a good barrier for a damp ground.

Hell if you don't get wet,bug bit,drity and smell like 10 day old ass,whats the fun in the suit....HAHA!!!

As Scott said, Cordura is waterproof enough. And don't worry about getting wet, it happens, just use less jute.

Psst......natural veg beads up water.
wink.gif

Veg is the edge.

I should have mentioned this; I'm not a sniper in the military, I don't use it to belly crawl into position on a human target.

It is for coyotes, I sit in a cabelas gobbler lounger, thus the want to have ghillie material 360°. I wanted a ghillie to also help hide my movement while hand calling, or at least help disguise it from being recognized as human.

It is get in and get out, I don't stop to veg it up, I'd spend too much time adding and taking veg away. Now if I didn't hand call and was laying prone off a carcass, your guys' suit styles would be gold.

But, the point on mudding it up is well taken, and I doubt she'd hold that spray well after that.