• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tier one scope or thermal optic?

Excelsior32

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2014
North Florida
As a lifelong hunter and competitive shooter(sporting clays), I might have a different need than those on this forum. But I have been researching various options for hunting, and finding game with my aging eyesight. I am torn between the highest lens quality and thermal/technological capabilities. Am old school in the concept that batteries die and do not depend on technology over techniques(buying a range finder vs learning how to stalk closer). I love the idea of the Burris Eliminator 5 as well. So I am curious what those here think about the choice between a $2-3K plus scope compared to a thermal scope if they had to choose only one for hunting needs. Also the application would be for farm use in North Florida with a highly corrosive salt air environment. So because of exposure, our equipment wears out quicker than most environments. Since this is a tactical community and the professionals here rely on their equipment in combat, I am definitely curious for the input. And because of financial restraints, I can only have one for my primary work rifle. The ranges I work with are mostly 50 to 400 yard cow fields. We have 800 yard shots, but I choose to get closer if coyotes are that far. As for deer and game, will there be restrictions on where I can hunt around the country with a thermal optic? I currently use a 17 year old Luepold VX 3 4.5-14, and a Bushnell XRS 2 with 4.5-30x magnification on my go to rifles. The Bushnell has been great but on the heavy side for a hunting/stalking rifle. The Leupold is the best low light scope I have found. But the one inch main tube isn’t as clear at longer distances, as the 30-35mm scopes I have been able to test. Has anyone ran thermal scopes for a lengthy period of time? Between the two options for a lifetime of use, which is preferred(given the warranties by companies for electronic options)? Will the optical clarity and longevity of an “Apex” scope be more practical, hunting day or night with a flood light over a thermal scope? I have loved the entry level thermal scope I got to test during turkey season and was shocked at the capabilities. Also I used my dad’s Ziess scope and some Swarovski optics, and see the advantages of that degree of clarity. So just throwing this out there for more versed users insight. If only one could be chosen, what would it be?