• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tight bolt on Remington XCR comp

paxamus

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2013
Alabama
Hey guys,
I just bought my first NEW bolt action, its a Remington 700 .308 XCR Comp Tactical. I love the thing groups nice so far, only put 30 or so through it. My question is the rifle feeds fine and bolt is smooth, however AFTER each shot the bolt is significantly harder to cycle the action. I grew up shooting/hunting with my fathers bolt actions, and they were already well broken in, but this is my first brand new bolt action. Is this common and will it get better the more I shoot or is it something else? It did it with two different types of ammo as well, all production from two different manufacturers. If the rounds were not shot then no issues with tightness. I know that the brass expands, but I was a little surprised by how tight. Any input is appreciated. I will post up some groups when I get brave to show all of y'all!
Sorry for the lengthy post

Check your firing pen and spring, it could be getting fouled. I had the same problem on my 308 remy. The bolt has to be broken down to check.

Firing pen? fouled? causing hard bolt lift? Perhaps someone could describe further how fouling gets inside the bolt in quantities that would cause bolt lift issues?

OP, double check the action screws as mentioned already, they could be touching the bottom bolt lug. Though it seems like it would do it upon closing as well as opening, so I doubt it is that. If not, you may check the chamber for debris (very small obviously) that could be jamming you up after firing.

Hey guys,
I just bought my first NEW bolt action, its a Remington 700 .308 XCR Comp Tactical. I love the thing groups nice so far, only put 30 or so through it. My question is the rifle feeds fine and bolt is smooth, however AFTER each shot the bolt is significantly harder to cycle the action. I grew up shooting/hunting with my fathers bolt actions, and they were already well broken in, but this is my first brand new bolt action. Is this common and will it get better the more I shoot or is it something else? It did it with two different types of ammo as well, all production from two different manufacturers. If the rounds were not shot then no issues with tightness. I know that the brass expands, but I was a little surprised by how tight. Any input is appreciated. I will post up some groups when I get brave to show all of y'all!
Sorry for the lengthy post

Just to be clear this is significantly tougher bolt lift than just dry firing and then lifting the bolt? Not just tougher than cycling the action over and over in the cocked position? Also post some pics of the base of your cases so we can see if there are any major pressure issues evident by flattened primers or ejector marks. thanks

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Check your firing pen and spring, it could be getting fouled. I had the same problem on my 308 remy. The bolt has to be broken down to check.

The only time I've seen the firing pin be an issue is when it's broken and binds up in there but it definitely won't fire 20+ rounds in that condition.

it will be somewhat harder after you pull the trigger because lifting the bolt handle is what recocks the firing pin. this is the only thing i can think of causing this only on opening besides the aforementioned over pressure round

I'd definitely unscrew the bolt an take a look at the pin and spring, moisture can an will get into your bolt and corrode if not kept greased, I use shooters choice grease.i did have to replace the spring .noting that I keep this rifle spotless it never occurred to me to check the bolt , gun just got progressively tighter to cycle finally took it to the smith who took all of 30 seconds to take the bolt apart .broken pin or spring is what going to happen if you keep trying to jam your bolt close.

I'd definitely unscrew the bolt an take a look at the pin and spring, moisture can an will get into your bolt and corrode if not kept greased, I use shooters choice grease.i did have to replace the spring .noting that I keep this rifle spotless it never occurred to me to check the bolt , gun just got progressively tighter to cycle finally took it to the smith who took all of 30 seconds to take the bolt apart .broken pin or spring is what going to happen if you keep trying to jam your bolt close.

Are you really thinking there is enough corrosion and fouling and moisture in his new rifle fired 30 times that this is his cause of concern? If he bought a used 1970s era 700 maybe he should check it out but having a guy new to a bolt gun start stripping apart a new bolt is not a good idea generally. More people break/loose parts and pieces of firearms trying to take them apart to inspect/clean. Not saying the op is incapable of stripping a bolt but as a newb to a new kind of firearm it's best to not just start tearing it apart without any knowledge of how it works

Mines always done this too. It's only a few years old. It's a SPS varmint though. Gun has maybe 100rds through it.

I have the same problem with my new XCR II in 300wm. It was even shaving a little brass off the rim of the case. I just got it back from Remington and haven't shot it yet. I called them and they told me that they polished the chamber and the bore. Hopefully I can get it out soon.

I have the same problem with my new XCR II in 300wm. It was even shaving a little brass off the rim of the case. I just got it back from Remington and haven't shot it yet. I called them and they told me that they polished the chamber and the bore. Hopefully I can get it out soon.

I had the same problem with a "new" 700 in 300 WM earlier this year. My friends father passed away in November, he had quite a few new guns that were purchased through the years and stored away, never fired. I think he had planned on doing some traveling/hunting but never got around to it. The 300 WM had a super rough chamber, I think the first round fired ejected without any problems but after that the bolt had to be tapped with a rubber mallet. Some of the cases were so stuck that the extractor would pull off of the rim of the case and the brass had to be tapped out with a cleaning rod. You could see heavy scrapes/scratches at the rear of the brass before the rim where it was hanging up in the chamber. I had given the gun a once over before firing and there was no sign of any rust/crud in the chamber or barrel. After round number 10 I smartened up and started wiping all the brass down with WD40 before they were fired. I think I ran another 10 or 15 "wet" rounds and the chamber smoothed out enough where cases were not getting stuck anymore. By round 50 the action had really smoothed out, and the scrapes/scratches that were showing up on the brass before had just about disappeared. When the time comes to get your XCR to the range try and put a few boxes of ammo through it (if your shoulder will let you, lol!) if the gun is still acting sticky. You'd figure that Remington would get the hint and stop using a dull butter knife to work the chambers on their guns before they left the factory.

Thanks for all the input. It only does it after a round is fired, unfired rounds- bolt is smooth. I'm bringing some brass to a buddy of mine who reloads to measure and inspect. I did replace the trigger, but the action screws let the bolt open and close without issue. I guess I'll wait for him to measure and in the mean time keep shooting it.

Still waiting on my buddy to measure the casings. Haven't made it back out to the range yet