• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tight Cases in MEC Shell Holder

Rexman

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2020
Colorado
I am just getting started into reloading and just deprimed with a Mighty Armory 100 Hornady 6mm CM cases. This was factory Hornady 108g ELD-M shot once. I am using a MEC single stage press with a floating head. I measured the body just above the extractor groove on one case that fits easily and one that was tight and they seem to be the same. However, the extractor groove between the two did have a difference of .007 inches so it appears the extractor groove is larger on some case creating the issue.

Wondering if any experts can let me know if this is an issue or not? Could it be over pressure issues with factory ammo and should I not use the cases that are tight? I am able to get the tight cases into the floating head with some wiggle and force but want to make sure this will not create any issues when I resize the brass. TIA

Common issue - example here. I'm not familiar with your press and shellholder, but, with my Dillon RL-550 and the "M" shell plate specified for 6.5CM (same case head as 6CM), I will encounter occasional pieces of more robust brass brands* which won't fit. Solution with Dillon is to use a "1" shell plate for .308 Win.

So, if your press specifies different shellholders for 6.5CM and .308 Winchester, try the .308 holder.
-----
* Peterson, occasionally Starline, almost never Hornady which samples out lightest of the three for the lots I have

Last edited:
Common issue - example here. I'm not familiar with your press and shellholder, but, with my Dillon RL-550 and the "M" shell plate specified for 6.5CM (same case head as 6CM), I will encounter occasional pieces of more robust brass brands* which won't fit. Solution with Dillon is to use a "1" shell plate for .308 Win.

So, if your press specifies different shellholders for 6.5CM and .308 Winchester, try the .308 holder.
-----
* Peterson, occasionally Starline, almost never Hornady which samples out lightest of the three for the lots I have
Thanks for the response! After looking more closely I just noticed this and had the wrong shell holder. Works much better now