• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tight Press

Tacticalrum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2011
Veneta, OR
OK, I'm out at the reloading bench today. Sizing brass for my 300 RUM. Can any of you tell me why some pieces seem very tough to resize. I beleive that if I wasn't carful they would seize up in the press. Its always been a little harder then some calibers but damn. When shooting I don't see signs of over pressure, once and a while in the summer I might get a sticky bolt now and then. But it seems that the load that I am shooting doesn't make any difference when it comes to sizing the brass. Give me your wisdom!

Re: Tight Press

Mark,

Could be insufficient lube on some cases. Do you lube the inside of your case necks w/a dry lube?

Bob

Once fired brass?
What lube do you use?
Are you full length resizing or neck?
How clean is the brass when you are resizing?
What dies are you using and how old are they?
Are you above listed maxes from the books?

Rthur

I use hornady one shot lube. The brass has been fired twice. I use rcbs dies that probably have 400 or so rounds through it. I am full sizing and I haven't been over the max load. Agian this is the only caliber that I have this problem with and I do load several others.

I think you are just noticing the larger brass and need some more lube. Make sure you get the inside of the necks. That makes a huge difference.

Have you ever cleaned your dies?

Try some Unique or Imperial, and see if things change.

Your problem is the Hornady One Shot. ONLY times I have every stuck a case...has been with One Shot.

Imperial or tub of Hornady lube works a LOT better.

With the lube in the aerosol cans, you have to wait for the alcohol or whatever is in it to evaporate,and it usually takes longer than printed on can for this to happen. if not you will get stuck cases. I did not notice a big problem on 223 brass with it, but larger brass would want to stick. So I just went with RCBS lube and a pad.

IMHO, One Shot is a fine lube....for handgun cases sized in carbide dies.

Use Unique, Imperial or Lee for rifle stuff.

Imperial sizing wax is the bomb.

Also is it tight on the upstroke or the down stroke?

If its tight on the down, its your necks. The expander ball might be getting more friction in which case a little lube inside the neck helps.

Also, better expander balls exist and make this much easier.

If its hard on the upstroke, could be not enough lube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Imperial sizing wax is the bomb.

</div></div>

Someone has been putting their Carbon fouled fingers in my tin of sizing wax
mad.gif

Your choice of lube is one issue, Imperial will fix that, the other consideration is the Press, I use a Forster Co-Ax at home and a RCBS Partner Press at the range, the Co-Ax has an assload more mechanical advantage v anyother press.