• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tightening Muzzle Brake

HornyToad

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2019
I'm installing a muzzle brake on my AR15 and I was wondering how many degrees is too much to turn it using Precision Armament Accu-Washers? I would need to turn it 15 degrees or so to get it indexed. Is that too much? Thanks!

Without a crush washer?

No, that was using a crush washer. Not that it matters.

By the question you're asking it seems you haven't read the instructions for your accu-washers. I suggest you go do that. Your question is answered there.

I copied and pasted this from the manufacturer's website in case you no longer have the instructions, hope this helps...i highlighted and italicized the specifics regarding torque:
1. Locate the thickest (#18) shim marked ( ||| ||| ).
2. Make sure all contact surfaces on shim, thread shoulder, and muzzle device are clean and free of debris. Seat #18 shim over muzzle threads and install muzzle device hand tight.
3. Sight down barrel and visually estimate the amount of additional rotation required for proper muzzle device alignment. Refer to chart on right to select the correct size shim.
4. Remove the #18 shim and install shim selected in Step 3. Torque muzzle device to correct alignment. Note: device will rotate additional 10-30 degrees* from hand tight position depending on final tightening torque.
5. If excessive torque is required for alignment, use one number smaller. If torque is too low, use one number larger.
*Applying grease to both mating surfaces of shim prior to final installation reduces friction resulting in increased rotation for a given torque load.

The table they refer to and the instructions can be found here (i didn't know how to copy the table...sorry): https://precisionarmament.com/product/accu-washer-system/

When i used a somewhat similar system i merely threaded on the muzzle brake finger tight to the end.....then backed it off till it was correctly oriented...measured the space created with feeler gauges....used my calipers to figure out which thickness shim i needed and picked the one closest in thickness but just a hair difference to accommodate tightening...worked nicely.

Last edited:
I copied and pasted this from the manufacturer's website in case you no longer have the instructions, hope this helps...i highlighted and italicized the specifics regarding torque:
1. Locate the thickest (#18) shim marked ( ||| ||| ).
2. Make sure all contact surfaces on shim, thread shoulder, and muzzle device are clean and free of debris. Seat #18 shim over muzzle threads and install muzzle device hand tight.
3. Sight down barrel and visually estimate the amount of additional rotation required for proper muzzle device alignment. Refer to chart on right to select the correct size shim.
4. Remove the #18 shim and install shim selected in Step 3. Torque muzzle device to correct alignment. Note: device will rotate additional 10-30 degrees* from hand tight position depending on final tightening torque.
5. If excessive torque is required for alignment, use one number smaller. If torque is too low, use one number larger.
*Applying grease to both mating surfaces of shim prior to final installation reduces friction resulting in increased rotation for a given torque load.

The table they refer to and the instructions can be found here (i didn't know how to copy the table...sorry): https://precisionarmament.com/product/accu-washer-system/

When i used a somewhat similar system i merely threaded on the muzzle brake finger tight to the end.....then backed it off till it was correctly oriented...measured the space created with feeler gauges....used my calipers to figure out which thickness shim i needed and picked the one closest in thickness but just a hair difference to accommodate tightening...worked nicely.

I read and understood all of that. I just wanted some reassurance I wasn't over tightening it. I've read were hand tight plus 1/8 of inch with Rocksett is all you need and any tighter than that will begin to effect accuracy. Thanks!

Which Precision Armament muzzle device are you using? I tried the Hypertap and it worked very well but made shooting less enjoyable. Love the AFAB and EFAB.

Which Precision Armament muzzle device are you using? I tried the Hypertap and it worked very well but made shooting less enjoyable. Love the AFAB and EFAB.

My original message should have said AR10. I'm installing the M11 on a .338 Federal. I am also using the Accu-Washers to install a SilencerCo ASR Muzzle Brake on an AR15.

No, that was using a crush washer. Not that it matters.

By the question you're asking it seems you haven't read the instructions for your accu-washers. I suggest you go do that. Your question is answered there.

I read and understood all of that. I just wanted some reassurance I wasn't over tightening it. I've read were hand tight plus 1/8 of inch with Rocksett is all you need and any tighter than that will begin to effect accuracy. Thanks!

I've read were hand tight plus 1/8 of inch with Rocksett is all you need and any tighter than that will begin to effect accuracy.

Do you believe it? I don't, unless someone can show me a true cause/effect relationship along with a solid engineering explanation of how it happens.

Just showing me a before and an after group is nowhere near enough.