• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tightening rear screw on Savage 10FCP HSPrecision

josey88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
Guys, I have a problem ... Brand spanking new, unfired Savage 10FCP-5R heavy barrel 24" fluted, HS-Precision stock . I noticed that the action screws were loose so I tightened them to 35 lbs each . Then , I went to try the safety and it was blocked ... I then took the action off and everything looked perfect and worked correctly , so I put the action back and the problem is the rear action screw ... if I tight it up it a little , the safety won`t work . The front action screw is ok at 35 lbs . What can I do ? the rear action screw once it gets tight a little , has to be loosened one complete turn in order for the safety to work . Should I leave it like that or what can I do to tight it up ? I really need some help on this ... Thanks

Re: Tightening rear screw on Savage 10FCP HSPrecision

Well I hope that is inch lbs. and not foot lbs.

Sounds like when you tighten that screw its protruding enough into the safety's personal space to interfere.

If it were me I'd take the screw out and sandwich ir between two small pieces of wood and place it into a vise and file off 2 threads, essentially shortening the screw by two threads...make sure to dress up the work and not damage the threads...you might consider placing a small bolt on the screw and then run it up and over the threads to chase the threads clean...having a die that size would be best but you probably don't have one...

Place the screw back in and try it again...my bet it it'll work...if not repeat the process and remove two more threads...

Once you have it "right" and everything works the way its supposed to consider using some blue loctite on those threads.

Instead of filing the screw, file the stock in the area of the tang. Most Savages perform better with the tang free-floated anyway and it sounds like that stock has some interference. Same thing happened when I put my action in a Choate. And personally would not recommend loc-tight on the action bolts because of removing the rifle for cleaning becomes a chore, YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I hope that is inch lbs. and not foot lbs.
</div></div>
It is inch/lbs , of course.

I wonder... if I tighten the rear action screw a little more , the trigger`s safety tong will not move , consecuently the trigger will not work and neither the safety on top . So I am somewhat concern that it won`t be that the tang is touching the stock on top , but that screw is pushing or comprising the mechanism on the trigger ...

It is definitely not the Tang . It is something at front , where the trigger`s tong safety mechanism is ... something is bending or pushing the safety mechanism on the trigger that completely inmobilizes the trigger`s tong safety when the rear action screw is tighten ... I still have not been able to find out what it is

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptBeach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like when you tighten that screw its protruding enough into the safety's personal space to interfere.

If it were me I'd take the screw out and sandwich ir between two small pieces of wood and place it into a vise and file off 2 threads, essentially shortening the screw by two threads...make sure to dress up the work and not damage the threads...you might consider placing a small bolt on the screw and then run it up and over the threads to chase the threads clean...having a die that size would be best but you probably don't have one...

Place the screw back in and try it again...my bet it it'll work...if not repeat the process and remove two more threads...

Once you have it "right" and everything works the way its supposed to consider using some blue loctite on those threads. </div></div>

This is exactly what the problem is. I have experienced this on every one of my rifles. I always change out the action screws to replace the factory ones. As long as the screw is protruding too far into the stock, either the safety won't work, or the trigger will not reset. Remove only a slight bit of material at a time until it functions correctly.

NEVER SHOOT A FIREARM WITH LOOSE ACTION SCREWS!!!!!

DK

Found the problem ... Someone at the factory , (when the rear threaded hole that holds the trigger`s guard screw to the aluminum skeleton was made ) inserted a very small plastic plug at the other side of the hole to plug it so it would not be seen (big f%#@ deal). That plastic plug(or was just small debris from the drilling and tapping that was not cleaned up ?) was not eliminated and was protruding almost 1/8" out exactly under the tang at the bottom on the aluminum skeleton , right under the trigger mechanism that calibrates the trigger . That mechanism has a very sensitive spring and when pressure was applied to the action by tightening the action screws, it tightened against the skeleton and that 1/8" protrusion compressed the spring of the mechanism enough so that it released the tong safety , freezing solid the trigger and of course , the upper safety stopped working all together .
All I had to do was take off that 1/8" remaining plastic plug debris and , voila, everything was working perfectly. I am so glad that it did not ocurr to me to start tampering with the calibration of the trigger that BTW , it is very light ,( I think it is 2 lbs )and it is fine for me .
Everything works perfect, now . What a stupid , moronic problem this one was ...!!!!
Because the rifle had the action screws very loose from factory , there was no way to find out the problem until the screws where tighten up .
Anyway, I am happy that it was such a minimal thing , so all is well .
I also posted this on the Savage forum so in case that someone else have the same problem with its Savage , would have where to look . Thanks to everybody for the help ... it helped me to know where to look and analize how to correct the problem .
Both action screws are now tightened at 35 inc/lbs .

I "Loctite" my action screws with BLUE LOCTITE once I KNOW everything is fitted and correct...this eliminates the possibility of anything shifting or moving and consequently moving "zero"...when I clean my rifle I do not need to break the action from the stock and or its bedding and therefor do not disturb it...I clean my rifles USMC clean...

Capt Beach