• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tightening up groups

ScottPriestley

Civilian Contractor
Minuteman
  • I'm really not happy with this at 100y. My thinking is that trigger control is the likely culprit. Running a Trigger Tech set at 1#... Greyboe stock, Atlas bipod. Everything torqued to spec. Any thoughts?
    20200605_162738.jpg

What gun? What barrel? What bullet? What carriage? What powder? What charge weight? What velocity? How far off the lands? How many rounds down the pipe? How often is it cleaned? What optic?
    You’ve left out more info than you’ve given.

Reactions: 1moaoff
    I figured there might be some questions like that which is why I purposefully left them out - I'm thinking it's more of a fundamentals issue

Remington .308
    20" Barrel
    500 round count
    Federal 175gr SMK factory load
    Athlon Midas Tac

Try different ammo.
    Possibly get some training.
    The online lesson here were a game changer for me.

Try different ammo.
    Possibly get some training.
    The online lesson here were a game changer for me.

What he said.

It could be so many things. But, if you're interested in fundamentals... the online training section here is well worth the nominal fee.

In case you were interested, I ran it through OnTarget TDS without the two "fliers" and with them.

Without "fliers."

1591416723517.png

All shots included:

1591416573584.png

Do you consistently shoot other rifles better as in 1/2" groups or better? If not then it's likely the shooter. If in doubt have a good shotter try the rifle.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think ultimately there are several factors at play. Yes, shooter skill is likely primary. Im thinking recoil management and possibly parallax on my side. As far as hardware, the Federal 175 SMK are usually pretty good but there's a chance this rifle doesn't like them. Of course, it's a factory Remington barrel too so there's that. Regardless, I'm not a bench rest shooter and today's trip to the long range had me ringing the 2 MOA gongs about 70-80% out to 700/800 so not too bad. Yeah, I'll look into the online training option and try some other ammo too.

a lot of people are likely to shit themselves over this suggestion. However, when was the last time you gave the barrel a good cleaning? At least knock the carbon out of it.

Are you shooting prone/bench? When you fire a shot, do you notice the reticle jumping in a certain direction or is your recoil straight back? I shoot 1/2-3/4" groups with my 22LR @ 100y, but when I shoot my 308 my recoil management is horrible and I end up getting "flyers". When I notice a horizontal reticle shift when I pull the trigger, I notice horizontal variation in my groups. If I get my NPOA fully dialed in and manage my recoil so the recoil jump is only slightly vertical, my groups shrink way down.

And then lastly I let my friend shoot my rifle who shoots much better than me, and through my rifle which isn't setup for him, he shot a good deal smaller groups as well...

On a 308, 100y, FGMM 175gr, I highly doubit it's going to rifle/ammo and it's always the shooter.

Reactions: ScottPriestley