• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tightening up my .243

Cira

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
I have a .243 that I use for Whitetail hunting. It's a browning X-Bolt and I really like the way the rifle shoots. However, they only offer it in 1:10 twist. I've had a ton of trouble getting antyhing heavier than 85gr to stabilize and give me good accuracy in. I guess they had this rifle targeted at varmint shooters, not deer hunters. 85 is surely enough to kill a deer but I think I'd like to have the option to also shoot something heavier.

What would be my options for a new barrel? Does anyone know a good smith that could retrofit a tighter twist barrel. What would I go with to shot the 100+grain stuff? 1:7.5?

Above all, is it worth it? Would putting that much money into an $800 hunting rifle be a good way to spend money? Would I be better off just getting a new rifle and trading in?

Re: Tightening up my .243

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cira</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a .243 that I use for Whitetail hunting. It's a browning X-Bolt and I really like the way the rifle shoots. However, they only offer it in 1:10 twist. I've had a ton of trouble getting antyhing heavier than 85gr to stabilize and give me good accuracy in. I guess they had this rifle targeted at varmint shooters, not deer hunters. 85 is surely enough to kill a deer but I think I'd like to have the option to also shoot something heavier.

What would be my options for a new barrel? Does anyone know a good smith that could retrofit a tighter twist barrel. What would I go with to shot the 100+grain stuff? 1:7.5?

Above all, is it worth it? Would putting that much money into an $800 hunting rifle be a good way to spend money? Would I be better off just getting a new rifle and trading in? </div></div>

For all the reasons stated...it'd be better to sell it and get another rifle.

i would have to agree, the .243 is an awesome little round but your twist on top of it being a smaller gun would probably make more since to move up to maybe a .308 i have a rem .243 that i have shot all my life, its killed lots of hogs and lots of deer but you really have to pick your spot with deer and take yout time because a .243 isnt that big and really needs to be put right in the right spot and you dont always get that chance especially hunting in the rut when a buck isnt going slower than mach3 for 2 weeks, just my opinion

to answer your question: a 1-9 twist should stabilize the 105 gr bullets, a 1-8 or 1-7.5 twist should handle the 115 dtacs.

Mine is a stock Remy barrel with a 1:9 1/8 twist and it stabilizes the 105 pills just fine. To stabilize the 115 grains, the 1:7.5 twist will be for sure. Keep in mind however, that most stock barrels are not going to be fast twist barrel. So the question that you have to ask is "do you feel luck punk?" JK, is it better to get a barrel and pick a faster twist barrel... Just saying

Your 1:10 twist should easily handle up to 100s. Sounds like you are limited to factory offerings for your ammo ( i.e.- do you reload?)? What have you tried in your rifle? May want to keep looking. Has anyone else tried to shoot it for comparison? Could your optics be culprit? Is the action solid in the stock? Lots of things to look at before you go and dump more $$ or dump the rifle. Good rifle, great round. Don't give up yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your 1:10 twist should easily handle up to 100s. Sounds like you are limited to factory offerings for your ammo ( i.e.- do you reload?)? What have you tried in your rifle? May want to keep looking. Has anyone else tried to shoot it for comparison? Could your optics be culprit? Is the action solid in the stock? Lots of things to look at before you go and dump more $$ or dump the rifle. Good rifle, great round. Don't give up yet. </div></div>

I've tried everything. I do handload. I have an 85gr SGK with H4350 that shoots amazing. I've tried all different combos of Horandy 100gr, Nosler 95s and I think Berger 105s with 4350 and RL17. Anything bigger than 85gr and I can't keep it within 4-6" at 100 yards. I've run Miller stability calcs on all of it and it's definitly the twist.

Its a shame, I love the cartridge and I love the rifle. I should have done a little more research on what that twist was capable of before buying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to answer your question: a 1-9 twist should stabilize the 105 gr bullets, a 1-8 or 1-7.5 twist should handle the 115 dtacs. </div></div>
Hmmm
1:8 for the 105s
1:7.5 or better for the 115s

Cira, same issue with my Mod. 70, 1:10 twist. Barnes 90's would not group, but 60 grainers were sub moa with no tweaking. Accuracy loads from different sites, and loads from the Hide with the 90's all failed to get a consistent group. Not sure what the significance of the 1.065" length might have on how poorly the bullet shoots or if it's just the weight. Engine 22 is not the only member to suggest that the 1:10 twist will work up to 100 gr. pills, but I have had no luck with several different powders and loads.

Just got some Sierra 85's (.920) to try with RL-15 and 3031.

I came to this blog after looking for some barrel pricing. Figure 1:8 twist would solve my problem. Dan Lilja made a point of saying, a good barrel isn't much, if it isn't installed right, so that's part two of the story.

My most accurate load with my ruger 77 is 29.5 gr of 4064 with 100 grain soft point boatails from hornady. Load the round down and you might get .331 in at 100 yds.

My Ruger is 1-9 but it hates 85's. Only likes the 100's.

I'm open to any suggestions on how to get different ammo to shoot. I'm at the point of accepting that this stick doesn't like the heavier pills.

Digger: I have never started with a load lower than the recommended starting load. Where did you come up with that? Speer shows 29.0 (2304 fps, that's slow)as the starting load for a 90 grainer. My best groups, if you can call it that, was 1/2 gr. below max with 4064, 38.0 grains. I was about to go up in .3 grain increments from there until I either got a group or pressure signs. How far off the lands or what's your OAL?

Any thoughts on the pill length, as a factor? As in, VLD's are long and finicky to load?

As an update, I called Browning. The guy I talked to seemed to think this gun was targeted at varminters and there was no plans to offer a tighter barrel twist in the future.

I can't see the 85gr Gameking having any problem taking down a deer. Are you wanting to shoot a heavier bullet "just because"?

I dont see any reason the 85gr bullet wont do. I have killed a grip of deer with my 22-250 in 55gr or 65gr and they always take 3 steps then go down. I keep my shots between 5 and 300 yards and never failed. However my hunting area is open so no trees just scrub brush. Try a different powder or amount maybe, good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't see the 85gr Gameking having any problem taking down a deer. Are you wanting to shoot a heavier bullet "just because"? </div></div>

You're right, it should be fine. And we have some pretty small deer with tight woods up here in NH. Longest shot will be 150yards. So 85gr + accuracy should be deadly. I would just be nice to have some options. Especially for some longer range shots or some larger deer when we take a trip this year to TX, PA or NY.

H4831 is considered "the" powder for heavy, accurate 243 loads. H4831 gives me better accuracy with 105 AMax vs. H4350 but I am shooting 1-8" twist.

85 tsx didn't have any trouble felling numerous deer for one of my fellow hunters in TX last fall.