• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

tighter bolt closing on FL re sized loaded rounds?

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
The once fired, re sized, trimmed and deburred rounds are tighter to close the bolt on than, new brass with same bullet seating depth. I've seen some of you talk about bumping the shoulder back .001-.002". Is that maybe what I need to do? and if so, how do I go about doing it? I test fired a couple rounds to test for function and didn't see any pressure problem signs etc. Thanks!
smile.gif
This is on a Savage 10fp .223 rem. Also, using Forster Coax press with Forster dies.

Re: tighter bolt closing on FL re sized loaded rounds?

Get a Hornady / Stoney Point ogive measuring device and put on a pair of cheap calipers. Read the instructions that come with it. Unless your die is adjusted for YOUR chamber, these things happen.

GET A HEADSPACE GAGE, and throw away the instructions that came with your FL die, I suggest you decapp first, measure a fired case FROM YOUR GUN with a headspace measuring tool, I use a Hornady, note the reading, now FL resize a case, your looking for reading that's .001-.002 less, also shit the One Shot lube, use Imperial, a little goes a long way, only lube the body and neck, no lube on the shoulder, this will produce repeatable results, and rounds that will always chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: myerfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a RCBS precision mic in .223. Take a measurement of your fired round and then adjust your die so bump the shoulder back.

www.midwayusa.com/Search/#RCBS%20precision%20mic____-_1-2-4_8-16-32ur

myerire </div></div> So if I understand correctly, with this set of gauges, I can re-adjust my Forster FL sizing die I'm using now to solve the tight bolt closing problem is this correct? or, will it just tell me what the length needs to be (only)? If it's what I need, I'll order one today. Thanks very much!
smile.gif

There are two parts to this equation - the die bumps the shoulder back, but then the expander ball tries to pull the neck back out. Make sure your die is bumping the shoulder back the right amount, and that you're lubing the inside of the neck so the expander ball doesn't pull the shoulder back out....

This is one reason that bushing dies w/out expanding ball are a little easier to set up. When using dies with expander ball, I like using a spray lube so I can make sure the inside of the necks get lube.

Good luck,

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p5200</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: myerfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a RCBS precision mic in .223. Take a measurement of your fired round and then adjust your die so bump the shoulder back.

www.midwayusa.com/Search/#RCBS%20precision%20mic____-_1-2-4_8-16-32ur

myerire </div></div> So if I understand correctly, with this set of gauges, I can re-adjust my Forster FL sizing die I'm using now to solve the tight bolt closing problem is this correct? or, will it just tell me what the length needs to be (only)? If it's what I need, I'll order one today. Thanks very much!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Short answer,, yes.
Your FL sizer die is fine, the headspace gage just shows how much to adjust the the die to achieve the clearance you need to chamber the rounds without them being too tight
smile.gif

"... (case) headspace gage just shows how much to adjust the the die to achieve the clearance you need to chamber the rounds without them being too tight" .... and then allows you to actually measure how far back you have set the shoulders. Good tools.

I have several case gages and have NEVER been able to measure any expander ball stretching effect, lubed necks or dry. YMMV.

The Forster directions say to screw the die down through the lock ring until it makes contact with the shell holder. then, tighten the lock ring screw and this is with the press handle pulled all the way down. If the die is slightly screwed up away, from the shell holder will that cause the shoulder to be bumped back a little further? Or, is this not the way to change the setting on the FL die? Thanks!
smile.gif

Ok I know I said to throw the instructions away, but since your not listening throw them away!

Redneck way without gage(old school way before gages) for Rem 700
Remove the bolt from the weapon
Remove the Firing Pin Assy from bolt
Remove ejector from bolt
Reinstall bolt in weapon
Back off the FL die a little
Resize a case, try to chamber, bolt should not close at all, dont force it
Now remove case it and turn the die down 1/8 and resize,try again in weapon, keep repeating this process until you can close the bolt, about half way down you should feel a SLIGHT resistence
Lock the die in that place, and try another resized case, again you should a slight resistence half way down.

NOW remember to lube and remove lube each time you try this process, again shit can the One Shot and use Imperial Sizing wax

Fuzzball said:
"... (case) headspace gage just shows how much to adjust the the die to achieve the clearance you need to chamber the rounds without them being too tight" .... and then allows you to actually measure how far back you have set the shoulders. Good tools.

I have several case gages and have NEVER been able to measure any expander ball stretching effect, lubed necks or dry. YMMV.

Using the headspace gauge (I use Wilson) the bottom cuts show min and max length. Adjust your FL die in small increments checking with the gauge until you get a bump back that gives you easy bolt closure. Make sure you don't go beneath the lowest cut on the gauge. You should then be GTG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I know I said to throw the instructions away, but since your not listening throw them away!

Redneck way without gage(old school way before gages) for Rem 700
Remove the bolt from the weapon
Remove the Firing Pin Assy from bolt
Remove ejector from bolt
Reinstall bolt in weapon
Back off the FL die a little
Resize a case, try to chamber, bolt should not close at all, dont force it
Now remove case it and turn the die down 1/8 and resize,try again in weapon, keep repeating this process until you can close the bolt, about half way down you should feel a SLIGHT resistence
Lock the die in that place, and try another resized case, again you should a slight resistence half way down.

NOW remember to lube and remove lube each time you try this
process, again shit can the One Shot and use Imperial Sizing wax </div></div>
Redneck or not this is the way I do it as well. When I feel that bolt barely scrape the case, I know for sure my case is snug. Just don,t forget to remove the firing pin assembly from the bolt. It adds artificial resistance.