• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka 223 AI KRG Bravo Build

fullbore

Private
Minuteman
  • Jul 12, 2018
    Hello everyone

I just got myself a KRG Bravo stock for my Tikka T3x Stainless Varmint 223.
    Have got a MDT Polymer 223 magazine and it feeds nicely.

Now im just wondering if its worth rechambering this factory 1-8" Tikka barrel to 223 AI? Or would I be better served going to a 26" and 1-7"?
    I want to shoot the 75 ELD M's around 3000-3100 if possible and use it as a longer range varmint rifle to 500yds or so.

20200522_174345.jpg

The 8 twist is fine for 75 grain bullets. What's your barrel length? I'm sure 3000 FPS is doable in a 223 with 75s but barrel length will also need to be on the lengthy side.

ETA:

I went back to look at my dope and it seems I am pushing just below 3000 FPS on 75 and 73 grain bullets IN FACTORY AMMO from a 26 inch barrel 9 twist so if you plan to reload, I think you can achieve that.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    The 8 twist is fine for 75 grain bullets. What's your barrel length? I'm sure 3000 FPS is doable in a 223 with 75s but barrel length will also need to be on the lengthy side.

ETA:

I went back to look at my dope and it seems I am pushing just below 3000 FPS on 75 and 73 grain bullets IN FACTORY AMMO from a 26 inch barrel 9 twist so if you plan to reload, I think you can achieve that.

Think the factory barrel is just shy of 24"
    Around 23.5" or something.

So if I went to a AI I should be able to get over 3000 pretty easily then. Especially if I go with a 26" barrel

Reactions: stello1001
    Think the factory barrel is just shy of 24"
    Around 23.5" or something.

So if I went to a AI I should be able to get over 3000 pretty easily then. Especially if I go with a 26" barrel

You would, but you won't have to with what you already have.

My Tikka barrel was relatively slow compared to other barrels in the same chambering, and this seems to be pretty consistent across the board for Tikka barrels.

That said, I would tinker with standard 223 loads and see what kind of velocities you are getting before making the decision to re chamber.

As a couple of previous posters have said, you might be able to reach your target velocity without AI'ing it using Alliant Power Pro 2000 MR powder. I get 2960 with 69 Sierra TMK's in a 16" barrel with really good accuracy.

I have a similar setup, Tikka T3x 223 in a Bravo. I went with a PVA 223AI barrel, 24” shouldered prefit. It is faster than than the factory barrel, more accurate (especially as it heats up), and has a threaded muzzle. I recommend it, Maybe even on sale this weekend. 80gr SMK, Lapua brass, 24.8 8208XBR, CCI450, 2.455” OAL.

53551A6F-B948-4892-8715-B3D04E86370D.jpeg

Last edited:
    Sweet looking rifle!! 500 yards with your current setup should be a chip shot. I can routinely make 500 yard hits on IPSC steel targets using my 12.5" Noveske AR with a 1-4x20 scope. I typically shoot a hand loaded hornady 62 bthp or 77 smk. I would just keep it as is and shoot the hell out of it.

Thanks everyone for the replies

At the moment I'm running 80.5 Berger Fullbores at 2830fps but this Factory barrel has a short throat which isn't ideal for powder space.
    Can definitely relate to the Tikka barrels being slower than average, very accurate but not able to run the higher nodes.

Pretty interested to see how this turns out for you.
    Right now I’m getting a T3x made up in 223AI with a 26” 8 twist barrel throated specifically for the 75g eld-m’s loaded for the longer MDT mag length and am hoping I will have enough horsepower to hit a node at or north of 3,000.

Interesting question. I’m currently shooting a Tikka Varmint in 223 and have thought hard about getting Either a new barrel in 223AI now or just Re-chamber when barrel is cooked. This is probably my favourite rifle as well.

why do you want to punch the higher velocities? I would agree the Tikka barrel seems to be on the slower side but accuracy is excellent, is the extra speed worth messing with something that already works really well? Maybe look at getting a second barrel and switching as needed?

Hello everyone

I just got myself a KRG Bravo stock for my Tikka T3x Stainless Varmint 223.
    Have got a MDT Polymer 223 magazine and it feeds nicely.

Now im just wondering if its worth rechambering this factory 1-8" Tikka barrel to 223 AI? Or would I be better served going to a 26" and 1-7"?
    I want to shoot the 75 ELD M's around 3000-3100 if possible and use it as a longer range varmint rifle to 500yds or so.

View attachment 7333406

I get 3000 to 3030 fps with my Tikka Varmint, H4895, Nammo brass, CCI450s, and the 75gr ELDM. Mine might be throated longer than yours and I am at 2.49" COAL with this load. It shoots really good and I have taken it out to 1400 yards. I have a heavy palma Bartlein 7 twist for my next barrel. Tempted to cut the factory barrel down to 20", set it back and re-chamber to 223AI, just unsure on how it will feed. I run suppressed and an 18-20" would be handier for calling coyotes.
    20200301_183732.jpg

I get 3000 to 3030 fps with my Tikka Varmint, H4895, Nammo brass, CCI450s, and the 75gr ELDM. Mine might be throated longer than yours and I am at 2.49" COAL with this load. It shoots really good and I have taken it out to 1400 yards. I have a heavy palma Bartlein 7 twist for my next barrel. Tempted to cut the factory barrel down to 20", set it back and re-chamber to 223AI, just unsure on how it will feed. I run suppressed and an 18-20" would be handier for calling coyotes.View attachment 7336524
    I was really curious about the feeding issue also, 223AI seemed to feed with out a problem from the MDT polymer mag.

Reactions: 260284
    why do you want to punch the higher velocities?
    [/QUOTE]

I probably wont push it that hard for shooting steel, but enjoy red misting pests at long range and the more speed the more mist.

I have a Tikka T3X varmint 1-8 I cannot get it to shoot 75ELDMs with TAC or XBR8208. It shoots 73ELDMs very well but not the 75ELDMs. I cannot load the 75ELDMs more than 2.39 with the factory barrel.

As others have stated 26", 1:8 and something like AA2520, Varget or H4895 will get you there with 75gr. 24" might be pushing it.

I have a Tikka T3X varmint 1-8 I cannot get it to shoot 75ELDMs with TAC or XBR8208. It shoots 73ELDMs very well but not the 75ELDMs. I cannot load the 75ELDMs more than 2.39 with the factory barrel.

Is it your mag length or throat holding you back to 2.39?

This is very timely for me as well! T3x Varmint 8 twist. 223AI is calling my name. I have about 200 rounds down the pipe, only 55 gr varmint express and scenars but I haven’t been impressed with the accuracy. It’s probably just me... and I need to load some heavier bullets.

If
    This is very timely for me as well! T3x Varmint 8 twist. 223AI is calling my name. I have about 200 rounds down the pipe, only 55 gr varmint express and scenars but I haven’t been impressed with the accuracy. It’s probably just me... and I need to load some heavier bullets.

If you hand load I can’t see a reason to NOT go AI, if you don’t hand load (why not?) then you will have piles of formed brass ready for when you decide to start.

I’m tooled up, ready to start reloading. Only thing I haven’t bought is time.

Don’t want to highjack... but might as well throughout some recommended tikka shouldered prefits: PVA and...