• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka 223 T3X varmint bottom metal?

ICU22250

Perfectionist
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    WV
    Alright guys, so I just snagged one of these up and looking to get her outfitted with the right bottom metal so I can get more mag length to shoot the heavies... What's the go to bottom metal and mags to make this happen? For now I'm gonna keep the Tupperware stock but upgrade in the future to either an MPA or a Manners, what say ye?

I went with the Atlasworxs bottom metal and put it in a bell and carlson M40 stock. It took about 6 hours to inlet the stock with a dremel going through the aluminum was a very tedious project. The internal part of the magwell in the stock is not very pretty. Once the bottom metal is in place you can't really tell. We bedded it and it looks better. I didnt take measurements on how much of the bedding block we had to remove but it was a lot of work. Manners inlets the T7 for the CDI bottom metal for the aics mags which is what I ordered for my CTR T3x. Atlasworxs came out with a CTR footprint bottom metal that takes aics mags. Manners and Konohawk both make stocks inlet for the CTR bottom metal so that may also be worth looking into. You will enjoy your Tikka varmint 223. Mine has become my favorite rifle shooting 75 amax working on an 80 eldm load now.

Go to is the CDI bottom metal. Have one myself and it works very well. I believe they still do this, but if you send in your stock they will inlet and install for free with purchase of the BM.

That's good info guys, I wasn't too pleased with the trigger when I received the rifle. Both my CTR and a standard sporter 22-250 came with a better trigger as far as adjusting them down the way I want.. I know they are the same triggers, but this one was a little on the stiff side.. I also want to run the 77 or 80 trainers, that's the goal... What about preferred mags?

That's good info guys, I wasn't too pleased with the trigger when I received the rifle. Both my CTR and a standard sporter 22-250 came with a better trigger as far as adjusting them down the way I want.. I know they are the same triggers, but this one was a little on the stiff side.. I also want to run the 77 or 80 trainers, that's the goal... What about preferred mags?

Yo Dave! Trigger spring

$18 shipped from Canada

Yo Dave! Trigger spring

$18 shipped from Canada

I've heard a lot of good things about them, but before this Tikka I never needed one... What about the MDT mags, dont they give you a longer OAL than the accurate mags for running the high BC bullets?

So guys, what bullet powder combo are you guys finding that works pretty well in these Tikkas so far?

I've heard a lot of good things about them, but before this Tikka I never needed one... What about the MDT mags, dont they give you a longer OAL than the accurate mags for running the high BC bullets?

You ever try the MDT mags?

B4BC653A-28DB-44B5-A98E-5E7673FEA709.jpeg
    So guys, what bullet powder combo are you guys finding that works pretty well in these Tikkas so far?
    Mine loves the 55gr Vmax with varget for the PDogs. 75gr ELD and varget for the 1000 yard Steel targets.
    here is a target a few months ago where I was testing seating depths with the 55Vmax after noticing some throat errosion from 4000 rounds down the tube. All five shot groups.
    i was going to go the bottom metal route at First too but decided on saving that money and just buying a chassis.

I have Accurate and MDT magazine for a varmint that I just bought with the CDI bottom metal on it. I will let you know how they run. I like the looks of the MDT as they will let me run longer COAL and they are shorter than the Accurate mags. Might have a couple of Accurate mags for sale soon. I am going to try the 53 Vmax and the 75 ELDM with Lapua brass and Varget.

Probably should do a search on the reloading depot and turn up a bunch of common loads that shoot well in just about anything.

Mine loves the 55gr Vmax with varget for the PDogs. 75gr ELD and varget for the 1000 yard Steel targets.
    here is a target a few months ago where I was testing seating depths with the 55Vmax after noticing some throat errosion from 4000 rounds down the tube. All five shot groups.
    i was going to go the bottom metal route at First too but decided on saving that money and just buying a chassis.

Thats some great shooting!! How are the 75's performing group wise?

Probably should do a search on the reloading depot and turn up a bunch of common loads that shoot well in just about anything.

I just figured since this was the Tikka 223 thread, this would be a little bit quicker.

Running 25gr of CFE223 and 75gr ELDM (seated a .01 off the lands). Looks promising, but there's still some room to move up in charge weight; still a work in progress...

I just figured since this was the Tikka 223 thread, this would be a little bit quicker.
    Every rifle is different and asking what other Tikka 223s "like" isn't any better than picking a couple of loads that are known to shoot well in just about any rifle.

From there you tune away

Running 25gr of CFE223 and 75gr ELDM (seated a .01 off the lands). Looks promising, but there's still some room to move up in charge weight; still a work in progress...

That's a powder that I want to try for sure....

I realize this is a 3 year old thread but what bottom metal is available for a tikka 223 varmint in 2021?

I put mine in a MDT chassis. Works with AICS type mags.

I know Grayboe makes a Tikka bottom metal that drops into CTR stocks. You could probably inlet your stock to work with that bottom metal (takes AICS mags).

I've had atlasworxs, Grayboe and Mountain tactical AICS bottom metals. All require a stock to be inletted for them, or use a CTR stock. I much prefer the grayboe over them all, followed by the atlasworx. The mtn tac had issues, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I also have modified a number of factory magazines to increase COAL. Pretty easy to do, works with the factory bottom metal, and maintains that "feeds like butter" feel of a factory tikka.