• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka 280AI build insight

bjkearns

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2008
Auburn,AL
I am looking for some insight on a Tikka build.
I've never "built" a rifle and I've never shot past 300yards, so the newb level is high. :oops:

I currently have a stainless T3 that is currently in 30-06 that I am thinking of building off of.

Here are my thoughts, I'm wanting a jack of all trades rifle. Something that is just as comfortable hunting as it is comfortable at the range.
I'm aware that wanting a do-everything rifle will mean sacrifices to a certain degree.
For the hunting, will be general North American game but primarily pigs, deer & coyotes in Alabama.
For the range, I would love to get proficient out to 1,000yards as the goal.

My thoughts are a Prefit CarbonSix 280Ai 24" Sendero profile barrel & an AG Composites Privateer stock.
Is the 280AI is good round for my intended goals?
How are the CarbonSix barrels?

Any guidance and insight is welcome.
Thank you.

I’d say 280AI is in the big side for your needs but a 180 grain bullet at 2800+ is gonna make you smile at 1000 yards.

The only downside is recoil without a brake and barrel life.

If you're ok with this then go for it. There are plenty of hunting and match bullets available for the 7mm.

The only downside is recoil without a brake and barrel life.

If you're ok with this then go for it. There are plenty of hunting and match bullets available for the 7mm.

.280 AI barrel life is good...

.280 AI barrel life is good...

It's good for that amount of powder burned.

There are others that burn much less powder that will do the same job. They won't shoot as flat or ring the steel as hard though.

If it were me I’d take that 30-06, load up a ton of 155 scenars in Lapua brass and commence to killing things and shooting longer range.

I have a 280AI. If you’re handloading, great. If not, I’ve noticed a couple of new manufacturers this year selling factory 280AI, but it’s not cheap. This cartridge will do everything you ask of it and then some