• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka/Bergara/CZ?

101stinfantry

Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    AR
    Hey guys, if I'm used to shooting Annie's will/would I be happy with a Tikka or Bergara? I'm talking straight factory guns. I see a lot of you are happy with the Tikkas, Bergaras and CZ's, then a lot of you change stuff around too, and I get that. I don't really want to change anything, I just want to add an optic and shoot. Also, I'm looking at more of a sporter version this go 'round, something I can carry around with me.

My Bergara and CZ 457s shoot well as factory guns. Say .36" CTC with Center X ammo. My Vodoo does about .32" CTC. when shot at the Lapua test center. No experience with the Tikka. My optics are Trijicon 5-50x56 MOA.

Bergara is about to release a new Sporter version of the B14R called the BMR...might be a good choice.

I agree all 3 are pretty nice looking guns, I'm speaking more to the accuracy though. Are any of those 3 going to shoot as good as an anschutz right out of the box? Triggers? I haven't ever owned any of those product lines, except for a Tikka T3 lite.

My Tikka shoots incredibly well multiple sub moa at 80yds even some 10shot groups sub moa at that distance. Longest I shot on paper the rest is all hunting. Trigger is one of the best for a stock gun. Got mine to 1.5lb that breaks like glass. Not sure what your anschutz does.

My three Annie's have the 5098 , 6.3 oz factory trigger. One is a 1416AVBTX.
    A great, lite carbine that I plan on selling soon. The Bergara is on the heavy side but all I do Is bench work. Have you considered something like a Kimber 82 Classic. Mine shoots very well and is much liter than a B14R. Tim Yates has three Tikka's and speaks very highly of them. He is here on SH, I would speak with him.
    If you go CZ, I would replace the mag release with an Anarchy Outdoors extended release. And also the bolt knob. Likely an AREA 419 knob or even better a Vudoo knob. The original CZ ball is small in diameter and it makes for a short lever as well.
    My favorite CZ is the MTR but it is a little heavy to walk around with. The lower Annie is the American Varmint Beaver Tail that I mentioned. A very handy size but too much like the above Thumb hole. And my V22 is simply a PIG at just over 18 pounds.... lol

Btw.... you can use a Flaig ACE trigger shoe on any 457 trigger. # 22 or #21. Rhey can be found on Gun Broker or Evil bay.

Shawn.

Attachments

• DSC09741.JPG
      DSC09741.JPG
      378.7 KB · Views: 76
    • DSC09765.JPG
      DSC09765.JPG
      399.1 KB · Views: 75
    • DSC09941.JPG
      DSC09941.JPG
      463.8 KB · Views: 106
    Last edited:
    I agree all 3 are pretty nice looking guns, I'm speaking more to the accuracy though. Are any of those 3 going to shoot as good as an anschutz right out of the box? Triggers? I haven't ever owned any of those product lines, except for a Tikka T3 lite.

How well do your Anschutz shoot? My Bergara B14R averages 0.35-0.40" with Center-X. Most Tikka's will shoot just the same or maybe a touch larger. I sold my CZ immediately after my first range outing with my Bergara B14R....it wasn't even close to what the B14R can do.

The only change I've made to my Bergara was adding a Timney Calvin Elite Two-Stage. The OEM trigger isn't bad...but it isn't great. It can be modified to lighten the trigger, if you have a little skill. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1219859

I will check my Annie's, 457s and Bergara on Monday. For a short time I put a Trigger Tech Diamond in my Bergara. It was set at 4 oz. at the Vudoo shop. It went back into my V22. I may get a Bix&Andy for my Vudoo and keep the TTD in the B14R. Will see.
    Shawn

I have a had a couple of Anschutz over the years and have loved them. I dont remember the exact model, it was a short run based on the 64, but a sporter rifle, and I still have an Exemplar pistol that I take out now and again when I want to use something different. I also shoot a Tikka for PRS/NRL.

The accuracy is close, between the two, but I would give the Annie a slight edge. The best ammo out of each were about the same, .25-.30 in. at 50, .75 in. at 100. The Annie would shoot more types of ammo with a little bit better consistency than the Tikka. Triggers are hard to compare, both of my Annies had 5098 triggers and I had them set about 7oz. There is really no way to get the Tikka that light w/o a Bix'n Andy. All I have done so far is put a Yo Dave spring in the trigger and it is about 1.5 lbs. and for a field rifle, it works well.

I have two Anni
    How well do your Anschutz shoot? My Bergara B14R averages 0.35-0.40" with Center-X. Most Tikka's will shoot just the same or maybe a touch larger. I sold my CZ immediately after my first range outing with my Bergara B14R....it wasn't even close to what the B14R can do.

The only change I've made to my Bergara was adding a Timney Calvin Elite Two-Stage. The OEM trigger isn't bad...but it isn't great. It can be modified to lighten the trigger, if you have a little skill. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1219859
    I have two 1416 Annie's based on the 64 action and they are both repeaters. I also have a 54 Super Match with a double set trigger and a brand new 1903. They are both single shot guns. Do you only want the accuracy of the repeaters at this time? Shawn

Last edited:
    I just shot these three groups with my B14R. I used ammo from my V22 and did no testing for this particular rifle. The rifle is a stock gun except for the bolt knob. I thought the stock knob knurling was too sharp and it's length too short. The V22 knob is the most comfortable in my hand. The AREA 419 knob was the second choice. I dont care for the 30X optic that I have on the gun so I covered it's name. I dont like the clarity or it's 1/4 MOA clicks. I really should repeat this with my Trijicon 5-50X.

Attachments

• 20210329_114034.jpg
      20210329_114034.jpg
      512.5 KB · Views: 170
    • 20210329_114057.jpg
      20210329_114057.jpg
      433.8 KB · Views: 178
    • 20210329_114350.jpg
      20210329_114350.jpg
      356.1 KB · Views: 182
    Hey guys, if I'm used to shooting Annie's will/would I be happy with a Tikka or Bergara? I'm talking straight factory guns. I see a lot of you are happy with the Tikkas, Bergaras and CZ's, then a lot of you change stuff around too, and I get that. I don't really want to change anything, I just want to add an optic and shoot. Also, I'm looking at more of a sporter version this go 'round, something I can carry around with me.

I used to have a 1411 that I shot club smallbore prone matches with, and also have had a CZ 452 trainer (the Lux with a beech stock) for like 20 years.

A few months ago I bought a Bergara B-14R and have been impressed with it, but it isn't a walking around rifle in my opinion.

I'll vote for a 457 American. TBH, a micro red dot on a dovetail mount is plenty of optic for 99% of what a sporter will do. That's what I have on my 452.

1617042459074.png

Last edited:
    For a sporter rifle, without a doubt I'd go the Tikka.
    Biggest things for me would be the 10 round mags not having sharp sticky -out edges like the CZ, and are considerably smaller than the Bergara magazine.

You'd likely need to get a different butt pad to increase the stock LOP but in factory form I rate the T1x much higher than my CZ 452 American.

Also spend $10 and get the bolt handle rubber know thingy, easily the best $10 you will spend.

I have a Tikka and a Bergara, both will shoot sub moa out to 200yds in good conditions, with Wolf, SK and Eley Club. I changed the trigger spring in the Tikka, and changed the Bergara trigger to a Trigger Tech Diamond.
    Mark

btw..... If you go with any CZ, I would suggest the 457 series because of the updated, fully adjustable trigger module. I lapped my trigger sears to a mirror finish with 9 an then 3 micron lapping film and replaced the spring with a .014" wire diameter. My 3 triggers break at just over 6 ounces and are extremely short, meaning zero creep. The trigger is super simple to tune up.

Here is the link to what I was looking at https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/store/p9/1416_AV_Threaded_18"_CL.html might give you guys a better idea of what I'm looking for. That Steyr up there is a fine looking rifle! The Bergara BMR is very interesting, and of course I'm kinda sorta familiar with the Tikka. I don't mind spending a bit, but if I can get the same performance for less money, that's all good too.

The 1416AVBTX
    Here is the link to what I was looking at https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/store/p9/1416_AV_Threaded_18"_CL.html might give you guys a better idea of what I'm looking for. That Steyr up there is a fine looking rifle! The Bergara BMR is very interesting, and of course I'm kinda sorta familiar with the Tikka. I don't mind spending a bit, but if I can get the same performance for less money, that's all good too.
    The 1416 that I have is near new and almost identical. The only difference is a slightly wider forearm. Called a beaver tail....
    I will test mine tommorow. It is super lite and nimble. The trigger is factory set at 6.3 oz.
    I dont carry my guns but it would be great for that purpose.
    Shawn

Reactions: 101stinfantry
    Yep, I have one of those, I think the barrel profile might be slightly heavier, and I believe 20"

I have a lot of rifles and shot thousands of rounds through all my Anschutz 54"s, 457, T1x's and B-14R's. If all my guns disappeared one day the first one I would buy back would be the Tikka T1x. If a more in depth answer is required I can provide the reason for my choice.

To answer your question, accuracy wise, stock for stock, my accuracy evaluation is B-14R and T1x are pretty much equal. The 457 is last of the three. None are as consistent as my Anschutz 1710, 1712 or 1813.

I have a lot of rifles and shot thousands of rounds through all my Anschutz 54"s, 457, T1x's and B-14R's. If all my guns disappeared one day the first one I would buy back would be the Tikka T1x. If a more in depth answer is required I can provide the reason for my choice.

To answer your question, accuracy wise, stock for stock, my accuracy evaluation is B-14R and T1x are pretty much equal. The 457 is last of the three. None are as consistent as my Anschutz 1710, 1712 or 1813.
    I am in the process of getting a .22LR for plinking at the range.

I would love to hear your more in depth answer to why buy back the T1x, @Kisssofdeath.

Last edited:
    I have two Anni

I have two 1416 Annie's based on the 64 action and they are both repeaters. I also have a 54 Super Match with a double set trigger and a brand new 1903. They are both single shot guns. Do you only want the accuracy of the repeaters at this time? Shawn
    @AirGunShawn how would you compare the accuracy of your 54 Super Match against the Vudoo ?

Could you please contact me on my e-mail at ....
    [email protected]
    You really deserve all of the facts with this question.
    I may not have been clear that my Vudoo is a Gen one repeater and the 54 is a single shot from 1971. The 1416s and the 1903 are the new Annies. I'm happy to share the data from Lapua and my experience in any case.

Attachments

• 20201018_205830.jpg
      20201018_205830.jpg
      749.4 KB · Views: 169
    • 20200924_075745.jpg
      20200924_075745.jpg
      332.5 KB · Views: 74
    I am in the process of getting a .22LR for plinking at the range.

I would love to hear your more in depth answer to why buy back the T1x.
    I am with KOD. I would buy the T1x back due to it will shoot any ammo I put thru it. All the trigger needs is a $ 10 trigger spring change to have a 1lb. trigger. I have mine in a KRG Bravo now it is still less money than a Bergara. But I would buy the Bergara back also.
    Mark

T1X is threaded for suppressor and weighs six pounds with 16" barrel and 6.4# with 20" barrel. Overall length with 16" is 33.7". It's pretty light and pretty handy and plenty accurate. How accurate do you want it to be? If you are good with under .5" at 50 yds. its good to go. If you want it to shoot in the .2s it's not going to get there without investment. None the less there are exceptions. If you go to the 6X5 thread there is a guy, @Jack Hart, that posted targets in mid Feb. of 2020 that are killer for a stock T1X. I think he added a Timney trigger but still a factory stock and barrel.

I've monitored the 6X5 thread since it's inception and one thing that is evident is that there are always exceptions. In the earliest iterations you will see a lot more variety at the top. In all iterations you will see Annies represent themselves well. As you go through the various time frames you will see makers/builders start to dominate with highly improved products.

Depending on which 5098 trigger comes on the 1416 you could be sub six ounces. The T1X can't get there without a trigger replacement. On the other hand I don't consider six ounces to be a trigger for a walking around rifle.

Five ten round mags. for the T1X will cost about $150.00. The same from Anschutz will be about $410.00. I've read that Anschutz tens have reliability problems but IDK. My only Annie is a '67 Super Match.

Also consider that a T1X with an appropriate scope would allow you to shoot base class NRL.22 if you want to give it a try.

Shoot a 6X5 with your current 1416 and compare it to the performance of the T1Xs or just buy a T1X and try it out. If it doesn't fit your needs, just sell it. You would hard pressed to lose a hundred.

I did, or used to have a submission in the 6X5 thread, and that is an excellent idea to revisit that thread and see what's what. You are also correct that a 6 oz. trigger wouldn't be appropriate for a squirrel, chipmunk, bunny slayer, but I do want a decent trigger on it. Thanks for all the help, ideas, and opinions!

The Tikka T1X is my favorite rimfire rifle to shoot. I just like the way it runs. Bolt throw, overall weight, balance. Mine is in a KRG Bravo.
    Minor ejection problems at first that were cured by reading some threads on the hide. After that? Trouble free.
    I have Bergara B14R that is more accurate but running the bolt is not as pleasant.
    I have a CZ 455 that runs roughly the same, accuracy, running the bolt, yet somehow I prefer the Tikka.
    My 2 cents.

I did, or used to have a submission in the 6X5 thread, and that is an excellent idea to revisit that thread and see what's what. You are also correct that a 6 oz. trigger wouldn't be appropriate for a squirrel, chipmunk, bunny slayer, but I do want a decent trigger on it. Thanks for all the help, ideas, and opinions!

I hope you decide to shoot a 6X5 with your current 1416. A YODAVE $10.00 spring will reportedly get a T1X to 12oz.s. I think where Anschutz is missing out is their mags. Inserting a mag. is just like a Win. Mdl. 52. It's a hunt and peck excercise. The T1X mag. design makes locating the mag. well and inserting the the ten round mag. a simple excercise.

Often we see people recommend a particular product to reinforce there own decisions. That is absolutely not the case for me. I have a couple of other .22s that are unqualifiedly more accurate than my T1X. I bought the T1X in early 2019 to see if Tikka could actually build a rifle that would significantly out perform it's price point. The rifle does not perform to the early claims of Tikka. I think I paid $437.00 for it. It most certainly out performs it's price point.

I think by best 6X5 with the T1X was .358". I didn't post it because it was not representative. It was just one of those good days. I think the target I posted in 2019 was about .38+/-CTC. That's still a good day but attainable.

There's one more caution about the numbers. I'm in my mid 70s. I've been a 100% disabled for about twenty years by both VA and SSA and it's all physical. I shoot off of the worst possible "bench". It weighs 16#. It never has more than three feet on the ground on my gravel driveway. The legs have so much flex you don't load the bi-pod you load the whole table.
    IMG_0009.JPG

There are tons of guys on this forum that have way greater skills than I have ever had. Imagine what this $437.00 shitter would do, from prone or a solid bench, if one of those guys was shooting it

Having followed your testing. I would certainly respect your opinion and go with it. I firmly believe you are a genuine person with a very well evaluated response.

I have been looking for a Tikka T1 22rf and they don't exist. But have found several CZ Royals and one with the Boyd's adj stock.

Are all the 457 going to be the same action with adjustable trigger and the same quality barrel? Will the CZ perform as well out of the box as the Tikka? They are about $100 more money.

Or , should I cool my heels and wait for a Tikka?

Bill

To the poster above, this guy knows his stuff and should give you an idea of what to do.

My CZ457 and T1x were the same as far as accuracy goes straight out of the box.

The Tikka is easier to replace the trigger spring. Much easier.

The CZ isn’t hard just more work than the Tikka

As far as fit and finish, the CZ is nicer.

If you keep looking around, you’ll find other people say exactly the opposite. In other words, they are neck and neck.

Get whatever you can find. If you do plan on “customizing” them, then the Tikka probably has more options since it’s mostly compatible with T3x stocks/chassis.

I have all 3 brands. For a woods gun, I am leaning towards Tikka, then CZ because of weight. As a woods gun, toss a coin. All 3 shoot, and shoot very well. Tikka trigger out of the box, Bergara stock, CZ history.

Screenshot_20210307-183022.png
    Screenshot_20210307-183155.png

This was some sk long range match at 50 with my b14R. Krg bravo, sig tango 4, 4-16. I threw the trigger weight set screw in the drawer. Supposed to be 2.5lb, but I'm thinking I need another b&a for it. It's crispy, no perceivable travel, just a wall and a snappy break. Touch heavy, but I grew up spoiled.

I regularly place 1-3 in our local matches, and the last guy to beat me had a rim-x with a s&b pmii.

It's a hell of a gun for the money.

I have two annies. One is the old model 54 Super Match. It is a very heavy match rifle and is one of the most accurate rifles I own. I won't bore you with pics or stories of one hole groups. I also own a Annie model 1451 which is a cold war era sporter repeater on the old flobert action. It is accurate but nothing special. Now, I have a CZ457 varmint precision trainer in the carbon fiber manners stock. It is attractive and accurate straight out of the box. I would say it is on par with the Tikka T1X. I don't own one of those but compete against them often. The T1X shoots great but I have not yet lost a match with the CZ to a Tikka. Just sayin. I also shoot against three Bergara B14R's at my local club and they are every bit as accurate as my CZ. Sometimes I win and somethings they win but it is always close. One shot or X count being the decider. The carbon bbl Bergara is light enough to carry but not as accurate as the steel bbl variant. The CZ is also light enough. I also have a CZ452 American. It is my field rifle. Not as accurate as the 457 but close and a little lighter and fitted with a hunting scope instead of a target optic. I don't think any of these rifles are going to put your annies to shame. It takes a VuDoo level of precision to joust with the best Anschutz and even those will not win all the time.

Attachments

• CZ457 VPT.jpg
      CZ457 VPT.jpg
      16.7 KB · Views: 62
    • CZ457 VPT 50y.jpg
      CZ457 VPT 50y.jpg
      655.6 KB · Views: 72
    • CZ457 VPT.jpg
      CZ457 VPT.jpg
      240.9 KB · Views: 84
    I put in an "Back in Stock" notification on EuroOptic for a Tikka. If I end up not liking it, I can still buy the Annie. I might have to get one of the Steyrs' too, but I'd like to look at one first hand.

I really like the Tikkas (I have a .22 and .17), but they aren't as accurate nor are the triggers as nice as my 1712 FWT...
    IMG_4627.JPG