• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tikka bolt

Tikka_taca1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
I have a Tac a1 and the bolt is pretty sloppy in the race ways, could a new bolt be made so their is less play ? Just curious

It was hard enough for me to find a replacement bolt body when I broke mine....

I didn't. Not from Sako, Beretta, Brownells, nowhere. I had to get it welded.

Ok I am talking about having a custom one made, I am a 5 axis machinist I could make it but idk if it would work or be safe to add a few thousands to the lug thickness or not

midwestgunworks.com has tikka bolts if you wanna new one

Reactions: Wyzrd
Ok I am talking about having a custom one made, I am a 5 axis machinist I could make it but idk if it would work or be safe to add a few thousands to the lug thickness or not

If it headspaced fine I wouldn't think you would want to add anything to the bolt lug dimensions.

Not lugs, overall bolt circumference to fill the channel for the bolt. If you enlarge all dimensions, then you may cause binding due to lack of room for dust, carbon, lube, etc.

Unless you're talking a bolt and action mated like what Hoplite Arms and @THEIS is pulling off...

Is the action not smooth? I get the wiggle factor. I have a tac a1 and it’s smooth as silk. Have the time I don’t even feel the next round being picked up. Curious to how many rounds you have through the bolt? Mine is around 1200 and definitely gets slicker over time.

Reactions: AKMarty
I don’t think it would be worth it, even if you did it yourself. How’s the gun shoot?

Is the action not smooth? I get the wiggle factor. I have a tac a1 and it’s smooth as silk. Have the time I don’t even feel the next round being picked up. Curious to how many rounds you have through the bolt? Mine is around 1200 and definitely gets slicker over time.

smooth just sloppy

If you got something you believe is out of spec, see if they will cover it under warranty. May have to send the whole rifle in. Have you tried another Tikka bolt or taken measurements to compare to others?

A little play isn't a bad thing.

If you make one yourself, do a run of about 100 and sell them all. I always see people looking for Tikka bolts or replacements.

The bolt hardness/toughness is the critical material design problem and can make your action a bomb if it is too soft.