• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka chassis for hunting

Travis224

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2010
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I hunt at night with thermal and am looking for a chassis that encloses the barrel and has mounting capabilities for the Silencerco Radius. So far i have it narrowed down to the XLR carbon and the MDT ESS. Am I forgetting anything or does anyone have any insight? I will be running a supressor on it and haven't yet decided if I will file for an SBR (so im not considering that aspect for the chassis). Another large part is I run a stock pack for my batteries to power the scope and am running a LuthAR stock so that some of the pack is nestled in the cut out of the stock on my AR.

Opinions on either stock? I also have a KRG x-ray on another Tikka but the mounting options are rather limited for the Radius..

I know it's not a direct comparison, but I have an XLR carbon and MDT HS3. Overall I feel the XLR Carbon is a better built chassis. The big downside to the XLR is that you must run AR height mounts, and you will likely need a one piece scope mount with some cantilever to clear the handguard mount. I do with the traditional XLR as well as the carbon. I don't have much time behind the ESS because my 28 Nosler is mounted in it and that's not a high volume shooting kind of gun but when I tore it all down to paint it just didn't seem as well made as the XLR. That plus carbon fiber forends always just feel smooth and warm like an old wood stock.