• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tikka CTR: 260 Rem or 308?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I'm debating b/w these two rifles.
    It will be used for paper punching & steel ringing out to 500. It will also be used for medium sized game as well. I do reload (although not extensively).

Which sounds better for my intended uses?

http://mobile.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-ctr-308-win-20-barrel-jrtc316.aspx

http://mobile.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-ctr-260-rem-20-barrel-jrtc321.aspx

Personally, I'd go 260, that way if you decide to shoot some matches or something down the road, you've got a competitive cartridge. But that's just me. You'll get more barrel life, and more off the shelf ammo availability with the 308 though.

I'm thinking we are going to sell more of the 308's just because of the availability of off the shelf ammo. I really wish they would have done a 6.5cm. They way I rationalize the two is that I think the 260 will sell more to the guys that reload where the 308 to the guys that shoot more off the shelf ammo. Not that 260 isn't available, just easier to walk into your LGS and pick up a box of Federal GMM or Hornady or Black Hills.

I'm debating b/w these two rifles.
    It will be used for paper punching & steel ringing out to 500. It will also be used for medium sized game as well. I do reload (although not extensively).

Which sounds better for my intended uses?

Tikka T3 CTR .308 Win. Rifle JRTC316 for sale!

Tikka T3 CTR .260 Rem. Rifle JRTC321 for sale!

Out to 500 yds you won't see much difference. The .260 will shoot a bit flatter and suffer less wind drift, but not a big difference. It's beyond 500 yds that the .260 really starts to shine. The .260 is more pleasant to shoot, but ammo availability is definitely a big advantage to the 308.

Personally, I'll take the .260 every time, but I reload exclusively.

The 260 will have less recoil, better long range ballistics, and will be adequate enough for any game in the US. As said before, you are not going to see the ammo in stores as much as 308. There is available 260 Rem reloading components now on the Internet (i.e. Lapua and Nosler brass, 6.5 bullets, and primers). The powders are another story with limited availability, but that goes across the board with any caliber. I just bought a 260 Remington (Savage LRP) and enjoy shooting it more than my Cooper Raptor 308. My buddy has a 260 and shoots out to 1,200 yard with no problem. I mostly shoot paper and steel targets. I think the 260 is more forgiving with wind and longer range shots than the 308. As Assault116 said above, the 260 (6.5mm) is a popular competitive cartridge. If I owned my 260 Rem before my 308, I would not have bought the 308. I reload all my 260 Rem rounds since I cannot find any in the stores.

At 500yd, there isn't a HUGE difference between the two.

A 20" 260 is good for 2700fps with 140s, 2900fps with 123s.

I've currently got a Savage with 20" McGowen 260 barrel but am SERIOUSLY considering the 260 CTR when they finally hit shelves.

I would go with the 260. You may have opportunities to shoot further then 500 yards in the future. As for ammo I am really hoping that the hunting community takes a liking to the 260 with Remington supposedly offering it in a few more of there rifle options, as well as other manufacturers. Hope that would bring more of a demand for factory ammo.

Easy, do you reload or not? Reload, buy the .260 and control your own destiny for match grade and hunting bullets. Don't reload, go with the .308.

It's pretty simple,... If you reload your own ammo already, 260REM,... no brainer,... If you have yet to start reloading,... 308WIN. When do these become available to the US?

Ry