• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka CTR 308 vs Rem 700 PSS / LTR

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
If comparing the tikka CTR 308 to a Old (20-15 year old)Remington 700 308 PSS or LTR with the internal mag, is one more accurate then the other out of the box ? Is the Tikka that much better? Or vice versa?

Last edited:
Tikka.

Support for Tikka has grown massively over the last few years so the old concerns a bout parts are not there anymore.

I wouldn't touch a new Remington 700 with a ten foot pole. Sometimes i wonder how Remington has managed to stay in business for so long with absolutely zero innovation on the game.

Well i mean now that you edited the OP and changed the question...

See if you can find a circa 1998 fluted, no lock, LTR 20" uncrowned. Those were are sure bet back in the day when it came to getting a 700.

Lots of custom actions using the basic Remington design. I’ve bought many Remington rifles over the years and every one has been sub moa. In April I bought a Remington 700 5r gen ii stainless and it shoots 1/3 moa groups with factory Hornady ammo. It has a fluted and threaded barrel in a hs precision stock all for $900 new. My defiance tenacity with Bartlein barrel and tt diamond trigger in krg bravo stock doesn’t shoot better so I don’t know how a Tikka could be better. To each his own though. You can’t go wrong with either one. Early Congrats on your new piece👍

Tikka Tikka Tikka, action is a smooth as many custom actions. Trigger doesn't need replacing, you can get below 1lb if you'd like with a spring change.
Built to high enough standards you can buy a shouldered prefit barrel for it.

Reactions: Bakwa
Bankrupt? Remington will be around long after we’re dead and gone. Things aren’t always as they might appear. Big businesses use the protections of bankruptcy for many reasons. Often times it’s used to restructure loans. It’s also used to renegotiate unfavorable agreements made by a previous administration. However they could shut it down and walk away from billions of dollars a year in revenue.

My 700 ltr shoots nice with right ammo. It likes pmc And hand loaded 168 amax. It’s one of the older 1\12 twist. Everybody has a different theory on rifles. I always try to gear 700 footprint stuff because that’s what I’ve used. I’ve heard the tikkas are nice but I’ve never shot one. Just my 2 cents

My Tikka CTR .308 shoots 1/2 moa with multiple factory rounds. I upgraded to a new Terminus Zeus, and I like the Zeus and the quick change barrel, but I'm not missing much when I go back and shoot the CTR. CTR magazines still feed the best in my opinion. The Tikka's bolt is really buttery smooth, trigger is great tuned down to 1.5lbs.

I've a Tikka T3x CTRin 6.5cm, and i've owned a Reington 700 LTR in 308. Without any modifications, the Tikka actions are much smoother than stock Remington 700s. Tikkas also have way more features than the old school Police and LTR such as oversized boltknob, side bolt release, threaded muzzle, and detachable magazine. Regarding accuracy, the Tikkas shoot very well and are generally considered the most accurate production rifles. However, the Remington 700 Police and LTR models have a great reputation for accuracy as i think Remington Defense builds these models separate from the regular line of 700s, at least that's what a Remington Defense rep said on thsi forum a year or so ago. For sure the pre-RR prefix Remingtons were great shooters, but in general i think you can't go wrong with a Police or LTR model. It all depends on how many features you want.

The Tikka CTR and R700 Police/LTR are all about the same cost, so i think you get more for your money with the Tikka CTR.

Reactions: jcmullis2
I have an older .308 Remington LTR (2002) which consistently shoots 3/4 MOA or occasionally better I Recently bought a Tikka TAC A1 which shoots 1/2 MOA regularly. I had slightly modded the Remington trigger for a lighter pull and now run a Geissele Super 700 trigger. Running stock Tikka trigger set to the lightest pull weight.

An old PSS would be nice, a lot of bang for your buck there. The Tikka is nice too. Buy which ever you really prefer. Both would shoot well. If you plan on eventually turning it into a custom and sending it off to deck it out you will have more options with the Remington. Tikka has grown with aftermarket support, but still nowhere close to Remingtons. I know people recently have kinda lost some love for remingtons but a nicely worked Remington will always hold a place in my heart.

An old PSS would be nice, a lot of bang for your buck there. The Tikka is nice too. Buy which ever you really prefer. Both would shoot well. If you plan on eventually turning it into a custom and sending it off to deck it out you will have more options with the Remington. Tikka has grown with aftermarket support, but still nowhere close to Remingtons. I know people recently have kinda lost some love for remingtons but a nicely worked Remington will always hold a place in my heart.
I love the Remington rifles and have a safe full of them. I’ve been buying Remington rifles for over 40 years and never gotten a bad one. Most of the ones I have came with the hs precision stocks, 40x triggers and jeweled bolts. The actions are very smooth. I’ve had a couple adl varmint rifles that weren’t so smooth new but still shot sub moa groups. After a few hundred rounds they were about as smooth as my others. The Tikkas are nice enough and a cheap alternative but that savings is lost when you dress them up. Just my humble opinion