• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka ctr magazine feed issues?

Macintosh

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2018
I have a t3x ctr in 6.5cm. The mag that came with the rifle is fine, smooth and reliable. I bought a tikka factory mag new from a retailer as a second recently and had 3 separate failure to feeds in a match this weekend, all on the new mag. At first I thought it was me short-throwing the bolt or something, but the other mag works fine and I have never had an issue with any rifle like this including my other tikka, so I don’t think it’s user error.

I had previously seen a few references to a mag feeding issue, including this thread that has a couple videos describing it: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-users-how-to-fix-the-loose-magazine.6931809/
Note I had already done the magazine spring “fix” on this magazine before this issue due to a very loose-feeling follower in the new mag compared to my factory mag. So now the mag has proven itself unreliable despite more spring tension. I have not called beretta yet since I imagine beretta being who they are will tell me to pound sand.

Question is, other than bending the follower for more spring tension (which I have already done), is there a fix for this magazine (other than getting new bottom metal)?

You are not bending the spring for just more spring tension. It needs to be bent in the correct shape for tension on the correct part of the follower. Big difference.

I bent it for additional tension and for more upward pressure on the front of the follower and to keep the follower to the rear of the magazine, all of which initially felt too weak. Now both front and rear of the follower feel more similar to the mag that came with the rifle. It clearly didn’t work, as the mag was well seated and the bolt rode right over the cartridge without stripping it out of the magazine. Appreciate any insight if you have experience.

Look at the pictures on post #21 in this thread. The springs need to look exactly like this. I had to fix two of mine. The bolt would ride over the back of the cartridge. The follower needs to be parallel with the lower spring flat. Use needle nose pliers to shape the bends. @fxdrider nailed it.

Thanks, the picture in that thread is much better. Id say my spring looked just like that after bent, but proof being in the pudding I’ll adjust. Thanks.

There is one negative to CTR mags. They feed so smoothly that you can’t feel a round being picked up and chambered. Bitter sweet. ?

Reactions: 260284
True. It is a lot smoother than the aics dbms I have used, makes it hard to feel if a round isnt picked up. I adjusted my other mag, have not had a chance to test yet but does feel better in hand.