• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tikka Lovers' help me with a problem

duccawlr

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2010
I have a Tikka Big Boar in 308. This gun has always been crazy for me. I was getting good 100 yard groups but at 200 yards it would throw bullets everywhere. I remounted scope and mounts and it did seem to help. Here is my latest group at 100 yards. The inside group is 168gr Win. and the outside 150 Win. Question is is there something else that needs attention to tighten up the group. I have tried lots of other loads and now just losing confidence. I am using deadnuts mounts and Leupold MK4 2.5x8. I am confident in my shooting abilities but just stumped. Any ideas would be appreciated from you guys in the know. Thanks
308target.jpg

Re: Tikka Lovers' help me with a problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe scope has some problems??? </div></div>

1+. Check the torques on your mounts and rings. Run a box test on your scope. Try if you can use a front rest and rear bag to stablize everything so that you have a constant POA, and hopefully POI. Did you change stock? If so, check the action screws as well. I would get some decent match ammo and do these tests. That way you don't pull your hair out. Good luck.

Have someone else shoot it to see if it's you maybe? With no starting target to reference, how do we know what bad is?

I'd start with the scope and mount. How many rounds down the barrel?

try retorquing the action screws with the stock in the vertical position. also try mounting a proven scope with possibly higher power to magnify any movements. just some ideas

This is the second scope and ring combination. I also have remounted this same scope twice before with the same results. To my eye the barrel looks fine along with the crown. I have had others shoot it as well. It just seems the gun should do better than that or am I just being unrealistic? My custom 270 WSM just stacks them on top of one another so I know it's not me. This is the factory stock and a piece of paper floats good almost to the recoil lug. I have only had about 100 rounds through the gun and I purchased brand new.

It should shoot a lot better than this at 100 yds..Da-Law-Dawg another hide member shot a .302 with mine, We Hand load for our guns A tikka t3 and a lawton , Both are tack drivers, the tikka is shooting .302 and the lawton is shooting .301 both with Da-Law-Dawg behind them,, our recipe is 168grn amax, 44gr varget seated to mag lenth..

Try letting someone else shoot it and see what kind of group you get, How many rounds has been fired between cleanings, check for copper fouling, the gun should shoot a lot better than that..

Out of three Tikka t3's I've shot, 2 have been absolute tack drivers from the factory. A friend's 30-06 and 308 shot one holers out of the box with cheap Federal ammo. Another friend's 338wm was inconsistent, about 3" @100. We tried a different scope and mounts and took it down to 1 1/2". We then bedded the action and worked up a load, and it is now shooting less than an inch. Something is wrong with yours if my experiance is normal.

Doesnt vertical stringing mean a bedding problem? I have no experience with Tikka's so i may be way off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of three Tikka t3's I've shot, 2 have been absolute tack drivers from the factory. A friend's 30-06 and 308 shot one holers out of the box with cheap Federal ammo. Another friend's 338wm was inconsistent, about 3" @100. We tried a different scope and mounts and took it down to 1 1/2". We then bedded the action and worked up a load, and it is now shooting less than an inch. Something is wrong with yours if my experiance is normal. </div></div>

The combination of a very poor recoil lug design and a cheap plastic stock almost guarantee that heavy recoiling caliber Tikkas will not shoot. I actually went to the R700 style lug for my 300WM with pillar bedding before it would tighten up. It is possible that a steel replacement lug would help.

I've not seen this type of inaccuracy in .308's however, so there *might* be another problem. But it couldn't hurt to pillar bed it and replace that POS piece of aluminum when you do.

John