• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka M65A action rail q

max-x

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2013
King City, CA
Found a neat curiosity on my Tikka M65A while shopping for a proper scope & rings for it -

The scope rail/ action rail on the 65A (yes the 65A) measures 15.7mm 'across', while the action rail on the M55/ M65 series are 16.3mm and finally the T3 is advertised as 17mm

Does anyone out there have the background on the rail dimensional change or on the M65A design particularly with regard to the rail dimension?
(ie maybe an external driver present was present in the year of our lord 1990, when Parker Hale made the Spuhr equivalent rings of the day, and they were 15.7mm?)

The overall design is a very impressive evolution which tells the story of the transition from the M65 to the 558/ 658 as the 80's turned to the 90's. It's also very neat to understand the design ideas (and complexity) which went into the 65A from the Tak-85 really, but quickly evolved to the TRG-21/41 to improve robustness. The engineering fundamentals used are pretty cool.

I think it will be close enough to use Tikka/Sako rings , you will however need to make a different recoil stop , like a little L shape , as the one that comes with the rings is not able to use , due to the different shape of the action port .
If PH rings are needed , get some from SportMatch company.

Reactions: max-x
The action is very smooth due to the nylon sliding insert at the rear of action .
The rifle was between the time of Tikka M55 rifle with bull barrel & the TRG-21/41 rifle , and once the TRG came out Tikka did not make something to compete , as they where owned by Sako by then ?
The SAS used a version of the M55 I think in 22-250 as a urban sniper rifle for a time .

Last edited:
Thank you for that; I'll hope it works. The 65A/ 658 lack of drilled receiver is curious, as both the 65 and 695 had drilled receivers.

The trigger is a very unique element. A Two stage Tikka from long ago.