• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka or? In Custom Chassis- help for new guy

NthDegreen

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2020
Nevada City, Ca
Hi All- I much appreciate all your help and contributions, have been viewing here as a stalker for many years off and on, tried reaching out to Frank and a few individuals in the trade, would appreciate some opinions...

So I’m looking for best package for the money, under $2k- I had looked at Daniel Defense DeltaPro5, Christensen MPR (steel barrel version), Badrock Southfork, all the MPA Bergaras, Kimber SOC II and Tikka T3X TAC A1.

**My definites were nice modular chassis preferably in FDE or Bronze, HAS to be folding stock, and 20-22” .308, sub 1/2 MOA accuracy
The folding stock need knocked out most of above and I had strongly settled on Kimber SOC II or, leaning towards Tikka T3X TAC A1. Found a few Kimbers and a few more Tikkas on GB lightly used but only in Black- haven’t seen any coyote Tikkas and they are upcharging $500 for that color retail online.
I had considered custom but it seemed too complicated at first, want to stay sub 2k price

So I’m now considering this off FRANKS videos/

For cheaper than mentioned above, can I get:

-MDT ESS or Cadex Defence, similar quality/look Folding modern chassis

-Tikka T3X .308 or action you recommend, a la carte

-TriggerTech or Timney, or a group of Tikka includes

-your Bartlein left hand gain twist (fluted?) 20/22” barrel

Thanks guys

Tikka TAC A1 are selling quickly here in Western Australia.
They are consistently accurate, and hunting friendly.
I very nearly bought one myself, but decided on the Super Varmint.
Enjoy whatever choice you make, but for an out of the box rifle, I'd go Tikka.

thank you much for the reply, that helps lean me more to the Tac A1 if I go factory, curious on the custom build avenue setup I outlined above as well if anyone can help too

I have a custom Tikka that I really like, and am in the process of building a full custom Defiance.

Tikka is going to have significantly better quality control than the Kimbers I have seen. If buying off the shelf I would go Tikka all day. Although that Daniel Defense would be fun to try.

If you want color, it would be cheaper probably to buy the Black and then get it cerakoted.

Thank you Aggie, that was my thought as well- I have a gunsmith that anodizes but i don't think that would work out over the factory black finish... didn't know if you could CK over the factory black finish... any idea what that would cost to just do the components roughly the same as it comes from Tikka?

Does anyone have any experience building what I asked before: I'm a bit illiterate in that I'm wondering if you can buy all those parts separate- ie a Tikka T3X action, or do I have to find a good deal on the cheapest complete Tikka rifle, scavenge the action out of that, then find a barrel, chassis, trigger group, etc.?

Tikka Varmint then thread the barrel - that is what did on a 223

Thank you Aggie, that was my thought as well- I have a gunsmith that anodizes but i don't think that would work out over the factory black finish... didn't know if you could CK over the factory black finish... any idea what that would cost to just do the components roughly the same as it comes from Tikka?

Does anyone have any experience building what I asked before: I'm a bit illiterate in that I'm wondering if you can buy all those parts separate- ie a Tikka T3X action, or do I have to find a good deal on the cheapest complete Tikka rifle, scavenge the action out of that, then find a barrel, chassis, trigger group, etc.?

They don't just sell the tikka actions or barreled actions so you would have to buy a complete rifle. A lot of people do just that though.

Buy a completed rifle for $650 take the barrel and stock of and sell those to recoup some money. Then buy prefit barrel plus chassis of choice and should stay under $2k no problem.

They don't just sell the tikka actions or barreled actions so you would have to buy a complete rifle. A lot of people do just that though.

Buy a completed rifle for $650 take the barrel and stock of and sell those to recoup some money. Then buy prefit barrel plus chassis of choice and should stay under $2k no problem.
Thank you Luke, could you recommend which Tikka is the least expensive to source? I'm unsure of which action I would want- to stay on par with the Tac A1 T3x

The actions themselves are all the same other than the material (stainless vs blued which is what the tac a1 is). Only differences are the barrel profile, bolt stop length and the bolt head diameter depending on cartridge.

Buy cheapest short action tikka you can find (usually a lite model) with standard .473 bolt face (.308, 6.5 creed, .243 etc) and go from there

Reactions: NthDegreen
I own the TAC A1 in 6.5 and the T3x in .308. I did not find anything I liked as good as, let alone better. Tikka's QC is outstanding, I just bought my 13 year old the TAC A1 and after 2 weekends he is hitting steel out past 700 yds. I'm interested in a custom build, but not ready to enter the world of Frankengun yet.
Good luck in your search,
Bob

Ok heres another thought, I noticed the sniperhide custom rifle that has been talked about for awhile, not sure if it's out yet, but uses the 700... for me building one rifle- do you all recommend I start with a Tikka action? Or could I more readily find a 700 short action where I wouldn't have to purchase an entire rifle to take the action out?

I personally wouldn't compare a Tikka action with a 700.
*grabs kevlar for incoming abuse*😳
I think Tikka are streaks ahead of the 700 action.
700 is a popular action though.
And probably a cheap, easy option to start with.
I still firmly believe you would be hard pressed to find a better rifle in the $ range of the Tikka TAC A1.

Reactions: Luke G
Ok heres another thought, I noticed the sniperhide custom rifle that has been talked about for awhile, not sure if it's out yet, but uses the 700... for me building one rifle- do you all recommend I start with a Tikka action? Or could I more readily find a 700 short action where I wouldn't have to purchase an entire rifle to take the action out?

In my personal opinion if you want to go with a 700 style action don't actually buy a Remington. At that point you are better off buying a bighorn origin or any of the other entry level 700 footprint actions and building from there. Remington factory actions don't have shouldered prefits available and you will probably want to get it trued up so by the time you are done with that you may as well have just spent the money on a custom action.

In your position I would either stick with the tikka idea or go ground up with a custom.

I personally wouldn't compare a Tikka action with a 700.
*grabs kevlar for incoming abuse*😳
I think Tikka are streaks ahead of the 700 action.
700 is a popular action though.
And probably a cheap, easy option to start with.
I still firmly believe you would be hard pressed to find a better rifle in the $ range of the Tikka TAC A1.

^^^ What this guy said.

I have multiples of both and the factory 700 action doesn't hold a candle to a tikka. Customs are another story but hard to beat $500-$600 for a tikka action with a great factory trigger after you sell of the stock/barrel.

Id say get what you like and can afford not sure how much your talking about paying for a tika but the ones I have seen aren't crazy expensive and they appear to shoot really nice , you could always find a chassis later if you find one your really want to own . Custom is really nice but the price jumps up really fast but again its all up to you . Good luck which ever way you decide to go and have a lot of fun .

Id say get what you like and can afford not sure how much your talking about paying for a tika but the ones I have seen aren't crazy expensive and they appear to shoot really nice , you could always find a chassis later if you find one your really want to own . Custom is really nice but the price jumps up really fast but again its all up to you . Good luck which ever way you decide to go and have a lot of fun .
Thanks guys.. yeah it's seeming like for $500 I can get an MDT ESS XL in FDE with folding stock (few hundred upgrade there), I saw for $885 appears cheapest Defiance Tenacity (I believe thats a 700 SA clone?), or cheapest Tikka is around $500 to buy used for the action. So just over $1k for excellent chassis and Tikka action. I'm thinking $400 for a top barrel like Frank mentioned- the Bartlein left hand gain twist, then a trigger? I guess I'm under $2k?

Don’t really have to worry about trigger with the tikka unless you want a two stage. Stock trigger with a $10 spring from TikkaPreformance or Yodave works pretty damn well.

Buy the 20" Tikka T3X CTR .308 ($800-900) that's a heavier contour and threaded barrel with no need to replace barrel. Sell the stock and bottom metal/mag for $125-$150 (no need when using chassis). Buy your ESS chassis, and use the money saved to up scope budget or ammo budget.

Edit: KRG Whiskey 3 folder is a bad ass chassis for the Tikkas!

Last edited:
Reactions: LeftyJason
Buy the 20" Tikka T3X CTR .308 ($800-900) that's a heavier contour and threaded barrel with no need to replace barrel. Sell the stock and bottom metal/mag for $125-$150 (no need when using chassis). Buy your ESS chassis, and use the money saved to up scope budget or ammo budget.

Edit: KRG Whiskey 3 folder is a bad ass chassis for the Tikkas!
Thank you for the advice Harman!

Can’t find any .308 CTRs at moment... there is a light used T3X TAC A1 for around $1300 ending soon... that’s more money but could I stay with that barrel (is that similar to CTR) and trigger. How much would I gain selling the chassis and mag?

Thanks guys.. yeah it's seeming like for $500 I can get an MDT ESS XL in FDE with folding stock (few hundred upgrade there), I saw for $885 appears cheapest Defiance Tenacity (I believe thats a 700 SA clone?), or cheapest Tikka is around $500 to buy used for the action. So just over $1k for excellent chassis and Tikka action. I'm thinking $400 for a top barrel like Frank mentioned- the Bartlein left hand gain twist, then a trigger? I guess I'm under $2k?
Your prices are all wrong. The Folding MDT is over $11-1200 by itself. $400 buys you the bartlein barrel blank. Not chambered or threaded. Add another couple hundred.

Can’t find any .308 CTRs at moment... there is a light used T3X TAC A1 for around $1300 ending soon... that’s more money but could I stay with that barrel (is that similar to CTR) and trigger. How much would I gain selling the chassis and mag?

$1300 for a tac a1 is a pretty good deal if you don’t mine the barrel contour (same as CTR)

Your prices are all wrong. The Folding MDT is over $11-1200 by itself. $400 buys you the bartlein barrel blank. Not chambered or threaded. Add another couple hundred.
You’re correct, my bad, when I listed that it was my top choice, my price range that referred to was the LSS-XL Gen 2...

I think he mistyped and put ESS but meant LSS XL. There are prefits available for 400 though but not Bartleins.

You’re correct, my bad, when I listed that it was my top choice, my price range that referred to was the LSS-XL Gen 2...
Even the LSS won't get you down the $500 range. You need to add in the folding adaptor, stock, and grip.

Based on personal experience I would say that buying a Tikka CTR, ditching the stock and buying a chassis of your choice will get you a damn nice rifle. I bought a CTR from Eurooptic for somewhere around $900-950. Added an XLR Element chassis for $400 and have been very happy with it. Fixing the stock trigger is as easy as buying a YoDave spring for $10, which will get your trigger down below 2 pounds.

Not sure why you are looking for a .308. I really like the 6.5CM round, particularly if you plan on shooting beyond 600 yards. Better ballistics and less recoil. Plus very good factory ammo. I've even had decent results with Hornady American Gunner ammo, which is pretty reasonably priced - when you can find it.

I've also shot the Tikka TAC-A1 and it is also a great rifle.

Shit, now all this info comes in after the fact :) Hopefully I didn't (pun) jump the gun... I haven't paid yet, but i'm making bank transfer arrangements with the seller right now for the TacA1. I went .308 because of better future availability of ammo where I intend to move. 6.5 seems a bit more rare and more $. Figured I could always in an unforseen future get hands on .308. I am aware though it seemed to have better ballistics and recoil. I intend to hunt with the .308 also

I wouldn't have any buyer's regret. The TAC-A1 is a great rifle. Also, nothing wrong with .308. Ammo will always be available and up to about 5-600 yards the differences in ballistics aren't going to be that noticeable. Not sure if the TAC comes with a muzzle brake - if not put an Area 419 or APA brake on it and you're good to go.

The Tac A1 meets all of your original requirements except it's not FDE. I would not change a thing for sometime.

Scope and scope mount/rings are very important, do not "cheap out". As far as recommendations: check out the Optics/Scope part of the forum. People ask for the same recommendations every other day.

Considering how you new you are I would look seriously at attending a in person course/class from a reputable company.

Thanks guys. The seller included a Warne 20moa ring set. Can you all please recommend .308 ammo type (brand, grain, etc)- I’m purchasing some at the moment- two types- one for target/practice, one for hunting/better precision/etc...

thank you again

I moved this to another forum section as well under range ballistics, not sure if thats appropriate...

I'm finding Federal Power Shock soft point in 150 or 180 grain - $.75/.85 per round
or
Winchester Super X 150/180 grain in their power point- $.99/round

Last edited:
My go to round for .308 as far as accuracy is concerned is Federal Gold Medal Match, either 168gr or 175gr. Generally costs about $1.25/rd. when you can find it.

Might also look at Hornady, Black Hills and Prime and see what shoots best out of your gun.