• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka prefit options

SB545

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
I recently sold my trusty 270wsm after buying a donor t3x and ordering a custom barrel. 4.5 months and two tries later I now need a new barrel maker/finisher.

I'd like to stay somewhat affordable (~$450-600 if cerakoted) but still have decent quality and factory accuracy or better. A profile that fits the factory stock would be ideal even if it takes a little sanding. 5/8x24 muzzle threads are preferred with a small flare at the muzzle to get a solid shoulder. i don't need fluting but cerakote would be a plus to keep it drab and weatherproof. if a smith can take a thicker profile blank (heavy sporter?), turn it down and thread it then i'm interested. it'd also be nice to stay in the faster twist rate around 8 or 7.5 and a shouldered prefit. if i have to i can stomach a barrel nut but it's definitely not preferred, no pun intended.

so, any recommendations?

X-Caliber (barrel nut)
Preferred Barrel (in my state)
PVA
Carbon 6 (steel) not sure why they don't have a 270wsm reamer
Crown Ridge (barrel nut)
Criterion (Slow twist/barrel nut)
Bugholes (Not taking new customers)
OMR (carbon and a little above my price range. won't fit factory stock)
Bartlein (out of price range)
Kreiger (12 mo lead time)

I'm sure there are some i've left out. I'm particularly interested in a finisher that has in stock blanks since it'd be nice to have it for this spring.

I've had great experiences with McGowen. They take the time to understand what you need, ask good questions, and deliver a quality product at a fair price. I have a barrel for my Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5-CM under construction now, and the 300-WM they made for me is a very straight shooter.

I had a great chat with Gene from carbon six today. Looks like they have a 270wsm reamer now and fast twists available. Unfortunately they only do carbon barrels currently but it has me thinking about getting a new stock just for the barrel. They are from my home town and currently 16 weeks out on customs.

I had an ok chat with someone at preferred barrel and it seems like they can make a similar barrel to what I'm looking for. Cerakote colors are pretty limited and they are around 10 weeks out.

Am I missing any other options out there?

i have 2 barrels from xcaliber they both shoot good and a friend has pva no barrel nut it shoots really good but cost a lil more

Thanks for all the reccomendations. I ended up going with a barrel nut. Anthony at crown ridge is going to pick up a reamer for my caliber and have one to me in a fraction of the time it would take any other the others. It'll be a little thicker profile than what I'm used to but I'm sure I can fit it in the factory stock with a little work.

Reactions: YotaEer
Thanks for all the reccomendations. I ended up going with a barrel nut. Anthony at crown ridge is going to pick up a reamer for my caliber and have one to me in a fraction of the time it would take any other the others. It'll be a little thicker profile than what I'm used to but I'm sure I can fit it in the factory stock with a little work.

How did your barrel from him turn out?

I’m looking at getting my next tikka prefit from crown ridge. Maybe a spiral fluted light Palma. Then have it cerakoted by someone else as I asked, and Anthony said he doesn’t do any coating.

I've been too busy to put much time in it until last couple weeks. Currently I'm still running down some pressure issues with it but Anthony is taking care of me. I'd still buy again from him since the customer service is good. Even with the pressure it shoots tight groups.

How did your barrel from him turn out?

I’m looking at getting my next tikka prefit from crown ridge. Maybe a spiral fluted light Palma. Then have it cerakoted by someone else as I asked, and Anthony said he doesn’t do any coating.
I've ordered multiple barrels from Anthony for tikkas. All nut barrels, but they've all been excellent and are usually at your doorstep in a week or two.

He'll make a shouldered barrel, but last time I checked he wanted you to send in the action.

I've ordered multiple barrels from Anthony for tikkas. All nut barrels, but they've all been excellent and are usually at your doorstep in a week or two.

He'll make a shouldered barrel, but last time I checked he wanted you to send in the action.
Yes, the shouldered prefits he asks you to send in the action still.

I'll probably wait until winter but will order another barrel from him for another Tikka that needs threads for a suppressor. Haven't decided on caliber yet.

Reactions: lonestar1845

Yea I’m looking at doing a barrel nut from him to avoid the extra cost and time of the shouldered. Other prefits I’ve had from PVA and carbon six were shoulered but not too worried about the look.

Have you done flutes on any of the barrels you got from him? I’d like to get mine fluted but apprehensive since they’re button rifled. Don’t want to mess up a good thing.

Yea I’m looking at doing a barrel nut from him to avoid the extra cost and time of the shouldered. Other prefits I’ve had from PVA and carbon six were shoulered but not too worried about the look.

Have you done flutes on any of the barrels you got from him? I’d like to get mine fluted but apprehensive since they’re button rifled. Don’t want to mess up a good thing.
I've never had any fluting done. All the barrels I order from him are MTU profile, so nothing lightweight.

Carbon 6 270wsm is on order. 3rd time is the charm. Or 4th if you count the other McGowen.

Reactions: 260284