• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka prefit

Dildobaggins

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2020
I'm searching for a list of barrel makers who thread barrels for Tikka actions. No smiths around me do it. Hell, there arent any gunsmiths around me period. Trying to keep this budget friendly(under $600)
I know proof does them but those are too much for me. I would like a shouldered prefit. So far I have

Preferred barrels
Mcgowan
Anyone else out there?

thanks

I can vouch for McGowen ... got a 300-WM pre-fit to replace the barrel on my MPA. The McGowen barrel is beautiful, and their web site is an awesome place to order what you need.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
I can vouch for McGowen ... got a 300-WM pre-fit to replace the barrel on my MPA. The McGowen barrel is beautiful, and their web site is an awesome place to order what you need.
Good to know. They are the cheapest as well. I also really like the site.

Under $600 all-in, none others come to mind. With no muzzle threads, most outfits will chamber and cut receiver threads for $300, give or take. That means you need a blank for less than $300, which is a bit tough unless you snag one for a discount somewhere. Granted, I only think of the high-end makers (Bartlein, Brux, Shilen, Lilja, Hart, etc.), and those blanks all run $350-400 these days I think, right in line with Proof.

You could talk to @Front Range Precision, see if they'd order some for you. Their prices are lower than Proof direct, but they only have what they've ordered in advance.

Out of your original price range but Evolved ballistics has a few prefit proof carbons in stock.

Yeah, this is going to be for plinking and hunting whitetail 500 yards and under. I can't justify that much for this. A proof CFW is on my bucket list though 🤣

Carbon 6 offers a snipers hide discount. Call Gene. I have 4 shouldered prefits from carbon 6 for my tikkas and they shoot as good as my proof barrels.

Under $600 all-in, none others come to mind. With no muzzle threads, most outfits will chamber and cut receiver threads for $300, give or take. That means you need a blank for less than $300, which is a bit tough unless you snag one for a discount somewhere. Granted, I only think of the high-end makers (Bartlein, Brux, Shilen, Lilja, Hart, etc.), and those blanks all run $350-400 these days I think, right in line with Proof.

You could talk to @Front Range Precision, see if they'd order some for you. Their prices are lower than Proof direct, but they only have what they've ordered in advance.
From Shilen's website they appear to be in my price range. Under threadings they have a Sako. I'm not sure if they are the same threads though. Maybe I'll give them a call and ask. I'm in NY. I'm about a 1.5 hour drive from HART. Talked to someone at hart barrels on Friday, and they are 11 to 12 months out he said.

Good to know. They are the cheapest as well. I also really like the site.
One thing that caught my attention was that after I made my online order, Dan from McGowen called me and said "Hey, why did you select ________ instead of ________ ... I just want to understand and make sure we get you what you need." We talked through my objectives with the new barrel and made two changes to better meet my objectives (crown and contour). They didn't have to do that. They could have just mindlessly filled my order, but they cared enough to call and clarify what I needed. That really impressed me in this day and age of manufacturers that frequently don't give a flying-f**k about anything but cashing the check.

One thing that caught my attention was that after I made my online order, Dan from McGowen called me and said "Hey, why did you select ________ instead of ________ ... I just want to understand and make sure we get you what you need." We talked through my objectives with the new barrel and made two changes to better meet my objectives (crown and contour). They didn't have to do that. They could have just mindlessly filled my order, but they cared enough to call and clarify what I needed. That really impressed me in this day and age of manufacturers that frequently don't give a flying-f**k about anything but cashing the check.
Thats awesome. Sounds like I could buy with confidence!

I’ve had good luck with PVA and carbon six on my tikka. Though the PVA shot better and cleaned easier.

Last edited:
Don’t forget crown ridge barrel works. He’s done 5 barrels for me in the past 6 months and his work is great and turn around time has been about a week.
Looks like they just do barrel nuts for Tikkas, not fixed shoulder. And if I want a fixed I'd have to send the action in I believe?