• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka questions: action,mag,inlet La/Sa

408w

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Western ny
Looking at buying a t3x super lite in 30-06 for hunting. From what I understand the Tikka actions are all the same size and the difference is an interchangeable bolt stop? If I ever decided to go to a short action cartridge. Could I use the same stock? Are the inlets the same and Mags have a different spacer for the two cartridge sizes? Could someone explain how Tikka does short action and long action on same action and the differences between the two.

-thanks guys

Looking at buying a t3x super lite in 30-06 for hunting. From what I understand the Tikka actions are all the same size and the difference is an interchangeable bolt stop? If I ever decided to go to a short action cartridge. Could I use the same stock? Are the inlets the same and Mags have a different spacer for the two cartridge sizes? Could someone explain how Tikka does short action and long action on same action and the differences between the two.

-thanks guys
1547409670840.png

My guess is that the aftermarket stocks are only inletted for short or long action mags as they use different mags than factory.

Looking at buying a t3x super lite in 30-06 for hunting. From what I understand the Tikka actions are all the same size and the difference is an interchangeable bolt stop? YES If I ever decided to go to a short action cartridge. Could I use the same stock? YES Are the inlets the same and Mags have a different spacer for the two cartridge sizes? YES Could someone explain how Tikka does short action and long action on same action and the differences between the two.

-thanks guys
Yes, yes and yes. You are correct. Actions are same, can swap factory 30-06 stock with a factory .243. Differences are bolt stop and mag spacer. My Factory mags that come with l/a calibers are stamped “L”, s/a stamped “sm”. I have Manners and McMillan inletted for both factory bm and cdi so it would depend on if you are running the factory mag or something like AI. If you inletted for factory plastic bm note that once you torque action screws mag may stick or be difficult to remove so Mountain Tactical or Redsnake Tactical is the ticket there for “Metal” bm. Pm me if you have any questions or need more pics as examples. More stuff coming out all the time if you just want to use the action in the future but still a long way from aftermarket options of my R700s or clones. Also there is a looonng Tikka thread on here I would suggest you subscribe to.

-thanks guys
I wrote up a Tikka buying guide in the Tikka thread post #3273
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/tikka-t3-thread.6252615/page-66

Also recommend that you read the tikka thread. It's long but worth it.

Correction factory mags in s/a (.308/.243) are marked M, wsm calibers (300wsm) marked SM

Tikka makes 1 length actio. For the sake of discussion, let’s call it a long action.

That long action becomes a “short action” when Tikka installed a bolt stop that reduces overall travel of the bolt.

The action didn’t change. The bolt stop did.

There are 3 bolt stop lengths, in order from shortest to longest.

Short
CTR
Long

There are 3 bolt stop lengths, in order from shortest to longest.

Short
CTR
Long

Really? First I've heard of that. Not saying you're wrong, btw. I have all three and I've never noticed any difference aside from short action and long. My 308 CTR just seems to be a short action.

-Stooxie

I don’t have a short and long to measure against, but I believe I’ve read it here. The CTR bolt stop is a tweener.

Well I'll be darned... I'm going to go check that out right now.
I've never tried the short in my CTR so not sure if it will work or not.
I know I've never found a CTR specific bolt stop sold anywhere....

Reactions: Stooxie
Well, well! I just checked my rifles and found that there ARE three bolt stop lengths BUT... not in the way described above! I looked at how far back the bolt would go, I didn't actually remove the bolt and stop. Here's what I found.

T3 270win: Obviously a long action. Bolt recedes about 1/4" (ish) behind the left side of the ejection port.
T3x 308, T3x CTR 308 and and T3x 223: All the same! Bolt stops just at the left side fo the ejection port.

So who is the mystery third length?

Well, I happen to have a T3 Scout in 223, one of the ones imported around 2010-2012 with the super heavy barrel. It has a shorter stop than the other two, the bolt stops about 1/4" in front of the left side of the ejection port.

That would explain why the spare part isn't to be found. The rifle hasn't been sold here for many years. Not sure if other limited release models (like the Tactical) use the same stop.

So the summary, as reported by my stable of Tikkas is:

Long action (270, magnum length)
Short action (308 length, used for 223 as well)
Mini action? (Used on the T3 223 Scout and maybe others as well.)

I don't have a magnum caliber Tikka, I don't actually know if that bolt stop is the same as a 270/30-06.

-Stooxie

Well, well! I just checked my rifles and found that there ARE three bolt stop lengths BUT... not in the way described above! I looked at how far back the bolt would go, I didn't actually remove the bolt and stop. Here's what I found.

T3 270win: Obviously a long action. Bolt recedes about 1/4" (ish) behind the left side of the ejection port.
T3x 308, T3x CTR 308 and and T3x 223: All the same! Bolt stops just at the left side fo the ejection port.

So who is the mystery third length?

Well, I happen to have a T3 Scout in 223, one of the ones imported around 2010-2012 with the super heavy barrel. It has a shorter stop than the other two, the bolt stops about 1/4" in front of the left side of the ejection port.

That would explain why the spare part isn't to be found. The rifle hasn't been sold here for many years. Not sure if other limited release models (like the Tactical) use the same stop.

So the summary, as reported by my stable of Tikkas is:

Long action (270, magnum length)
Short action (308 length, used for 223 as well)
Mini action? (Used on the T3 223 Scout and maybe others as well.)

I don't have a magnum caliber Tikka, I don't actually know if that bolt stop is the same as a 270/30-06.

-Stooxie
If your calling the short stop I have pictured as the mystery stop they are sold all over the internet.
It's the CTR I have pictured that you can't find.
If you want to know for sure pull the bolt stops and see what you find.....

If your calling the short stop I have pictured as the mystery stop they are sold all over the internet.
It's the CTR I have pictured that you can't find.
If you want to know for sure pull the bolt stops and see what you find.....

I may do that because what you describe is not what I saw. My CTR had the same bolt travel as all my other short action Tikkas. Only the Scout was different, and it was the shortest. So that bolt stop had to be the furthest up.

-Stooxie

Tikka also has a medium length magazine labeled M+ which grants a longer COAL than the standard short magazine. Released with their 6.5 Creedmoor a year or two back.

Reactions: PFG
Sorry to yank this thread out of the grave. I have my old factory stock from a T3 .308,. One of the old Scout 20" HB models. A friend has offered me a T3 Tactical .223 barreled action + factory mag. Would the 2 be compatible?

Thanks.