• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka replacement bolts?

Knight_Who_Says_Ni

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
Idaho
Does anyone make an aftermarket magnum bolt for Tikka rifles? I know Brownells has them occasionally, but they’re few and far between.

In theory, could I take one out of my 7 Mag and have a fab shop make me another one?

I was just thinking this earlier today. With the flexibility provided by the T3 design, someone could make a few bucks making aftermarket bolt bodies for them. The rest of the bolt parts switch over, so compatibility wouldn't be a problem...

Further, the bolt body is a REALLY simple design, so I'd think that it'd be relatively simple to produce.

Possibly a new product idea for @LongRifles Inc. and their new gee-whiz machining robot?

Reactions: MarinePMI
Although the Tikka action is very nice, solid, and affordable... the lack of ability to get another bolt at a reasonable cost is a big detractor. It makes a Bighorn Origin look better and better when you start comparing apples to apples. That is, if you go with the "one rifle" approach.

Another vote for @LongRifles Inc. to consider this. Might be a way to keep that new 5 axis machine running...

As to Midwest Gunworks...if you're the only game in town...

Reactions: BurnOut
I'm guessing he has a .308 bolt face, and wants to run a 6.5PRC (or similar), which would require a short action magnum bolt.

I'm guessing he has a .308 bolt face, and wants to run a 6.5PRC (or similar), which would require a short action magnum bolt.
Something like this. I bought a T3 in 30-06 intending to convert it to 6.5x55 or 6.5 Addiction, but ended up changing my my mind to want to run either 6.5 PRC or 270 WSM. As things have happened, I am very nearly certain that I'm going to go with the WSM, but either way, a magnum bolt face is required.

They are the same price as most of your aftermarket bolts for actions. I think curtis charges $375 per bolt. Same with defiance. The only cheaper swappable calibers I know of are bighorns and ARCs.

They are the same price as most of your aftermarket bolts for actions. I think curtis charges $375 per bolt. Same with defiance. The only cheaper swappable calibers I know of are bighorns and ARCs.
...and Savages, FWIW.

In any event, I just can't believe that replacement bolt prices have much to do with materials cost or machining operations, and it's purely an availability/economy-of-scale thing. The reason behind this belief: AR 15 BCGs. From a materials/machining perspective, I just can't imagine that replacement bolts for bolt guns (especially those with removable bolt handles) are any more involved than AR BCGs, which can be easily be had for $100 or less... complete.

The difference is that there are a ton of sources out there for BCGs, and not so many for aftermarket bolt gun bolts (which is understandable, given the ease of DIY AR assembly, what with spec values for bolt face depth and the fact that the headspacing is actually set by the barrel extension).

Reactions: patriot07
Just be careful if fixing it - make absolutely sure there are no cracks or dangerous damage to either the bolt or receiver (we will have a better idea once the pics are up) as they obviously took a serious squash to bugger the bolt. If it is just a bent handle it may be easy enough to fix.
I wouldn't swap the bolt from another tikka in any case as the headspace may be different and the bolt would have to be from a similar gun with the same head size in any case.

Just be careful if fixing it - make absolutely sure there are no cracks or dangerous damage to either the bolt or receiver (we will have a better idea once the pics are up) as they obviously took a serious squash to bugger the bolt. If it is just a bent handle it may be easy enough to fix.
I wouldn't swap the bolt from another tikka in any case as the headspace may be different and the bolt would have to be from a similar gun with the same head size in any case.

Uhhh...did you read the OP's response?

As to the head space, yes check, but Tikka is known to have pretty tight tolerances, meaning most actions (if not all) headspace on factory spec'ed barrels without issues.

Reactions: khuber84
Most shops will be hesitant as this is a critical part is keeping the boom inside. I know I would not want to take on the liability of blowing up someone's gun for a few bucks. It would have to be something well tested and proofed over a range of t3 actions, which is all going to add to the final cost. Based in the small market it doesn't seem worth a shop investing time and resources unless they already are setup or are a firearms business. Just my .02

Reactions: TylerN
Does anyone make an aftermarket magnum bolt for Tikka rifles? I know Brownells has them occasionally, but they’re few and far between.

In theory, could I take one out of my 7 Mag and have a fab shop make me another one?

Just go off the phone with LRI, they are going to be producing tikka replacement bolts and they should be coming to market in the next few weeks. Keep an eye on the FB page and website for more info. Suppose to come with threaded handles and bolt fluting option with a low introductory price to kick off the product.

Reactions: Bf7