• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka Sporter reports?

chrfuh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2006
Douglas, Arizona
I am being very tempted to order a Tikka Sporter in .260 or 6.5x55 but am having a heck of a time finding any field reports on them. Surely someone here has one but has not reported...? Of course, we always want to see results of accuracy testing, but I'm also interested in COAL allowable in both magazines and chambers.

Thanks!

Re: Tikka Sporter reports?

I have the 6.5x55 in the T3 lite. Plenty of room for any bullet. Very accurate for a lite hunting rifle. My latest load is the 123 a-max at 3000. Should be rough on whitetails and pigs.

Since the T3 is a one-size action, you could theoretically use long action mags with a .260 and run any dang OAL you wanted. The short action mags are the same size on the outside, there's just a spacer block in there. The bolt stop is a little further forward to not allow so much bolt travel, it would need to be switched to a magnum/long action version as well.

I too would like to hear some reports on the Sporter, but I can guess that it will shoot pretty well.
Justin

I bought the T3 Sporter last month in 6.5x55. I just ordered my Glass for it today so I have not started load development yet, but looking at the magazine it would easily hold a cartridge up to 3.3". My reloading Manual has the 6.5x55 as having an Max cartridge Length of 3.15" so there is plenty of room for longer bullets. As soon as Scott at Liberty Optics sends me my scope and I get some bench time I'll get some info on what the chamber will let me get away with. The stock is very comfortable and not as heavy as I had imagined. And the only issue with fit and finish that I found is the inside of the magazine well was not finish sanded other than that its beautiful.

Hope that helps,

Thank you! I knew there had to be someone out there. I'm really tempted on a 6.5x55 since the action is a one-size-fits-all, and therefore also was assuming one could load the .260's out as far as needed (or throat allows). I already know the stock is going to fit fantastically, having already owned a TRG.

Please keep me updated if you don't mind. Public post or private message. Thanks

Don't know if this applies to your question but, I have a T3 in .223. It is the most accurate factory rifle I have owned in the 25 yrs. that I have been shooting. The action cycles like a dream. This gun is really going to take off in the near future.
Hope this helps. Regards, Paul.
grin.gif

One thing I like about the T3 is like Massoud stated....one action length. Wish they did that for the Master Sporters. Currently searching for a donor action for a 260 build

I bought the 6.5x55 last month. I have been trying to decide on a scope. I think maybe the ior 3.5x18x44 i dont like huge objectives. I got the 6.5x55 because i dont reload and not many factory rounds for 260. If you get the 260 you can get good bottom metal from cdi or roedale, and use ai magazines. however I did message the guy at cdi precision and he said he is working on tikka long action bottom metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolt fluter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know if this applies to your question but, I have a T3 in .223. It is the most accurate factory rifle I have owned in the 25 yrs. that I have been shooting. The action cycles like a dream. This gun is really going to take off in the near future.
Hope this helps. Regards, Paul.
grin.gif
</div></div>

I agree 100% I have the same rifle in 223 and it's super accurate. I'm also wanting to buy a sporter, but am undecided between the 260 and the 6.5x55. I don't reload and it seems there is more off the shelf ammo options for the 6.5x55, but not too much as far as match ammo. Oh the decisions!

Im up to three tikkas, a pair of T3 light in .223 and .270 and a heavy .223. They all have been amazing out of the box. I did swap out the OEM stock on the .270 and stuck it in one of the BC stocks with the aluminum block just to try something different.

Here is the .270 in the BC stock.
3db89258.jpg

if beretta would import all the tikka models and calibers..... things could get interesting. I am currently collecting parts for a tikka build. I love tikkas.

If you could get a tikka super varmint in .260, drop it in a manners..... Boom project done

I have a 595 Master Sporter that I have had for several years, nice gun but is still unfired. And the answer is no it is not for sale.

Thank you, dieselten.

That is what I was looking for.

Looking forward to hearing more reports on the <span style="color: #FF0000">new Tikka T3 Sporter in .260 and 6.5x55</span>.

I have one in 6.5x55 on layaway. I'll be sure to post results when I finally get it up and running.

I'm a fan of Tikkas, but I have to admit that I had some of the same reservations that others have mentioned, elsewhere. I wasn't crazy about the looks of the stock at first and wasn't sure if I would like the fit of it, either. However, after my local shop put several of them on the floor and I got to handle them, I went from "meh", to "gotta have one". I think the stock grows on you and I actually kind of like it; orange and all. I had the chance to compare it, side by side, with a TRG and they feel almost identical.

I can't find the links to it, but a guy on the 'hide sprayed his stock flat black.

Damned if it didn't look near identical to a TRG.

I mean, they've got a good design that people like, and it works. So why not.

I have Tikka 695 Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation limited edition in .280 Rem.Bought it new in box and it I still haven't shot it due to medical issues.

Norcal Phoenix,

What metal coating did you use on your .270. Looks great.
Thanks, Paul.

I was told that the rifle would shoot the first three under a inch. I told the guy at the counter that I would hold him to that guarantee. Went home and whipped up a generic load. Shot a group in the .4s, second generic load, .4-5's. So far it shoots everything I feed it way under a inch. Super slick bolt, light, accurate, what's not to like?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolt fluter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Norcal Phoenix,

What metal coating did you use on your .270. Looks great.
Thanks, Paul.</div></div>

Cerakote in sniper grey, did the air cure so I would not see a variation between the action and scope. Put on a base of green cerakote and let the kids tear into it with sponges.

I got my Viper PST in (Thank you Scott at Liberty optics) and mounted on my Sporter this week so I headed to the range today. I don't have any pictures yet to show but I have to say that the T3 Sporter is extremely accurate and just a blast to shoot. I could shoot the 6.5x55 all day the recoil was extremely mild and even bucking a 15mph cross wind with strong intermittent gusts my friend and I were both able to put together groups under an inch and we had a few that were right around a half inch. Now that I have some fire formed brass to play with I will start getting some loads worked up to try out next weekend. I didn't mess with the stock adjustments very much so i'm sure I will benefit with better cheek weld and length of pull adjustments. The only weak point to the whole rifle is the plastic magazines, while they function flawlessly I'm concerned with long term durability, So as soon as CDI or another company comes up with a long action bottom metal set for the T3 I will get that swapped out. I went with the Sporter because it came with 90% of the features I wanted and I couldn't bring myself to donate my TRG-S action for a custom build. After today I would make the purchase again without hesitation both the Sporter and the Viper PST outperformed mu expectations and shooting ability.

Hope that helps,
Kelly

Let's hear and see some more on these, factory ammo reports, how is everything holding up, are you hunting it, hiking it in etc...

I had a master sporter, not having that stock is giving me withdrawals, I am contemplating a sporter in 260.

This thread is one year old. Must be more Sporters out there now and some more reports on how they are shooting, and if they are breaking down or not. I am waiting for delivery on a 260 Sporter that I will mount a 3.5-18x44 Swarovski on. Best way to mount scope? I haven't seen one yet and am not quite sure what they are leaving me to mount the scope on with other than the Optilock rings. I went with 260 as I have lots of brass and dies for it already.

I have a Sporter barreled action sitting in the safe, right now. I'll get back to you in 6 months or whenever Manners is finished with my stock....

I have a T3 Sporter in .260 Rem, shoots in the 0.3's with handloads. I used the Tikka Shooters 20moa rail, seemed to fit good after a little tweaking.

It's basically your standard Tikka varmint in a large laminated stock. They all shoot about as good as you can expect a factory gun to shoot, have great triggers, extractors, etc. The benifit of the Sporter is the ability to get it in a fast twist .264 cal barrel, the .260 Rem and 6.5x55. I am running the long mags and bolt release so I can get my 139's and 142's into the lands, cannot do that with the short mags.

Anyone have a 6.5x55 and handload...can you get the bullets into the lands with reasonable brearing surface left in the case neck?

I picked one up in march in 260 from euro optic. Used a steel tikka performance20 moa rail. It fit perfect and the recoil lug on it is nice to have on a flat receiver/rail fit. I also installed ss pillars to avoid any stock crush over time and allow repeatable torque to action screws. The stock is very nice for prone and positional shots. The freebore is a tad long, with 142smk@20 thou off the lands result in a oal from ogive of 2.305". That doesn't even come close to fitting in the short action mag or an ai mag. I used a LA bolt stop and 5 rd LA mags. Feeds excellent, not for sure of durability of mags compared to other factory mags, definitely fall short of AI mag durability .
The load i run is 44.5 h5350 in nosler brass, lit by br2 under142 smk. Gets me 2830 fps, es in hi teens, and sd in mid single digits. Lots of mid .3 groups, with no cold bore issues. In fact shot a nice dead on .398" group from a clean, cold bore3 days ago. Took it to 1104 yds yesterday and shot a 5 rd group on steel that measured 8.75". 5 mph fv, 33.5 moa up and 4.75 moa for wind, this was from a cold fouled barrel. Optics are viper hs 6-24 ffp xlr reticle. The stock is so comfortable that it seems u don't have to try to shoot good, yet it always does. It shot better at 1104 yds then my fn a3g, 155ncc@2830 might have been close to transonic.

Well that is good stuff to hear. I am picking it up at the range tomorrow, have some factory loads w/ 130 gr. Bergers to get it started, will do a short break in with it and see how it cleans up. That is a pretty fast load 6brshooter, and great shooting. Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to tomorrow.

When i did load work ups it liked 43.5 h4350 with those components, but it was slow, about 2730ish. Worked up to 44.5 gr in .2 gr increments, no pressure signs. Accuracy was good and showed 2780, about the same as my creedmoor with 42.0 gr and 2" more barrel. Only had about 40 rds down the barrel then. Now have a couple hundred, combined with the 80* weather and my drops were less than predicted, ran it across the chrony and it is 2830. Same lot of components.

Nice gun! Taking a little longer than I thought it would to start cleaning up quickly, but is nice to shoot and is shooting into an inch using factory ammo with all the cleaning interruptions! Tough to get any powder these days, I am waiting for some H4350 though... For now I will be testing with H4831 and RL15. I am very interested to see if I can get these 123 grain bullets to perform in a 260. With a .510 B.C. and 2900-3000 possible velocity, they seem like a nice package.

I bought an older T3 Tactical in .223 used that has a 26" barrel. It shoots laser beams and so have all of the other Tikkas I have ever had the chance to shoot so I would assume a Tikka Sporter would also. I am currently building a rifle and it is going to be built on a Howa stainless action. If I could have found a stainless Tikka with a heavy barrel in either .260, 6.5 swede, or 30-06 for the price I paid for the Howa I would have bought it in a heartbeat.