• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka stock queation

smokinbobf4

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
So I am looking at doing a budget rifle setup and am thinking about getting the ctr 6.5 with a 24” barrel. I am thinking either mdt lss xl or bravo krg stock. I don’t mind the action and the trigger is not bad at all. Would like to go prc but they don’t make one. Thought about getting the creedmoor and changing it to prc once the barrel is shot out or I have more funds. Would this be a decent setup? Also what are the ctr stocks actually selling for as I could recoup some money for that. I have seen what people ask but not what they pay. Thanks

So I am looking at doing a budget rifle setup and am thinking about getting the ctr 6.5 with a 24” barrel. I am thinking either mdt lss xl or bravo krg stock. I don’t mind the action and the trigger is not bad at all. Would like to go prc but they don’t make one. Thought about getting the creedmoor and changing it to prc once the barrel is shot out or I have more funds. Would this be a decent setup? Also what are the ctr stocks actually selling for as I could recoup some money for that. I have seen what people ask but not what they pay. Thanks
PRC is mag bolt face

I think takeoff barrel/stock/bottom metal goes mid $100 range but not the easiest to do

You might try the original stock first. I have a Tikka Varmint model that shoots really well with the original stock.

Reactions: 260284
Looks like I wouldn’t recoup much money out of that. Maybe I need to go a different route. Also I really like an adjustable cheek rest. I have to be really high and am not fond of the after market products. I also got the prc mixed with my other idea of turning my 270wsm into the prc. Having trouble keeping it all straight

The CTR is available with an adjustable cheek piece.
Personally, I don't care for the look of Tikka stocks - but that is cosmetics.

The CTR is available with an adjustable cheek piece.
Personally, I don't care for the look of Tikka stocks - but that is cosmetics.
I've never seen one from the factory with an adjustable cheek piece.
Is it something new or a special order ?

Reactions: 260284
I've never seen one from the factory with an adjustable cheek piece.
Is it something new or a special order ?
Looks like one of the factory variants to me. Stores in my corner of the world advertise T3x CTR and CTR Adjustable, and the Adjustable is the one with adjustable cheek piece. Also, the Tikka spec sheet on the Tikka factory website lists a few dozen different ones: combinations of barrel length, caliber, adjustable cheek piece or not, etc.

Not sure what has been imported to USA. It could be that it is now assumed that people will put a different stock on, so the cheaper non-adjustable ones sell better???

I've got a German Gunstock Raptor I would sell cheap. I messed up on installing flush cups but if you wanted to fix that or just use the sling swivels, you would be fine.
20170317_182653.jpg

Reactions: lou400a
Looks like one of the factory variants to me. Stores in my corner of the world advertise T3x CTR and CTR Adjustable, and the Adjustable is the one with adjustable cheek piece. Also, the Tikka spec sheet on the Tikka factory website lists a few dozen different ones: combinations of barrel length, caliber, adjustable cheek piece or not, etc.

Not sure what has been imported to USA. It could be that it is now assumed that people will put a different stock on, so the cheaper non-adjustable ones sell better???
Thanks
I found a picture of one and looks to be over the pond for now.
180320155652002-4[1].jpg

I have thought about getting the big horn origin, and just don’t know if I can swing it. Not even sure I can swing the tikka deal right now. If I get the ctr I plan to keep the barrel for awhile and depending on performance, I would swap it out when needed down the road. So I would be keeping the action, barrel, and trigger. Honestly I am not a huge fan of the look of it the ctr either as well as I like adjustability and more of a vertical grip. I was unaware that you could get a ctr with adjustable cheek piece though.

Reactions: Afkirby
I have thought about getting the big horn origin, and just don’t know if I can swing it. Not even sure I can swing the tikka deal right now. If I get the ctr I plan to keep the barrel for awhile and depending on performance, I would swap it out when needed down the road. So I would be keeping the action, barrel, and trigger. Honestly I am not a huge fan of the look of it the ctr either as well as I like adjustability and more of a vertical grip. I was unaware that you could get a ctr with adjustable cheek piece though.

I think the CTR with the adjustable cheekpiece may be a Europe only model, the only Tikka I’ve seen in the US with that stock is the T3 Tactical which is more money than the CTR. Your best bet to get an adjustable cheekrest with the CTR would probably be one of the DIY kydex ones, or maybe a triad stock pack.

Another question, being my first chassis, would the tax a1 be a better option, or build my own off of the ctr. Seems like it will be a similar price

Ps, the German gunstock of mine has actually sold.

Reactions: Estes640
If you are looking for a budget rifle in a somewhat new non-factory caliber with a high quality adjustable stock, you are going to be quite disappointed.

I'm confused as to why you would need the adjustable stock as well... a 50mm bell scope with low .82" rings still has about an 1/8 of an inch or so clearance on the CTR barrel.

I think for now it will just be a factory caliberand probably in 6.5 creedmoor. I was thinking why do I need another one, as I have one already, but it is a lot cheaper to shoot so I think I will stay with that. Also, I have an extremely high check bone or something, because to get into a comfortable position and really be able to rest my head on the stock, it needs to be really high.

The Tikka is a great option, however it seems you are unsure if you want to spend the money. So here's some figures: I bought a T3X CTR 24" 6.5 Creed a while back from Whittaker Guns for ~$820 (Approximately). Then sold off the stock/bottom metal/magazine on Ebay for ~$140. I decided to drop the barreled action into a MPA BA Chassis ~$900. Which brought the total to ~$1,580 roughly. Ended up being similar in price to a TAC A1, so if you're truly considering the TAC A1 you really should consider all of the chassis/stock options and see what would do the best job for your intended purpose.

The rifle was great and I enjoyed shooting it, no complaints what so ever. BUT at that point/price I wouldn't consider it a budget option based on your original post.

Now if you wanted a more value option and are not dead set on a Tikka, I would recommend looking into a Howa 1500 barreled action from Brownell's and putting it in a less expensive chassis/stock option. A 24" threaded heavy-barreled short-action 6.5 Creedmoor Howa 1500 can be had for around $400 during holiday sales and with a decent coupon code (like 10% off for example). Add another ~$400 for a KRG Bravo chassis, or MDT's new Oryx chassis and you have about the same feature set and performance for around ~$800 (without base and rings). These are all just rough numbers to help illustrate a point.

Making a list of your needs vs wants and setting an actual budget amount will aid in your decision.

I think my goal is finished, without scope, to be in the $1500-2000 range. That said I am torn because there are so many options. I like the tikka action and barrels seem to be good, but part of me thinks if I buy a ctr, I am close to buying a, let’s say, big horn origin or similar custom action and getting it barreled. Is the extra cost worth it? I’m not sure. I have been a hunter all my life and am rapidly starting to get into more of the shooting part. Everything I have is fairly light weight for hunting and would really like a more tactical, adjustable, and heavy gun to do more for precision. As far as I know there are no matches anywhere near me, as I think that would be fun, so I wouldn’t be competing, but I do want a high quality weapon. Sorry for the long message, I think I am overthinking it. I do appreciate all the input so far!

The xtra cost gets you a lot more options down the road for triggers and chassis/stock

Plus a few more features on the action itself

The difference is $1500 to $2000. That's CTR in a Bravo, to Origin in a Bravo, but you dont have to dump factory CTR stock or mags either

Thank you. That is almost what I am thinking. I would have no problem running the tikka, but clones of the 700 would be nice because of all of the aftermarket parts. However tikka is gaining popularity in that, and I don’t mind the trigger. I have looked at the classifieds here and there are a lot more and better deals for anything 700

I have a CTR 6.5 CM with the 24" barrel. Debated back and forth on a number of stock options. Tried out a KRG that a buddy owns and wasn't that crazy about it. Really like the CTR stock mag setup, but KRG doesn't support the CTR mag system. Ended up going with a Manners T4a brand new, cut for the CTR mag system. Cost me the same as a KRG plus AICS mag, and the ergonomics are way, way better, paint job is better, build quality is better. I can't fathom why I was ever on the fence about it.

CTR plus Manners T4A is far and away the best value IMHO, but everyone has their own tastes and that might not be yours.

I was kind of in the same situation. I ended up ordering a tikka varmint in 6.5 from buds for 721 before shipping. I plan to put it in a KRG bravo which doesn't have the ctr mag option, so I didn't see the point in getting the ctr. The varmint doesn't have a threaded barrel or rail but those really didn't matter to me either. I put on a 20moa nightforce rail and will upgrade the barrel when this one is done.

Shots 2,3,4 out of the barrel went 5/8". Pretty happy with it.

I have a CTR 6.5 CM with the 24" barrel. Debated back and forth on a number of stock options. Tried out a KRG that a buddy owns and wasn't that crazy about it. Really like the CTR stock mag setup, but KRG doesn't support the CTR mag system. Ended up going with a Manners T4a brand new, cut for the CTR mag system. Cost me the same as a KRG plus AICS mag, and the ergonomics are way, way better, paint job is better, build quality is better. I can't fathom why I was ever on the fence about it.

CTR plus Manners T4A is far and away the best value IMHO, but everyone has their own tastes and that might not be yours.

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you have to pay for the t4a I keyed for the ctr?

I was kind of in the same situation. I ended up ordering a tikka varmint in 6.5 from buds for 721 before shipping. I plan to put it in a KRG bravo which doesn't have the ctr mag option, so I didn't see the point in getting the ctr. The varmint doesn't have a threaded barrel or rail but those really didn't matter to me either. I put on a 20moa nightforce rail and will upgrade the barrel when this one is done.

Shots 2,3,4 out of the barrel went 5/8". Pretty happy with it.

Are the barrel profiles the same on the ctr and varmint. I believe they are but can’t find much on it. Also how do those barrels hold up in long strings? Thanks

Are the barrel profiles the same on the ctr and varmint. I believe they are but can’t find much on it. Also how do those barrels hold up in long strings? Thanks
The varmint is heavier. I have no experience with the tikka varmint but 10rd strings with the ctr are no problem. If there is a miss. Its your fault.

Varmint profile is heavier. Not a huge difference in long strings. Varmint may get 1-2 more shots, but that's about it. CTR is just about the perfect barrel profile IMHO. I get 8-10 shots, and then it cools fairly quickly unless it's 100+ degrees out. My 223 Varmint barrel took forever to cool.