• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tikka T-3 CTR & X-ray chassis?

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
Staff member
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    Can anyone confirm that the Tikka T-3 CTR will drop into an X-Ray chassis?

Not a confirmation, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't.

You would however still need to get AICS magazines for it instead of the supposed TRG magazine that comes supplied with the CTR.
    Personally, I would pick another Tikka if I was planing to upgrade to a chassis.

I would prefer to, but there aren't that many options here in the US to choose from that wouldn't require a re-barrel job. As for the chassis, that's why I would change it from the factory stock (the magazines). At $225 dollars a pop for a magazine, like the TRG's, you bet I'd swap out the stock for something that uses AICS mags.

Sorry, but I can see how they can justify that much for a magazine...buy two magazines and I'm almost into a chassis system.

Last edited:
    Its more expensive, but the Tikka Sporter in .260 and .308is an option as well. I have a .260 with a 24" barrel and its in an X-ray chassis. Works geeat.

You can find TRG 308 mags for "only" $180 if you Google a little bit.

Buy a new CTR, sell the TRG mag here on the hide, get a X-Ray chassis...you've now got a pretty good rifle system for $1400ish.

I have 2 T3 CTRs and have shot both barreled actions in my xray chassis. They do drop in.

So it should be safe to assume that it would drop into a W3 then, ya?
    By the way, I have a CTR on order and still haven't heard anything about them being available in the states. It's rumored to be here the end of July. Which is now. How did you guys get them already? (Can you tell I'm anxious?)

Last edited:
    As far as I know they will drop into a W3. The two ctr's I have are older. I'm not entirely sure how old since I bought both of them used.

Oh ok I gotcha. I know they changed the mag release from the older ones but other than that I don't see anything different about it so I'm assuming it will. I'm still undecided between the KRG and the Roedale chassis...

how much does your rig weigh in the x-ray?

I havent weighe it, but it feels lighter than the factory stock, so I am guessing 10 lbs max (excluding scope, rails, bipod, etc). I almost feel like its too light, and I might shoot better with a slightly heavier rig.

seems a bit pointless to buy a CTR and put in a KRG since the TRG mag system is a major drawcard, better off getting just a normal varmint or something ?

Tikka T-3 CTR & X-ray chassis?

The "normal varmint" isn't available in the USA in 260 or 308 (at least as far as I can see) or come with a 20" threaded barrel.

Besides, one can always sell the TRG mag and put that $150 or so into an AICS-compatible chassis.

Last edited:
    I have a Tikka T3 in .260Rem that is in an Whiskey 3 chassis. I can put my TRG22 trigger group in the T3 which is awesome.
    I have put the Whiskey 3 chassis butt on the TRG to shoot cheaper .308WIN for training. I use the TRG factory forend on the TRG with AI magazines but they are a bit floppy side to side. I am considering tapping the TRG chassis metal for the Whiskey 3 fore-end and get rid of the side to side AI magazine slop. But I can't use the TRG magazines on the T3 so need to train like for like.
    I would use the TRG magazines but don't want to swap to the shorter TRG KRG magazine release (which I own).
    The TRG factory magazines are double stack and fantastic, if I could use them in the T3 I would. They also accept longer OAL handloads (10 thou off the lands). I am currently having the front of the AI magazine removed and spot weld holes filled in for use on the long OAL 308WIN ammo in TRG.

I went with the CTR because it's going to be a while before I get the chassis. I wanted the picatinny rail and 10-round mag in the meantime.

......... I am currently having the front of the AI magazine removed and spot weld holes filled in for use on the long OAL 308WIN ammo in TRG.

The plate can be burned from the inside, at the 'spots' , just to the finish on the interior wall of the mag body. EDM.

Does anyone know if the new T3 CTRs in the W3 or X-ray chassis would take AW magazines or TRG magazines? The AICS mags are nice, and far cheaper than the TRG magazine, but having double stack 10rd magazines would be nice too. The regular T3 doesn't allow AW magazines because of the shape of the action, but I am wondering if the new CTRs might make it work.

It is highly unlikely that the new CTR will take AW mags. By all accounts it comes with a TRG mag which fits into the standard T3's just fine so I doubt they modified the action at all.

As far as we know the CTR will drop into our chassis and in fact a Beretta rep picked up a couple chassis just for that purpose. Thanks guys,
    Justin

So I could use TRG magazines with my T3 in X-ray chassis? I tried the TRG mags when the T3 was in the orignal Sporter stock and they didnt fit. Of course that could have been the stock and not the action. Never thought to try them again after I switched to the X-ray chassis.

I have a CTR on order, so whenI get it I'll test the TRG mag with my old setup. I might even keep the mag of it works in an X-ray chassis.

The TRG mag will not work in any of our chassis. This is because it is a different shape than the AICS mag. The AICS is tapered toward the front whereas the TRG mag is not, it's a rectangle (when looking from the top).
    Justin

The TRG mag will not work in any of our chassis. This is because it is a different shape than the AICS mag. The AICS is tapered toward the front whereas the TRG mag is not, it's a rectangle (when looking from the top).
    Justin

C'est la vie. I will be selling a TRG mag in a couple of months then.

Shamir