• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 .223 load data? Any suggestions?

SJshooter

BTM FDR
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
Maryland
picasaweb.google.com
Hi guys. I have a Tikka T3 lite in .223. (stock barrel 1 in 8 twist). I recently loaded 55gr Nosler Spitzers with 24.0 gr of Hogdons H335. The best group I got was from 23.7 gr @ 2.350 OAL. I tried shorter, but it seemed to not like them.

I was wondering what you guys use with barrels of similar specs. The data doesn't have to use only nosler bullets and hogdon powder. I'm just curious about what recipes work best for you.

Thanks

Re: Tikka T3 .223 load data? Any suggestions?

Barrels are somewhat like fingerprints. I can't tell you what you need to load for your rifle, Tikka or other wise. You will just have to do some rang work and see for your self.
My T3 in 223 didn't like anything because the damn magazine was SAAMI spec length and the throat was a mile away from the bullet unless you loaded long and single fed. That is a PITA with the poly mag. I fixed my issues by sending the gun to CDI Precision for his DBM and now feed from AICS mags. They allow the use of heavy (75-80) grain bullets seated out closer to the lands. I will say the best groups have come from RL15 and 69 SMK but I won't pass out the powder charge weight.

Thanks shoot4fun. Yea, I know about the stupid magazine. I loaded some 55gr Nosler Spitzers at varying lengths. It liked the load best with 23.7 gr (starting low) of H335 @ 2.350. I'm going to shoot the other lengths and see if I get better accuracy. If not I will play around with lengths near 2.350 to see if groups improve or not.

I just shot some Nosler 50gr spitzers. 5 @ 2.340, 5 @ 2.330, and 5 @ 2.320. The best group came from the five loaded to 2.340 COAL.

I'm guessing I should go closer to the rifling?

Did you read the part in my previous post about RL15 and 69 SMK?
That load shot well at max mag length. Again, don't expect one hole accuracy until you can approach the lands.

Yes I read it. I haven't reloaded any more, I had already loaded them prior to posting my question on here. I just got the chance to shoot them the other night though.

I dont have RL15 or 69smk's at the moment, but when I get a chance I will experiment with those. Thanks for the info.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or loads that worked especially well for their T-3's

Face it, you aren't getting much love from the masses here. You will just have to do as I am, buy various components and experiment.

Not much love is an understatement. If it was a Remmy there would be 50+ posts already.

I figured that the next time I buy bullets I will give some Hornady's and Nosler's a go.

The only powder I have to experiment with for right now is H335, some other Hodgdon and IMR.

My Tikka .223 loves 55g Blitzkings over H335 at 2.25" It shoots between .11 and .2 all day long.

I tried loading closer to the lands but saw no improvement.

For more distance, I use 80g Bergers loaded .02 off the lands and see the same level of accuracy with H4895.

A-Maxs (both 75 and 80) never worked no matter how hard I tried.

To get the longer loads to feed, I dremeled out enough room to replace the follower with my wsm follower. Works like a charm once I smoothed out the interior of the mag.

Ultimately, I am replacing the stock with either a Manners or XLR Evolution and will use the AICS .223 mags.

Hope this helps

My Tikka T3 Varmint .223 shot REALLY well with 24.0 AA2520 and the 75 grain Hornady A-max. Was using BHA brass and Winchester WSR.

It's the wife's rifle now, and she has hammered some groups at 600 that I would have been proud of. We dropped it in a Manners stock and added the CDI bottom metal so that we're no longer stuck with the factory mags.

Cheers... Jim

Hey! Thanks Tikka-J. I will have to try those loads. I was going to by some Amaxs, but now I think I'm gonna save the money and bergers instead.

I shot the last of my load development loads, which shot surprisingly well. The 15 I shot yesterday were 50gr Nosler Spitzers loaded with 24.0gr H335 to 2.280, 2.270 2.295.

I'm not worried about load length b/c I actually ordered the XLR chassis, which should be here within the next 3-4 weeks.

Vit n130 has worked pretty well for me with the lighter bullets, 40 to 55 grain. Worked well in the ar also.

Just got in from the range with my T3 Tac in 223. I have to say I finally hit pay dirt. I shot some 80 Nosler, 75 Amax and 77 SMK today. The Noslers shot pretty well and so did the Amax but the 77 SMK will be my load from now on. I was shooting 3 shot groups from a bipod, as pressed for time and had several small lots of test ammo loaded. The load is 23.2 IMR 8208XBR with Remington 7 1/2 primer in Lapua brass. Bullets were .0010 off the lands. Three shots @ 100 came in at .150" w/o suppressor. With suppressor it opened up to .3" for same, as first shot was not consistent. At 300 yards suppressed group was 1.6" and at 520 yards it was approximately 4" (shot on steel). I was up 12 MOA from my 100 yard zero at the 520 yard target. I'm in the standard stock but it has CDI dbm and I use AI mags.
BTW, you will really like the XLR chassis. I've thought about one myself.

Just Jim,

I haven't tried that combo with the 75 A-Max yet. When I purchased them I had great expectations. If I kept the velocity down, they would shoot well, .3", but 70 and 80 Berger VLDs and 69-80 Matchkings shot fast and more accurately with H4895.

The A-Maxs don't perform bad. They just didn't like being pushed in my gun with that powder. I'll have to pick up some 2520 and try again.

Thanks for the input!

I found that Varget and 69 SMKs work pretty well. Shot my best group so far the other week load testing... .470 inches.

I also have some 75 A-MAX on order that I will be able to seat out pretty far because I'm using DBM and AICS Mags. Hoping to turn those into a hammer combo.

When I get a chance (soon) I will post my load on here and see what you guys think. I'm interested to find out how much more powder can be put in the case before I see pressure signs.

40 grain V-max
ADI brass
24 grains of ADI 2207H, 24.5 grain with winchester brass
OAL 2.225
CCI primer

this is a hot load, can go hotter for me but i was happy with 3500 fps on the chrony and gave my 7 shots 11mm group at 100 meters and no pressure signs. this was for a friends rifle so i did not want to give him a super hot load

TikTac, 20" barrel
77 SMK,
23g IMR 8208xbr,
LC brass,
COAL 2.250
205M primers
Very small holes.
Power Pro 2000MR comes next.

My T3 tac .223 didn't like a darn thing I tried. Crappy groups with everything from 55gr FMJ to 80gr single fed SMKs with about 5 different powders. Got fed up and did what shoot4fun did, but I was so fed up I also had a new stock and a broughton barrel put on at the same time.

I don't know if just the new bottom metal allowing me to reach the lands would have fixed my ~1moa gun, but I do know it shoots MUCH better now and absolutely loves 77SMKs over 23.4 gr Varget. With a .29" 5 shot group at 100 I think the money spent was well worth it.

Hope that helps,
madd0c

OK, here is the load that worked best in my factory barreled Tikka T3 (Note: I just threw together this load. OAL may be tuned to better, but I haven't had a chance to try longer.)

69gr SMK
Varget: 25.8gr
2.350 OAL

When I measured the 5 shot group using OnTarget, it came out .470 CTC. It looks larger bc of a tear in the paper.

I have no idea how hot this is, but I know there were no pressure signs. Does anyone know how close I am getting to pushing this to max?

08-28-2011%25252009%25253B12%25253B54PM.JPG

Keep increasing by .2G until your bolt gets sticky, but that looks pretty darn good where your at. My LTR likes 24gr Varget and 69grSMKs, never pushed it any harder after getting many one hole, 5 shot groups at 100yrds. Only seeing 2740fps avg, but thats why I have target turrets, just dial it up!

The best I've managed to get out of my Tikka T3 lite stainless 8" twist is .576 I used Hornady 75gr BTHP; New Win brass; N540 (23.3); & 2.250 COL. But my load just below and above this were 1.4+ and 1.1+ respectively, so I'm not sure if I wasn't doing my part that day.

Also, I tried Sierra's 69gr at N540 (26.6) and 2.260 COL and that resulted in .746 But again, both the lower load and right above did not produce MOA.

So I'm not confident with these yet.

I feel much more confident when I see a trend develop according in accordance with the test ladders.

(edited to contribute stats)

SJ,
Looking good!
I think I read that you went to the AICS mags.
That makes all the difference IMHO.
Keep shooting the 223. THey are fun as Hell!

Thanks shoot4fun! Yep, went to AICS mags and I also have my Tikka in a XLR chassis. I'm lovin it. Just bought some 75 A-Maxs to try out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was the OAL when u were shooting the 24 grs Varget? </div></div>
2.260"

Tried Varget and AA2520 this past weekend with 75 A-MAXs. Shot great all loads from 22-25 grs of both. Will post targets later.
My OAL for the 75 AMAX was 2.460 though. Does that seem excessively long to anyone or just me?

Has anyone had luck loading 60gr nosler Spitzers for .223? I've thrown some loads together with AA2520, Varget, and H335, and everything besides the lowest charge of Varget shoots worse than surplus ammo! I'm disgusted. They were expensive, but instead of using them to hunt this year, I just used 75gr AMAX to the head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone had luck loading 60gr nosler Spitzers for .223? I've thrown some loads together with AA2520, Varget, and H335, and everything besides the lowest charge of Varget shoots worse than surplus ammo! I'm disgusted. They were expensive, but instead of using them to hunt this year, I just used 75gr AMAX to the head. </div></div>

No, but a 60 grn V-max has been my go to load for years

Varget or H4895 both work well

standard tikka t3 in .223 1 in 8 twist im using 65gr sierra gamekings with 25.5gr of adi 2206h for fallow deer. And for
rabbits and hares 50gr vmaxs with 26gr of the same powder.

I seat my bullets for the standard 3 shot tikka mag and both these loads shoot sub moa out to 200 yards.

55gr blitz kings also have proved very accurate with 25.3 gr of the same powder.

In my Tikka T3 Varmint I compared the following 77SMK loads with OAL 2.260" (mag length, 0.090" jump to the lands). All consistently had vertical spread less than .5MOA with a slight edge to 8208 XBR (.4MOA average vertical for 5 5-shot groups at 200 yards)
8208 XBR 23.2 gr
Varget 24.0 gr
TAC 24.0 gr

The 77SMK is a tangent ogive bullet and it seems to jump well.