• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 308 Value?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I found a Tikka T3 Tactical in 308 with muzzle brake, Harris bipod, Ernie's trigger spring, and Manners T4 stock. 1000 rounds. Good condition, supposedly. What would be a good price for this rifle? Been looking for a 308 bolt action like this and thought this could be good.

- Phil

Re: Tikka T3 308 Value?

I said I was interested (to the seller), but not being familiar with these, wanted to know what was a good price. Also helps he and I are in the same area. No shipping.

- Phil

Seller says he is the original owner and condition is good+, with some superficial marks expected from shooting F T/R and silhouette. Says he did the skim bedding and the spring swap on the trigger.

- Phil

$800 is a very good price. If you are considering it, get it. I even thought about buying it since he is close to me. I had to convince myself that I can't afford another rifle right now since I just wrote a check for first and last month's rent at a new place.

That is a screaming deal. If you want a tikka, jump on it.

I guess I do not know how to play the purchase game correctly, or am to gentlemanly. The Tikka is sold, but not to me. I expressed interest in it, stating I wanted to look at and "probably buy it". This was 14 minutes before anyone responded to the original For Sale post, which read "I'll take it".

It appears to me that expressing interest in a rifle and wanting to inspect prior to buying will always take second place to someone who chimes in later and says "I'll take it". If that is the way the game is played, OK. I'll just have to live with that, only buying used from those who I can really trust, or buy new.

Personally, I have the seen "I'll take it" approach abused. Someone says that to secure their position in line, but all the while knowing they can easily back out and just change their mind. Call me old fashioned, but if you say "I'll take it", then you should mean it! Do we believe anyone who says "I'll take it" sight unseen when buying a car? Maybe rifles are different, but these are a fair amount of money and I want to see it. I recognize that is not often possible given distances, and do have to trust others on purchases. But, this seller is right in my area and made that clear to the seller. I also stated I wanted to meet at the seller's convenience and "probably buy". I guess I needed to not say "probably buy" and instead say "I'll take it". But that would not have been entirely truthful because there may have been something wrong that would halt the purchase. Maybe I need to interpret "I'll take it" as meaning, "I'll take it...(assuming it passes my inspection). I hate telling someone I'll buy something then when a deal is imminent, say "NO".

I am disappointed of course in missing out on this rifle, but lesson learned and will play the game better next time.

- Phil

I feel for you bro, been there done that;however, given a new tac tikka is $1440 you need to jump on a deal like that, with the bipod and stock, the gun could have gone for $1200, easy. I was fighting with myself not to say I'll take it just to sell it for more $ later. That is why I said the 800 is GTG!! Know what you want and what it is worth!! Better luck on the next one. "I take it" is per the rules.

Diego

"Look" and "probably buy" is a sign of a flaky buyer. An "I'll take it" expresses the full intent to buy unless there is something wrong with the item or something wasn't disclosed.

$800 for a tactical barreled action in a Manners T4 stock and Harris BR bipod is a deal, $1,200 not so much. A lot of the mark up on the tactical is the stock, which is not justifiable. A varmint barreled action in the Manners stock and Harris bipod would still be a deal for $800.

Hi Guys,
I'm the seller. I sold it to the party who said "take it" at 8:47pm, not the one who "probably buy" at 9:02pm. Sorry for any hurt feelings but that is just the way I deal on that site.

Best Regards,
Andrew

I have to agree with the seller.

edit: Also, if an item is posted for sale on a forum, it is possible that the seller may receive a private message from a buyer committing to purchase the item before someone posts that they will take it on the forum.

Andrew,

As I said in my PM just a few minutes ago, no hard feelings. I was not aware of the 8:47 pm interested party until this evening. As I stated, lesson learned for me. Ironically, I am anything but a flaky buyer, but understand how "probably buy" could be perceived as such.

As I mentioned, you have had some neat stuff for sale before. Given that you are in my area, I hope to apply my learned lesson and do business with you in the future...the accepted way ("I'll take it").

Thanks.

- Phil