• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Tikka T3 barrel/reciever threads

blue_ridge

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
Eastern NC
I am selling a Tikka T3 action and a couple barrels. One guy asked me if the the custom barrel I have would fit a Rem700. Rem700 is supposed to be threaded 1.0625x16. I'm having a hard time finding exactly what the Tikka's are threaded for, but have seem a couple of comments mentioning 1x16. Can anyone answer this question?

Re: Tikka T3 barrel/reciever threads

One is a Benchmark barrel chambered for 6.5x47. the other is the sporter barrel which is the original Tikka take-off 338 Federal barrel. So are the threads close enough to work on a Rem700 action. If not, is it much trouble to re-cut them? Thanks.

blue ridge
Is the benchmark barrel cut for a Tikke? If so what are you asking for it?

BlueRidge,

Do you know if the ID of a Rem 700 recoil lug is the OD of the threads?

We installed a Tubbs R700 lug on my 300WM T3, and had to put a shoulder on the threaded tenon to support the lug. I don't remember how much, but I want to say the tenon was .040-.060 OA dia. smaller than the ID of the lug.

Wish I had the cash right now... 6.5x47 or .260 Rem. was going to be my next build and it was definitely going to be another Tikka.

John

JROB, Your shoulder of 040-.060 would make sense if the Tikka is 1.0" and the Remington is 1.0625". I think I'll have to tell the guy who was asking the answer is probably "no" to using a Tikka threaded barrel on a Rem700. (unless someone knows otherwise) Thanks for the replies.