• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 CTR?

RMW said:
I wish the .260 had a little longer barrel than the 20" they are offering.

20" is perfect for the "multipurpose" role they have marketed the CTR for...and plenty to get 140s to 2700fps with a moderate charge of H4350.

A 26" version would probably sell like hotcakes, however.

Pretty interesting rifle. I have a Tikka Sporter in .308 with the 24" barrel. I love everything but the weight. Which is why this one is so interesting.

I'd like to pick up a Tikka in 260, however I'm worried about the barrel length as well. I've never owned a rifle in 260. Would the shorter length of the barrel basically negate the better performance of the 260 over the 308? I'm sure the 260 will still have a better BC, less elevation and windage adjustments, but is it enough to justify the inconveniences of the 260?

I really like the scout rifle concept, but on the surface it seems to be best suited to a 308, with the easy to find ammo which performs so well in short barreled rifles, which I guess is the conclusion that Cooper reached. Forgive me if this is a bit redundant, but I'd like to hear other's opinions on the 260 vs. 308 in this specific rifle.

I am looking forward to the arrival of these. I put a deposit down and got in line for a 308 at Euro optic and thinking hard on putting some more green down and getting the 260 also. I have had 1 Tikka in the past that i sold which was the varmint in 22-250. I am highly impressed with the rifles and their features and also think they are a super platform to rebarrel or build off down the road. I am wondering if the dbm on these are a new design? I know they take the expensive TRG mags. I also hope when the time comes to be able to drop this in a Manners stock. So......if Tom reads this i would be more than willing to send the rifle when it arrives to you so you could use it as a template for another 1 of your great stocks.

Looks like they opened it up to take TRG mags if my eyes are seeing right

Does the TRG have more room than the factory polymer or the AI mags? Also curious if the receiver was opened up.

Last edited:
Does the TRG have more room than the factory polymer or the AI mags? Also curious if the receiver was opened up.

TRG mags are double-stack. About the same size as an AW mag. I would bet the T3 receiver is opened up to accept the TRG style mag ... just like the difference between actions that take AICS vs AW mags.

The TRG mags are double stack but single feed like an AICS. The receiver on the T3 does not need to be opened up. The T3 actually has a bit larger magwell than the TRG so either AICS or TRG mags work fine in it.
Justin

My biggest issue with the Tikka's has been the long throats and short mags. If they want to give long throats, they should give mags that will fit those lenght cartridges. Maybe the'll get things right on these.

Interesting. I'm able to seat the 178amax&
180gr bullets 0.010" off the lands and still magazine feed in my 30-06. Maybe mines the exception?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I'm able to seat the 178amax&
180gr bullets 0.010" off the lands and still magazine feed in my 30-06. Maybe mines the exception?

My experience has been with the .223 with 1/8 twist and longer bullets like 75gr and up. The stock mags just weren't long enough to seat the longer bullets, I converted it over to CDI and am now using AICS .223 magazines and all is well.

I ordered a tikka CTR rifle in 260rem from eurooptics a week or so ago. I'm told it will arrive in July. The only drawback that I see in this rifle is the cheekrest. I was thinking about adding a cheek pad if it's needed, but I was also looking at this:

http://www.snipercentral.com/images/reviews/bradleyadj4.jpg

It may not work with the CTR stock due to the raised comb. Has anyone tried to remove that portion of the stock? I assume it's just laminated on.

The TRG mags are double stack but single feed like an AICS. The receiver on the T3 does not need to be opened up. The T3 actually has a bit larger magwell than the TRG so either AICS or TRG mags work fine in it.
Justin

Are you saying that the AICS mags will work in the new CTR rifles coming out should you want to buy some extra mags to have?

It may be possible. I was referring strictly to the interaction between the mag and the action body. However the AICS and TRG mags are similar in footprint. The AICS mags have a taper from the rear to the front which would tend to make them fit a bit loose in there, plus the mag catch height required for the two mags is slightly different. However, it just may be possible to use AICS mags in the CTR as is.
Justin

I ordered a tikka CTR rifle in 260rem from eurooptics a week or so ago. I'm told it will arrive in July. The only drawback that I see in this rifle is the cheekrest. I was thinking about adding a cheek pad if it's needed, but I was also looking at this:

http://www.snipercentral.com/images/reviews/bradleyadj4.jpg

It may not work with the CTR stock due to the raised comb. Has anyone tried to remove that portion of the stock? I assume it's just laminated on.

My older CTR Scout .223 had the raised cheek rest. It still was not high enough for my needs so I removed it and added on of Kyle's XLR adjustable cheek rests. To remove the raised comb was just a machine/wood screw (covered by a hole plug).

Last edited:
My older CTR Scout .223 had the raised cheek rest. It still was not high enough for my needs so I removed it and added on of Kyle's McCree adjustable cheek rests. To remove the raised comb was just a machine/wood screw (covered by a hole plug).

That's fantastic that I can remove it. I guess that also gives me the option to space it up to the appropriate level as well. Does the stock have a flat spot under the raised comb or is is just the normal contour?

This is the first NEW rifle I've ever purchased, and it's the first rifle I've ordered, so please forgive the over excitement. I've got the berger 140 hybrids and nosler 140 partitions for this rifle and the lapua brass...primers, powder, reloading supplies... I've analyzed the 260rem for this rifle and calculated quickloads internal ballistics and JBM external ballistics and static stability of an array of bullets and powders over a broad temperature range. I've read about the terminal ballistics of the 6.5mm. Now it's just the waiting for the rifle to arrive. All the bullets and brass arrived yesterday, and I set it all together in beautiful stacks on the counter. 1000 berger hybrids, 400 paritions, 300 lapua cases... Yeah, take THAT bank account!!! I've never seen 260 rem brass in person. I'm used to my 30-06, and next to that the 260 brass is just adorable! It makes me question if this is capable of hunting anything. I guess I'm just not used to the 6.5mm yet. I've surveyed the ballistics and so fourth, but seeing it in person makes me step back and say "really? 1350 yards? Better double check the math..." and "People shot moose with this?!?"

Last edited:
It's contoured just like what you see in front/behind the riser. You should be good to go, but you may need a longer screw if going to raise it up with a spacer.

It may be possible. I was referring strictly to the interaction between the mag and the action body. However the AICS and TRG mags are similar in footprint. The AICS mags have a taper from the rear to the front which would tend to make them fit a bit loose in there, plus the mag catch height required for the two mags is slightly different. However, it just may be possible to use AICS mags in the CTR as is.
Justin

If the aics mags will work in a ctr im gonna have to buy another tikka!!

20in 308 I know will be great.

Who thinks these can run a 260 140gn at a good pace from the 20in barrel?

Sharpshooter_87 said:
Who thinks these can run a 260 140gn at a good pace from the 20in barrel?

2700fps easy; 43.0 H4350 gets me 2715fps with 140gr HPBT from a 20" 1:8 McGowen.

We hunt red deer and moos hire with the 6.5x55 in denmark / north europe .The 6,5x55 has taken moor mose than any other cartrige will for a long long time.

The 6.5x55 is loaded with the lapua 155gr mega for the largest type animals. Its not fast but it works really great.

So you have an ideal cartrige for whitetail.

We hunt red deer and moos hire with the 6.5x55 in denmark / north europe .The 6,5x55 has taken moor mose than any other cartrige will for a long long time.

The 6.5x55 is loaded with the lapua 155gr mega for the largest type animals. Its not fast but it works really great.

So you have an ideal cartrige for whitetail.

Yeah, I've read that the 6.5x55 has taken a lot of large game. It's just a visual shock to go from hearing about it to holding it in your hand.

So is this for sure a go in the US now? If so, 20" will be ordered Monday.

Is the cheek piece adjustable like the Tactical model?

Is there any reason the CTR model won't be compatible with the KRG or XLR chassis systems for the Tikka T3? I assume it will work, am just asking to be sure.

I ordered one of these in .260 today from EuroOptic. They said they are supposed to be here next week.

Been really looking at the rifle for tactical comp/steel challenges but I worry about the 20" barrel length not giving enough velocity.
What you all think?

I ordered one of these in .260 today from EuroOptic. They said they are supposed to be here next week.

That is great news. I had ordered one in .308 and changed to .260. Got everything ready for her with reloading and optics, just waiting on the rifle.

Is there any reason the CTR model won't be compatible with the KRG or XLR chassis systems for the Tikka T3? I assume it will work, am just asking to be sure.

Compatible in that the barreled action will fit, won't be able to use the TRG magazine that the CTR bottom metal is made for. No big deal if you are OK with using AICS magazines instead of the expensive Sako mags. I plan on getting an Xray for mine, and maybe a TRG trigger since I prefer a two stage.

Been really looking at the rifle for tactical comp/steel challenges but I worry about the 20" barrel length not giving enough velocity.
What you all think?

See post #51 and #66.

Obviously the velocity will lag a longer barrel, putting one at a disadvantage to longer barreled 6.5s and definitely the uber-6mms. I'd want a longer barrel for a dedicated competition rifle, but if its going to be a multi-use rifle that will see hunting and the occasional competition, it'll do just fine IMO.

Hi, I'm pretty new to this site. I have been lurking around for while and I fine this site very informative.
I ordered a T3 CTR in 260 from euro optics a couple months ago. I emailed them last week and they are expecting to start shipping them out to customers in a couple weeks... Fingers crossed... Not that big of deal its taken a while to line up all the reloading components. To dang hot lately to do load development anyway. Hope to have it dialed by fall..
Thanks for the great forum.

Chris,

Thanks for the update (it saves me a phone call to EO). :) Who knows, the AI-AT may show up before the CTR after all...

The ship date has been pushed back once already. They were supposed to be here the 27th of last month. They are now showing 27th of this month.

Thanks, I kinda figured they would be later than originaly quoted. Beretta seems to do that, with shotguns anyway. I doubt this will be the last change..

Anyone have any idea what the barrel contour will be? Im guessing its probably like the varmint or the tactical model? Anyone have any dimensions for those they could share?

Thank You! I thought I read some where that it was using the trg 22 barrel some where. I was reading on the sako web site that for the trg 22 it has a heavy barrel . Has anyone actually got to see one of these yet?

Well look what just arrived. These rifles are sweet. I really like the position of the mag release, glad to see they used 5/8-24 threads, and I really like the TRG-esque bolt handle.

$948 shipped to your FFL. Give a call and either myself, Dustin, or Trey can get you squared away.

Last edited:
Well look what just arrived. These rifles are sweet. I really like the position of the mag release, glad to see they used 5/8-24 threads, and I really like the TRG-esque bolt handle.

$948 shipped to your FFL. Give a call and either myself, Dustin, or Trey can get you squared away.

Cool, 308 & 260 ?

How many did you get?Figures I canceled my order & they arrive.

Looks like the standard plastic knob, same on my Super Varmint tho i changed it as I think they are awful [emoji54]

Sendt fra min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk