• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 lite, Savage 10FCP, Remington 700 Varmint

Oham1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Ladies and gents I am in need of some help here. A friend of mine is looking at purchasing a .308 hunting rifle and he is looking to spend less than 700 on it. Dicks sporting goods has this 3 rifles on sale and to me they are all great rifles for what he wants it for. He will occasionally go to the shooting range but he will mainly hunt. What are your opinions about this three rifles? Thank You.

Re: Tikka T3 lite, Savage 10FCP, Remington 700 Varmint

I own all three of those brands (Tikka is an older model) and he won't go wrong with any of them. Quick opinion on each of mine:

Tikka: Pro: smoothest action out there, shoulders and points great, sweet trigger, sub moa accurate. Con: doesn't eject as strong as I would like. I never had a failure to eject--just weak.

Savage 10FP: Pro: accu trigger is nice, sub moa accurate. Con: action screws came loose once, looks like it has been made from budget parts

Remington 700 VSSF: Pro: great trigger, sub moa accurate, largest supply of aftermarket parts out there. Con: none

If I had to buy/own just one rifle to hunt with (out of the choices you list) it would likely be a remy 700. Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hog Rider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own all three of those brands (Tikka is an older model) and he won't go wrong with any of them. Quick opinion on each of mine:

Tikka: Pro: smoothest action out there, shoulders and points great, sweet trigger, sub moa accurate. Con: doesn't eject as strong as I would like. I never had a failure to eject--just weak.

Savage 10FP: Pro: accu trigger is nice, sub moa accurate. Con: action screws came loose once, looks like it has been made from budget parts

Remington 700 VSSF: Pro: great trigger, sub moa accurate, largest supply of aftermarket parts out there. Con: none

If I had to buy/own just one rifle to hunt with (out of the choices you list) it would likely be a remy 700. Hope this helps.

</div></div>
Are you claiming the factory untouched trigger in the remmy 700 is "Great"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hog Rider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own all three of those brands (Tikka is an older model) and he won't go wrong with any of them. Quick opinion on each of mine:

Savage 10FP: Pro: accu trigger is nice, sub moa accurate. <span style="color: #FF0000">Con: action screws came loose once, looks like it has been made from budget parts.</span>700 VSSF: Pro: great trigger, sub moa accurate, largest supply of aftermarket parts out there. Con: none

</div></div>
Nothing a that proper torque will not fix. My FCP McMillian did the same thing once, I torqued properly no issues since. I did not purchase mine at Dicks but just the same shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I own examples from all 3 manufacturers. Without question, for an out of the box rifle, I would purchase the Tikka. I quit buying Remingtons a while ago.

The box stock T3s are impressive to say the least in .308 and under calibers. In magnum calibers it seems that the plastic stocks have some issues. I have not seen a .308 class cartidge or under with an issue.

I have a couple of Tikkas. Tikkas and Sako TRGs seem to be a recipe for accuracy:

089.jpg

012-2.jpg

The Remington 700 at Dicks may be their ADL varmint rifle. This is an excellent rifle and one that I based my build on. However, it has a 26" Varmint contour barrel and may not be ideal as a hunting rifle due to weight.

Cant go wrong with the tikka for a dedicated hunting rifle IMHO

+1 on a Tikka.

Primarily hunting with occasional range? I don't see him enjoying the heft of the Savage.

If he is willing to wait and spend a little over $700, the Tikka Scout CTR perfectly fits his mold. I paid exactly $789 for mine, but they are hard to come by lately. It's under 8#, same 20" medium-heavy 1:11" barrel from the TRG (just not threaded). Mine averages 0.4" at 100 and just over 1" at 200 with handloads. The shorter barrel makes a difference in compactness.

After handling a Tikka the savage will feel cheap. The Tikka is infinitely smoother and the craftsmanship is much better.

So it comes down to the Tikka and Remington..

Tikka seems to be better out of the box. Remington will be slightly easier to upgrade.

Parker

From what you have told us, Tikka all the way. Great gun, light, shoots good.

I'm going to go a different direction from these other guys and say the savage, its got a lot of features, the accutrigger, probably the most accurate of the bunch, and has decent aftermarket support. If you could find a deal on a model 16 savage then it would be ideal for hunting, the 16 is the stainless model.

all good, tikka is guaranteed sub moa. remmy is fun to customize. savages are almost always shooters. hold all three and see which feels better. remmys and tikkas dont fit me so id go with savage

Strangedays

I didn't make that claim, I gave Oham a quick opinion on each of "my' rifles. Also, for his friends stated purpose of wanting a rifle for hunting (primarily), the stock 700 action/trigger is a great choice.

Hope this clears up my answer.

Just got my savage 10fcp in HS stock in .308. Feels great in that stock but other stocks that come on savages, I am not a big fan of.

Of the three, the Tikka will be the best value. They have the truest actions and guarantee sub-moa in the same price range. No contest here.

A Remington will be hit or miss, but probably the most fun to "upgrade" as options are endless. It doesn't sound like your friend wants to build up a custom rifle though.

I hear Savage owners say their guns shoot .25 MOA all day out of the box all the time. I have yet to see it.

I love my Tikka T3. My reasoning:
P1230033.jpg

P1230034.jpg

Making one holey hole is pretty common. Surprisingly, the pic with the last two shots were shots 29 and 30. It always holds its accuracy, even when the barrel is nice and warm.
I didn't do a "break in" either.

Tikka all the way I have a T3 Varmint and it's an amazing set up and accurate as can be.

i have several rem 700s, but after getting to put my hands on all of them at the shot show last week, the tikka's really impressed me. i will be making a tikka t3 lite my next rifle purchase.

I would have to go with most of the other members here and say that Tikka is the way to go. I own 3 of them and would never part with one of them the super Varmint is a tack driver.

Does anybody know the options for hi cap mags for Tikkas. I already have a .308 5 round, but the tolerances are so tight that the casing of the first round in the mag gets scratched by the mag lips. Maybe it will just take time for the spring to soften up.

Roedale Precision make bottom metal for AICS mags.

Roedale T3 AICS bottom metal.

396_1.JPG

Tikka T3 and 595 / 695 are awesome rifles, I love my T3 Battue.

P5220001lowres.jpg

Battue.jpg

There are two fluted barreled model for 2012, Hunter & Hunter Stainless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody know the options for hi cap mags for Tikkas. I already have a .308 5 round, but the tolerances are so tight that the casing of the first round in the mag gets scratched by the mag lips. Maybe it will just take time for the spring to soften up. </div></div>

400 grit sandpaper will solve that problem. Polish the sharp edge making the scratches. You can even bend the lips out a tad as well.

I'm surprised no one has come out with 10 round mags for Tikka's yet.

Steve, check my post above! Roedale makes bottom metal for T3's to AICS 5 & 10 round mags.

How do you bend the feed lips on a T3 mag? they are plastic!

Yeah, sorry I had AI mags stuck in my mind because he mentioned scratching of the case.

Montanakid, what was the case scratching on?

It would be nice if someone made 10 round mags or even a extension kit for the existing mags so people wouldn't have to go through the gunsmithing and cost of new AI type DBM systems.