• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 243 and bullet weight

shurt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana
I have a precision rifle in 243 and I've used it for competition shooting using the Tubb 115 gr dtac bullets. I recently started coyote hunting and want to stick with a 243 but I don't want to use my precision rifle. I planned on buying the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless but read in the forum the Tikka 243 doesn't shoot the 115 grain bullet because of the barrel twist. It was mentioned to not go over 100 grain bullet.

Can someone give me guidance on the Tikka and will it shoot my 243 rounds with the 115 gr dtac? It would be nice to use one round in both rifles.

Thanks in advance

I have owned a T3 in .243. They are 1:10 twist. Mine really liked 75gr Hornady hollow points for coyotes and 87gr Vmax for longer shots. Worked great out to 600 yards. Never tried anything heavier.

I appreciate the information. I just thought it would be nice to load one round and use it both rifles.

You could not go wrong with the Federal 85-gr. BTHP Gameking load in any .243.

Shooting competition loads in a 243 you will burn through barrels soon enough. Why not use one of the barrels you no longer use for competition and rebarrel / throat it for your hunting rifle. The're probably long enough to chop some of for a hunting rifle.

1:10 will work for regular bullets up to 100 grain and vld up to 90. Up that ten for every extra rev so a 1:9 will handle vlds and hybrid up yo 100 and 1:8 will do 110ish projectiles. My shooting buddy has a howa 1500 1:10. It will put 87 smks and bergers in a ragged whole without effort and shotgun 105. I'm talking 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards

When you rebarrel you match gun you could use a cheap donor action and simply cut your old barrel back and use it for a hunting rifle. I know you can get full Remington rifles for around 379 and with the take off's it makes it that much cheaper.

Last edited:
The really long bullets aren't going to work. The best three LR performers in a 10 twist 243 are the 87gr Vmax, 87gr Berger VLD, and the 95gr Berger Classic hunter.