• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tikka T3 Lite

rubar01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Luling, Louisiana
Is it possible to have a traditional recoil lug installed on
a T3 or would Ibe better off replacing the original one
with a stainless one. I am looking at changing out
the stock to either a Manners or McMillian.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Tikka T3 Lite

They work pretty darn good as is. I guess you could go stainless if you wanted to.

Regards, Paul.

My little 223 started to ding the alu recoil lug already after a few hundred rounds. I would certainly at least go stainless in anything larger than 223. I had several customers who ordered stocks from us with closed recoil lug openings as they changed to remmy style recoil lugs. Seems fairly common to convert.
edi

Not only can you... if you have anything over a .243, you probably should. The soft "recoil lug" allows the action to beat its way backward into the stock.

300WM. Holland lug:

IMG_6232email.jpg

.260 custom UGSW lug:

IMG_0402-1.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

John

Does anyone make a SS replacement lug that can be swapped out using the original stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s5traut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone make a SS replacement lug that can be swapped out using the original stock? </div></div>

IIRC, Massoud, here on the Hide sells them.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s5traut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone make a SS replacement lug that can be swapped out using the original stock? </div></div>

IIRC, Massoud, here on the Hide sells them.

John</div></div>

Thanks

I think you can get them from Manners as well they are made by KRG. Plus If you look into the KRG Whiskey3 chassis system one comes with the stock. I have a Tikka T3 Tactical in .308 20" and you couldn't pay me to mess with that barrel. That damn gun is very very accurate. When I get my Whiskey chassis then it will be replaced. Tikka/Sako put alot of thought into the stock that comes with the Tactical and its nice the way it is but it must have been a Friday when they designed the recoil lug. My point being I don't see a need for a Remmy style.

My Tikka T3 shot ok at best and decided it needed some work. I'm a lefty so finding a LH T3 stock was a bit of a challenge. Chad Dixon at LongRifles received my LH Tikka last week for a rebuild.

Here’s my build.
• Face off the small factory receiver recess and blue print the action
• Install/pin Remington heavy duty style recoil lug and contoured the lug to the outside of the receiver.
• Install a #3 24” Brux barrel chambered for .243 win
• Thread for a for suppressor Muzzle Cap 5/8” X 24 TPI
• Cerakote barreled action
• Pillar bed the action to the LH Hinderland laminated classic ultra light stock I provided.

I'm hoping to have this rifle back in Sept/Oct time frame. I've asked Chad to take pics of the build. I know there are a lot of Tikka owners who are looking for quality g-smiths to do work on their Tikka's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USW.260</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a Tikka T3 Tactical in .308 20" and you couldn't pay me to mess with that barrel. That damn gun is very very accurate. </div></div>

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but I keep hearing people start having problems with the lug after a few hundred magnum rounds. My T3 Lite shoots better than 3/4 moa on factory ammo, so I'm not eager to mess with it; but considering it's a 300WM, I know the lug will go fast. Perhaps I'll order one, but wait to put it on until the accuracy goes.

I recommend you also change the stock to a PSE.

Jeff, I really look forward to seeing how your build turns out. I am also in process of building a T3 tikka 243..brux barrel, manners stock.

Is Chad doing anything with the trigger?

He's going to tune it to nice crisp 2 pounds but I'm not replacing it. Also, I'm staying with the factory bottom metal, it it works great. I just can't see putting the CDI bottom metal on it. While an outstanding products I think it's way overkill for a lightweight hunting rifle.

Whose doing your work and are you going to use the Tikka factory recoil lug system or go with a Rem style recoil lug?

Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recommend you also change the stock to a PSE. </div></div>

I looked long and hard at the PSE stock as it looks like a great product and they we're making a left-handed version. I even swapped a few emails with them. However with the exchange rate on the dollar it was going to be close to $700 for the stock blank. Almost twice that of a McMillan or Manners.

Yea, I am leaving my trigger as is for now, Gonna go with the rem recoil lug as well. I plan to shoot the heck out of it so dont want any problems down the road. I opted for the cdi in my manners and they will set it up and have it inletted for me.

I am also going to have barrel threaded for a suppressor for later, still have to get my NFA trust...but soon.

I do have Chad building me something now...I am sure he hasnt started it yet cause no pics have been posted as of yet. Prob waiting on the dern MCM edge lefty stock which takes forever to come in.

also check your Pm