• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka t3 long action picture thread

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Seem a lot of buzz lately over tikka builds. I'm also planning one in 7mm rem mag.
I'd really like to see any pics of builds you guys did on long actions, and what you choose
For bottom metal. There are only two choices for long action but quite a few for short?
Which might push me towards a 7 WSM.. What do you guys think. Thanks for any help
Ideas, and pics...

Seem a lot of buzz lately over tikka builds. I'm also planning one in 7mm rem mag.
I'd really like to see any pics of builds you guys did on long actions, and what you choose
For bottom metal. There are only two choices for long action but quite a few for short?
Which might push me towards a 7 WSM.. What do you guys think. Thanks for any help
Ideas, and pics...

I'd definitely go for it no doubt
I recently did a long action conversion on my tikka t3 from 270 to 243, swapped the barrel for a 25" x 1 1/8" straight brux barrel and currently waiting on it to return from black t coating. The guy who did my work shoots benchrest comps for stiller actions and by choice shoots tikka. They are some of the most well-built truest factory actions you can buy including the "Coldhammer forged Sako precision barrel of high-grade stainless steel or Cr-Mo alloy. Free-floating in models with wooden stock. Thread-fastened rigidly to the receiver for safety and accuracy" that comes with it
the only problem is finding a smith to do the work for you....
but anyways whenever i get it which, should be within a week, ill post some pics on my finished piece

If I had a CNC I'd be making long action bottom metal for Tikka's.. The demand is there and only 2 company's world wide make them.. Don't get it......

There are only two choices for long action but quite a few for short?

All Tikka T3's are long action. They just use a different length bolt stop for the LA calibers vs the SA calibers.

Here's one of my .284's...

I've used the factory bottom "metal" on all my custom Tikka builds, as I don't see any reason to swap out. I've never had a problem.

There is only one Tikka T3 action length. Both the long action calibers and the short action calibers are built on the same action length.

exactly if you decide to go short get onto brownells and get a short action bolt stop it comes with a long action one too cost ya about 60 bucks

All Tikka T3's are long action. They just use a different length bolt stop for the LA calibers vs the SA calibers.

Here's one of my .284's...

I've used the factory bottom "metal" on all my custom Tikka builds, as I don't see any reason to swap out. I've never had a problem.

howd you land that sweet stock?! mcmillan?

Downlow that is one nice tikka. Why .284?? Why not 7mm mag? Is that a factory tikka bottom metal? How does it shoot? I had a .284 years ago. Built by Chris Mattews who ran into trouble. That thing would just stack bullets in the same hole.

If there is only one action length for them and its just a bolt stop issue. Then why wouldn't any DB metal work for the long action? Would seem bolt holes would be the same? Thought all the AI mags where the same just the 338 where bigger? I can't believe nobody has a long action tikka build?????

If there is only one action length for them and its just a bolt stop issue. Then why wouldn't any DB metal work for the long action? Would seem bolt holes would be the same? Thought all the AI mags where the same just the 338 where bigger? I can't believe nobody has a long action tikka build?????

Bubb-I have a 7Mag in the safe, too.

To answer your questions...all T3's use the same bottom "metal", and the same magazine. The mags are just extruded differently on the inside.

And this .284 IS a long action build. It is built on a standard T3 action, with a Long Action bolt stop, and a Long Action magazine. With the 180 VLD's I shoot, I have .100" extra room in the mag. Just one more beauty of the Tikka platform.

I have a T3 super varmint in 243 sitting in a Manners T4a, inletted for a short CDI dbm. Also have a long action DBM for it for when I shoot out the 243, I'll be getting the bolt face opened up and rebarrelled to 300wm. Had to open up the inletting slightly to support the longer dbm, but now i can swap between the sa and la dbm if i wanted. Just covered any rough looking dremel work with jb weld when i bedded it and installed pillars.

Did the same with the original stock as a bit of an exercise just to see if i could. Made a mess with the dremel at first, but once bedded, sanded and painted you don't notice it.

if i could get hold of a second bolt at a reasonable price i would set it up as a switch barrel.

Last edited:
If you had to do over which would you build again? That .284 is a hammer...

.284!

In fact, I did. Got barrel break-in done, and finished load development with 168 Hunting VLD's 2 weeks ago. It's a hammer too...

Kreigers on the .284's

A Kreiger and a Lilja on the 2- 7MM-08's

Clean every shot for 10.
Clean after 3, for 9
Clean after 5, for 10

Butches Bore Shine, followed by Barnes CR 10 after every 3'rd shot.

This last Lilja broke in at #19, the Kreiger at #30.