• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 RCS II review

sharac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Slovenia
Hi,

i've purchased RCS II from Roedale Precision a few days back and managed to shoot it today to test its functionality. I will add pictures later.

Stock is well built, and fits Viperskins perfectly. I won't go into detailed description of Viperskins just suffice it to say they are excellent 10/10. The core of the stock is aluminum block which has cutouts to accept Tikka's action (light "hill" where action screws come into action is mated to aluminum core), the fit it super tight and even without screws action will not rock, move in any other way than up (which is good
smile.gif
). The rear of the block is made in such a way to enable easy mod for folding version (as Pete said, he is planning to have this option somewhere in near future), the spacers and buttpad are screwed into this block. There is ability to add/remove spacers (there should be more available from Pete, stock comes with one wide and one narrower - 10mm and ~22mm respectively). Unfortunately buttpad is not side or height adjustable (or at least i haven't found a way
smile.gif
). LOP in default configuration with Tikka in .308 is 320mm measured from the trigger to the buttpad.
Cheek rest is side adjustable (~10mm) and height adjustable with two hex screws (would be nice to have quick adjust).
Everything mates up nicely no loose space, gaps worth mentioning. There are visible lines and some minor spacing so to those absolutely anal about perfection this might not be an option (but in that case i highly doubt any "tactical" stock will do).

How it shoots?
Perfectly recoil almost non existent (i have a brake on it and its very very mild as is) i've found it much easier to keep scope on target (proper position) as with factory stock, was able to actually "see" my shots hitting @100m (not all but most). Pistol grip changes everything much much better than thumbhole. Zero from factory stock changed in vertical only exactly .7mil higher.

Enough praise now to the minuses (or what i'd fix to give it a 10/10):

-fully adjustable buttpad (perhaps a screw solution instead of spacer system)
-drilled holes for action screws in Viperskins to access action screws without need to remove skins off the core(especially rear action screw is a bit awkward to drill)
-cheek rest positioned/shaped so it would allow for bolt removal without removing cheek rest first
-quick adjustable cheek rest
-a more solid contact with core block perhaps usage of action recess where factory recoil stop fits, but this is probably just me and my trust in big things as i really like things to be overbuilt (Pete assures me that this is non issue so this can be dropped into ignore category).

I would definitely recommend this stock unfortunately i do not have access to other Tikka custom stocks to compare with but having spent 750€ on it i must say that i'd do it again and if i were on the market for a new gun i'd take an used Tikka action or Howa system and buy this stock for it. So for us Europeans i believe this is the best option ATM for an upgrade of factory Tupperware wannabe called riflestock. I would give it 9/10 as all those minuses are really just cosmetics, a cherry on top which noone really cares about that much.

Pictures (more coming later):

3x 5shot groups (185scenar@2400fps -7°C with wind and snow and one very stiff trigger finger)
roedale_small.jpg

On her side:
TikkaRCS6.jpg

Her rear end:
TikkaRCS5.jpg

Bottoms up (notice the two holes i drilled - will have to smooth them up later):
TikkaRCS4.jpg

The fit:
TikkaRCS3.jpg

Pistol grip:
TikkaRCS2.jpg

Standing up:
TikkaRCS1.jpg

Re: Tikka T3 RCS II review

You had to drill the holes for the action screws...? Maybe I'm not understanding quite right, but that seems very odd.

Edited my post to make it clear. It's just that Viperskins cover action screws and you have to either take them completely off (6 screws...) or do as i did and drilled a hole in Viperskins to be able to reach actions screws directly (ok you still have to remove one viperskin screw to access front action screw but that sure beats removing all).

Its a subjective thing either you accept a hole in skins or you do a little more work taking action off.

Viperskins don't have holes for the action screws anymore since people usually put one action on an leave it. We found that the edges of the hole under the trigger guard could rub your knuckle raw with use so it works and looks best to leave them off. If you really want the holes, a couple minutes with a drills and you can put them in yourself.

Great report Sharac thanks!

MV

Sharac.

thanks for your review and your constructive comments. glad you like the product.
If i may i'd address your few negative points.

<span style="font-style: italic">fully adjustable buttpad (perhaps a screw solution instead of spacer system)</span> I honestly cant see a need for it on a military sniper rifle, but as most of these stocks will be used by civilians shooting tactical type matches, we intend to have an option of accessory full adjustable butt pad. In addition the rear part of the chassis can be removed and replaced with an accessory part that has an integrated buttspike, adjustable buttpad and flush cup capability.

<span style="font-style: italic">-drilled holes for action screws in Viperskins to access action screws without need to remove skins off the core(especially rear action screw is a bit awkward to drill)</span>
I fully agree with Michael on this, it is a better product with no holes for the reasons he mentioned, it also means we can use the skins on any of our chassis without having swiss cheese holed the plastic, anyone wanting holes in the plastic can easily make them.

<span style="font-style: italic">-cheek rest positioned/shaped so it would allow for bolt removal without removing cheek rest first</span> I'll look into that.

<span style="font-style: italic">-quick adjustable cheek rest,</span> will be another optional accessory

-<span style="font-style: italic">a more solid contact with core block perhaps usage of action recess where factory recoil stop fits, but this is probably just me and my trust in big things as i really like things to be overbuilt (Pete assures me that this is non issue so this can be dropped into ignore category).</span> if you measure the surface area of the factory recoil lug socket on the T3 and compare it to the surface area of the mating surfaces in the RCS II chassis that are now designated recoil force abutments, then you will see that you have an increase in surface area. so with the original RCS I chassis now in use at least 2 years we have had 0 issues with this at all. The chassis is made to be able to be bonded to the T3 action ( in the way we used to bond the L96A1 to the AI chassis ) this can be done if required, it isnt however nessecary. I have however noticed that a lot of US T3 owners are having Remington type recoil lugs fitted to thier T3's, I think that a socket for such a lug would be a nice addition to the next batch of chassis that we machine. the current ones can be simply machined in the same way one would machine an AICS for a fatter recoil lug on a remington.. put the chassis in a machine vice and mill some alloy out.,. 2 minute job.

all the best Pete

428209_3080619809027_1069742659_3169978_1110512244_n.jpg

for me this stock is the best platform for T3.

Vimpel I agree with you...
smile.gif

Remoah...i got a tracking notification from UPS yesterday,i expect the green lefthand sides are in that consignment.

Great to get feed back and see folk getting thier RCSII's. I'm very excited about these stocks.

Rgds Pete

I have bieng reading about this stocks and Geoff assured me by telefone they model I want is on shelf. So i ordered one today in black for my t3varmint.260 stainless lefthand in. I am happy to recieve it soon. Geoff say that the stocks will be in test report by German weapons magazine next month issue,maybe nice to read.
v.g.elixF

Waiting on the Long action variants to come out. These look pretty nice and the price is great.

Me too Me too! Waiting on customs to release it to the U.S.
laugh.gif

yeah, unfortunately the buroctratic system of father germany got an update in software, and between the export permit issuing authority and the customs authority thus resulted a miss match.

it took the buroctrats nearly 12 weeks to work out that the DE for germany that previously went as a prefix before the export number in both systems, actualy since the software update went at the back of the number in the customs system.. obviously they dont buy thier software from the highest bidder and this wasnt detailed in the handbook, it cause much scratching of heads and red faces and caused a fair old backlog at the customs offices around the fatherland i can tell you.. it is however all apparenty running smooth now and teutonic efficiency will prevail..

Ours iz not to wonder why...Ours ist to fill ein form after zee andere form and hope to senden bevore we die..
blush.gif

at least we do actualy get export permits granted..(exept for Thailand, which makes me wonder how the heck AI in UK got export permits for Thailand)which is more than can be said for a lot of kit we'd like to see comming this way..

anyhow.. the customs this end should be back up to speed as far as i know.. glad to get you guys these stocks shipped out, it thrills me to finaly get the project realy rolling..keep the orders comming in..

regards Pete

My RCS II in black arrive today, Im lucky to have no customs to pass. I fitted to my tikka already, not difficult. Tommorow to shootrange for testing. Im very happy with product and fast service. Much better stock than tupperware from factory, nice engineered and accurate metal, plastik side parts feels nice. Thankyou Pete and Geoff.
v.g.elixF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthais31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick question - does the action need to be modified in any way to allow the AI Mags to feed properly? </div></div>

It shouldn't as far as I am aware.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthais31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick question - does the action need to be modified in any way to allow the AI Mags to feed properly? </div></div>

No Modification is required to the T3 action as such. Removal and exchange of parts is required.

1.Remove the spring clip that tensions the original T3 magazines. this is silver in colour and is held in place by the M6 bolt that holds the trigger onto the action. unscrew the bolt, remove the spring clip and re-fit the bolt and re tighten.
2. exchange the factory bolt stop for the one supplied ( required with short cal chassis) pull out the pin, remove the bolt stop, dont loose the spring, put the spring in the new bolt stop and refit.Tthis ensures the bolt is stopped at the correct possition to feed from the AICS mags.

Otherwise its a drop in, tighten bolts, fits sides and grip, fasten cross bolts and go shoot.

Modification is required to the AICS .223 plastic magazines in that a slight amount of plastic m,ust be removed to enable the magazine to be inserted far enough into the T3 action to ensure that the magazine catch engages and the mag is inserted inton the right height for reliable feed.

Instructions on the modification to the magazines will be included on our website shortly. Its dead simple to do. easiest thing to do is insert the plastic AI mags into the stock with the T3 already fitted. Hit the bottom of the magazine a couple of times as if trying to make it engage. Remove it and you will see slight impressions made by the narrow T3 feed port on to the magazine, 20 seconds deremel time later the mags fit perfectly.

Steel mags for the 308 require no modification, unless you want to use WSM/RSUAM cases then the lips need opening a little, which is normal for any AICS magazine fed rifle.
Rgds Pete

I just got mine through on Tuesday - an excellent bit of kit!

I have one fairly major problem though: The cheek piece provided is too high for me to be able to see down the scope! Does anyone know if lower cheek pieces can be bought from anywhere, or how easy it would be modify the existing cheek piece? I would rather not have to switch out to some higher rings as the scope currently sits perfectly just above the barrel.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Matthais_31

349fjif.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthais31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got mine through on Tuesday - an excellent bit of kit!

I have one fairly major problem though: The cheek piece provided is too high for me to be able to see down the scope! Does anyone know if lower cheek pieces can be bought from anywhere, or how easy it would be modify the existing cheek piece? I would rather not have to switch out to some higher rings as the scope currently sits perfectly just above the barrel.

Matthais_31

349fjif.jpg
</div></div>

Looks good! I'd say by far your easiest option is to buy some taller Optilock rings, cost you around £70 new and they're always appearing on Ebay for around half that. Might even have some kicking about.

I had thought about that, but I was hoping to keep the scope where it is as it fits perfectly atm with very little clearance!

But yes I guess that would be the easiest option...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthais31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got mine through on Tuesday - an excellent bit of kit!

Matthais_31

349fjif.jpg
</div></div>

Ya lucky bugger, it seems DHL in Germany have lost my order, it certainly hasn't left Germany for Australia since Pete sent it on the 16th of Feb and DHL seem clueless about it so far.

Man that thing looks sweet. I'm wanting a Tikka pretty bad. The action just feels amazing.

I might have to move a few things out of the safe soon...

Try moving cheek rest to the right (take it out and loosen bottom screws on it and move it to the right and retighten). Perhaps you will gain a mm or two and will fit better.

Hey Sharac,

I tried that - but it still is too high. It does mean I feel more confident in buying some slightly larger rings though - I was worried previously that the next size up might not be large enough. Having moved the cheek piece over, I think they will be.

Thanks for the input though
smile.gif

Matt, the cheek height is designed to be optimum when using a picatinny rail and corresponding rings giving the correct cheek weld height from an average of averages.

But... we've discussed the height options on the cheek on several occasions and had already decided to have a low rise cheek piece as an optional accessory.

My advice would be to ditch the optilock ring system, it is inferior to a picatinny rail system.
If you need a quick fit i will modify you an excisting cheek piece and send it you over, please email me and let me know your requirements.

regards Pete

The best way to go is roedale 20moa weaver base - 90 Eur, the cheapest steel base on the market IMHO, and Burris XTR rings.

419763_3069131801834_1069742659_3165600_273478218_n.jpg

427718_3279193933256_1069742659_3255999_1715302243_n.jpg

Pete Lincoln said:
Willo. I was just on the phone with DHL.The matter is bieng investigated by the responsible DHL department and you and we will be updated asap.

rgds Pete

Not looking good Pete. DHL have gone silent, and for all intents and purposes it seems like I'm now $1400 out of pocket, given I paid for a product which has been lost and no one is willing to take responsibility for.

Congrats to those who have received what they paid for, but I can't see myself ever going through this process again.

Willo, just get one thing straight.. you will in no way be out of pocket mate, I personaly absolutely garuantee you that.

Responsibility lays at the moment with DHL. I ensued a tracking search with them last week. As you can imagine DHL are a large company, and physicaly searching thier mislaid package warehouses does actualy take a little time. Its hands on work for some one checking 1 package after another manualy. According to DHL it can take 6 weeks to complete a through search check on a missing package.
If after the search has been completed they have indeed lost a package, then it becomes my responsibility to claim for it via DHL and or our own shipping insurance.

We are only at 4 weeks since shipping date, we have no confirmation that the package is lost, we simply have the fact that the online tracking hasn't been updated since the package was enrolled into the DHL export facility for processing.
For all we know it could be sat with your customs as we type and some muppet has simply forgotten to update the online thing.

As I emailed you earlier today, what we will do is re-apply for an export permit ( will take 10-14 days) and send you a 2nd shipment out if indeed DHL haven't located the 1st one by the time we have the 2nd package ready to ship which will be in about 2 weeks.

Then should the 1st package arrive in the meantime, or DHL find it,, then we are sorted, if not we send the 2nd shipment, we can discuss between us what to do with the 1st shipment if it then subsequently arrives.

Lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill, you certainly haven't lossed out on anything and we are insured for loss and damage to packages.

Agreed having to wait about, and not knowing what DHL are upto ( apart from scratching chins and drinking coffee inbetween looking through piles of mislaid packages) is a right royal pain in the backside.. but all will end well.

From several thousand packages we send per year a very small number get either damaged or go missing, when they do its a nuisance, but it always gets sorted out without anyone but the courier bieng out of pocket.

just stay calm, dont fret and lets let the DHL package search run its course.

One way or another, when you get the shipment,, be it nr 1 or nr 2.. it will certainly have been worth the wait,

best regards Pete

Placed my order for an RCS II first week of March. Can't wait to receive it. Hopefully it'll arrive in time for my next shooting trip at the end of the month.

SBMaramam, it should be with you shortly, got feedback yesterday from Norway that packages arrived, and yours went in the same batch.

We got to the bottom of Willo's missing package.
Some muppet at DHL decided that RCS II stocks where tools of the devil. We think some one using the package scanner shit a brick and thought he or she was looking at a sub machine gun. Instead of actualy opening the plastic see through envelope, that contained the export permit, customs clearance permit and invoice as well as the customs declaration.or actualy having a look in the box, they just stuck a hand writen label on the box " Schusswaffe" ( firearms) and sent it via the slow post back. probably some over zealouse anti gun muppet.
In several heated discussions with DHL since, they blamed the Aussie customs (I doubt Aussie customs would write in German)anyhow, we've put a claim in against them.

Anyhow. they managed to do this with 9 shipments, 8 for Australia, 1 for Rumania.
All 9 shipments are now on thier way again via a different courier and this shouldn't happen again. Feed back from all you RCS II customers is very positive so far, keep it comming, thanks.

regards Pete

Any news about the Tikka T3 "long action" RCS 2??
I really need it for my rifle before hunting season opens on 16. of May.

Finnish rifle, German stock, Romania optics. Sounds like the AXIS of accuracy. All kidding aside, that's a wonderful set-up. I just bought a T3 and plan on a very similar rifle in 6.5x55 .

my friend shoots from my tikka RCS 2 .308

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oijy14Yf7Vs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oijy14Yf7Vs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
my results with: Lapua scenar 155, N540, CCI BR2, Sako case.
292577_3502934606633_1069742659_3361635_733705424_n.jpg

582635_3502946646934_1069742659_3361644_2128243374_n.jpg

Yeah go figure that this combination will actually shoot consistently
smile.gif
smile.gif

Anyways here is my target from competition (got third place, the winner was stock Tikka Tac with 198/200 i got 191/200 and the second place was "custom 6BR thingy" 10 ring is ~7mm wide.

100m_comp.jpg

Little fix for quick detach cheek piece:

2x Screw DIN 653 M5x20mm (~2€) and voila:

IMG_3740.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

That's a great solution. Pete will you be stocking these? I looked um up but the only place close sells them per 100! That's a bit overkill

yes Frank, ive 100 waiting to be picked up at the Schrauben-Großhandel, should have them in the shop later today.

We've also got the long T3 chassis going now, hold up was caused by the magazine choice issue

rgds

Pete

Pete,

What is the longest COAL you have tested for a 300WM in the LA RCSII?

John

Pete,
You don´t respond my e-mails so have to try this....
When are you going to start delivering those RCSII Tikka T3 long action stocks?
I ordered (and paid) mine October 2010. 21 months gone and I don´t have a slightest idea about delivery date....and please don´t reply "soon". That´s the answer you´ve been giving for a year.