• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Tikka T3 Recoil lug

reddog

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2010
KY
Does any one make a conventional recoil lug for a T3? I don't want to use the mickey mouse lug it comes with.

Re: Tikka T3 Recoil lug

Assuming you are rebarreling and re-stocking the gun, you could simply install a typical remington style lug in front of the receiver and retain it there with the barrel.

The Remmy lug will not work because the Tikka threaded shank is 1/16" smaller in diameter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: racesnake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Remmy lug will not work because the Tikka threaded shank is 1/16" smaller in diameter. </div></div>

Since a gunsmith would be installing the lug, it would be no problem at all to cut the shoulder on the barrel to match the inside diameter of the lug.

In the case where the threads were larger, then the lug just gets opened up.
This is all "barrel fitting 101" stuff.
Trivial work to any real machiniist...

Check out this drawing:
http://700barrels.com/stuff/700dimensions.pdf

Note how I specify the inside of the lug diameter?
That is so that I can cut the proper diameter shank on the barrel to locate the lug.

Thanks for the tip, Randy. Don't know why I didn't think of that!!

I have one Tikka with the Remington lug and one with a custom lug made especially for the Tikka barrel shank. If you want to pin it to the action (the right way), you'll need a custom lug. Any real smith should be able to make you one from bar stock.

You won't be disappointed you did it right.

John