• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tikka T3 Tactical or T3 Scout--which one?

Cproflow

King of the Shank
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2011
Lyons, Colorado
Hello Everyone!
Just getting into the long range aspect myself and it didn't take me long to find this place. What a tremendous resource! I literally can't stop reading.

I'm getting ready to buy my first .308, and for now I've really been eyeballing those Tikka T3 tacticals. I had the chance to get my hands on a Scout up at Sportsman's Warehouse, and I did like the feel, the look, and of course the bolt. I have yet to see a T3 Tactical in the flesh.

I'm pretty brand new to LR shooting, so I'm trying to put things in perspective. My goal is to dink a 1000 yd shot one day, but I realize I have a long road to get there. There is so much to learn, and it is a little overwhelming at first.
For now, I'd say 300-500 yds is good place to call 'long range' for now.

In looking at those rifles, I'm not seeing much more than the adjustable stock, threaded barrel (a bonus for a future supressor), and a little 'cooler' set of lines on the Tactical model.
I do like the 20" barrel for portability--as I'd also like to hunt with this. Both rifles offer the 20".

The prices are pretty different too...about $900 for the Scout and $1400 for the tactical. How much difference in rifle are you getting for that price difference?

I 'like' the Tactical more, but if there is little meaningful ROI on that price difference, I'd rather put some of that saved money on the Scout towards better glass--currently looking at those v2 Vortex Viper PST 4x16's or possibly an IOR if I can swing it.

I'd like to keep the price for everything to around $2000--$2300.

I've been searching around the internets for some type of side by side comparisons of these models and can't seem to find much.

Any experience or insight you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks for such a wealth of knowledge!

Re: Tikka T3 Tactical or T3 Scout--which one?

As far as I can teel the only difference between the two are the adjustable cheek piece and threaded muzzle on the Tactical.

I don`t think a muzzle brake is needed on a .308, but if you plan on ever using a suppressor it might be handy to go with the rifle with the threaded muzzle.

I`ve owned and shot several Tikka rifles including the Tactical model and I can promise you that either rifle won`t disappoint you accuracy wise.

I shot paper targets out to 600 yards with a 20" barrel Tikka Tactical and found the rifle to be easily up to the task.

I think your idea of going with the scout rifle and using the price difference to go with better quality optics is a very smart plan.

Thanks DV...much appreciated. That is all the difference I can see as well.

It just strikes me as odd that the price disparity is so large for so little difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cproflow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks DV...much appreciated. That is all the difference I can see as well.

It just strikes me as odd that the price disparity is so large for so little difference.</div></div>

The word tactical tends to have that effect on price tags

Shop around, dealers can flex off the MSRP.
http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-tactical-rifles.asp
I (would) prefer the T3Tac. It is accurate and the threaded muzzle is useful if/when needed for brakes/supp, etc.
Stick around if you don't like the factory stock, there are some great stock options coming out by KRG.
http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/products/w3c.php

0113112021.jpg

Love my T3 Tac in 308, it is a Tac driver (hahaha)

I loved it so much I got a T3 tac in 223. Night and day difference. The 223 would BARELY hold 1 moa with a disgusting amount of hand load testing, and that was the best I could do. I guess I just got a lemon, but it is currently at APA to have a new barrel and stock put on the action by Jared and the guys. I am hoping it does better when I get it back ( I am sure it will)

As for the threaded barrel, it isn;t much of an advantage, because the only thing that threads on it are a Sako muzzle brake, because it is metric threaded M18x1. I suppose you could get it chopped and rethreaded 5/8x24 so it would be a standard American thread pattern, but you could do that with the scout just as easily. I guess you could also get the M18x1 threads put on a supressor or another brake, but that would probably be custom work.

I still would vote for the T3 tac in 308 just because of my good experience with that platform.

madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The 223 would BARELY hold 1 moa with a disgusting amount of hand load testing, and that was the best I could do. I guess I just got a lemon, but it is currently at APA to have a new barrel and stock put on the action by Jared and the guys. I am hoping it does better when I get it back ( I am sure it will)

madd0c </div></div>

How many rounds did you send down the .223 at the time you decided to re-barrel?

Thanks Guys...it is good info.
I like the fact that I can get the barrel threaded after the fact to suit whatever variant of suppressor I would want. Future thing though...

Also the onset of aftermarket stocks is pretty exciting, although as of now I'm pretty fond of the OEM.

I've been bouncing back and forth between one of these Tikkas (looking like the Scout, so I can get better glass) and the Remington 5R.

I've been making a pro/con list and it keeps leading me to the Tikka. I can't seem to find much in my searches that suggest the 5R is NOT a great rifle...and I know it is dead-on accurate (from reading about 50 postings, and from my Gun Club owner)

However, it has many things I don't like/want:
--SS barrel
--24" barrel
--no DBM (fixable)
--no too crazy about the stock shape/color (I know it is a HS, and is quality, just not feeling it)
--trigger not quite as tuneable/sweet as Tikka's (based purely on internet postings)
--no pic rail (fixable)
--bolt/action stiffer than Tikka (not a deal breaker, but noticeable)

In the end, I'm after the best out of the box rifle to make my 1st .308. I know the Remingtons can be modified every which way, but I don't want to start off feeling like I should dump another $500-$1000 into it.

Anything else I should be considering?
Thanks again!

I recently got the T3 Scout from my loving wife for an anniversary gift.. Yes, I'm very lucky! I think it is great with the 20" barrel. I don't think you get anything more with the "tactical" version. I got mine in .223 and love the low weight, compactness and versitility. I moded the mag to allow me to use 69gr-77gr bullets. In the long run I'll get the CDI bottom metal. I added a 20MOA EGW base, but the factory base is nice also.. the factory base comes bedded from the factory.. a nice touch.

Now if I can give some advice on your first rifle.. if there is something you REALLY want.. don't get the second best.. wait.. save .. and buy once and cry once.. if ever. If I had it to do all over again.. I would have kept shooting my .22s and single shot.. and saved and gotten my dream rifle. Now I have a safe of very nice guns.. but not my dream rifle yet. Just my .02. If you just can't wait for your dream rifle.. get a quality system and shoot the barrel or two out.. a good system should have good resale value.. or sentimental value.

Cheers,
Hawk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The 223 would BARELY hold 1 moa with a disgusting amount of hand load testing, and that was the best I could do. I guess I just got a lemon, but it is currently at APA to have a new barrel and stock put on the action by Jared and the guys. I am hoping it does better when I get it back ( I am sure it will)

madd0c </div></div>

How many rounds did you send down the .223 at the time you decided to re-barrel? </div></div>

At least 400rounds ranging from factory 55 FMJ to handloaded single feed 77gr SMKs, and everything in between.
I tried 62,69,70,75 and 77 grain projectiles with 4 seperate ladder charges of Varget and some tests with RL 15. It shot the 70gr Bergers with RL-15 the absolute best, and was about .9" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I also tried 3 different scope ring combos 2 of which were off known good shooting guns.
So I do think I did my testing extensively enough and like I said, I probably just got a lemon. It happens. It did beat the 1 MOA out of the box guarantee, so it did what they said it would, but just barely.

I am not bad mouthing the platform, just my particular 223 experience with the T3 Tac. And, I have zero problems sending it off to get turned into something which shoots better.

Like I said before, I bought the 223 because of the excellent results I got from the 308 version, so overall am still a big Tikka fan.

madd0c

^^^ Id say you did quite the work to determine it wasn't going to get you where you wanted it. I can't say I'm surprised based on the T3 recoil block design. I have a Varmint model in .223 that shoots extremely well. It really shines with 69 SMKs as it puts them into nearly one hole at 100 yards. I bought mine used and the gentleman had to put 200 rounds through it before it started shooting well for him. Seems to handle anything for me.

You could also get a Tikka Varmint... It's around 7-800 bucks and it's basically the scout with the longer barrel. You wouldn't have to cut it to re-thread it either.

As for my tikka lite .223. On my third set of handloads (Noob at reloading) I'm getting .35ish groups at 100. I'm doing hornady brass, CCI primers, 24 grains of BLC-2 with hornady 75gr BTHP and A-max's. They do about the same groups.

I know I bought one box of 50 HSM with the 75gr BTHP and I was getting around 1/4" groups, so I still have room for improvement with my handloads. Nice thing about the lite in .223 is doesn't heat up fast. Barrel is the same OD as the bigger calibers.