• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

So I’ve been going back and forth on how to set up my 260 CTR as a light(ish) suppressed hunting rifle. So after much back and forth between my KRG bravo and the factory stock I decided I didn’t like either for my needs.

Fast forward: I bought a McMillan A3 edge fill off eBay today. It should work perfectly but the bottom is inletted for the standard tikka bottom metal(plastic). That’s fine by me as I will save some ounces. But in order to make this conversion work I need the small piece of spring steel that retains the magazine and attaches to the front of the trigger. As well as a trigger guard but I’m pretty sure I can work that out.

Does anyone have one in a parts box they would be willing to sell?
1A0A0E71-E07E-4A4D-BABF-B877B582A140.jpeg

Also because it’s fun to know how much stuff weighs here’s this:
85E11114-2D2A-4AB3-BDB0-AEC93B07F223.jpeg

A4F6F9E1-9B03-4E42-9B4B-51CE5ADC4F01.jpeg

So I’ve been going back and forth on how to set up my 260 CTR as a light(ish) suppressed hunting rifle. So after much back and forth between my KRG bravo and the factory stock I decided I didn’t like either for my needs.

Fast forward: I bought a McMillan A3 edge fill off eBay today. It should work perfectly but the bottom is inletted for the standard tikka bottom metal(plastic). That’s fine by me as I will save some ounces. But in order to make this conversion work I need the small piece of spring steel that retains the magazine and attaches to the front of the trigger. As well as a trigger guard but I’m pretty sure I can work that out.

Does anyone have one in a parts box they would be willing to sell?
View attachment 7336651
Also because it’s fun to know how much stuff weighs here’s this:
View attachment 7336653

View attachment 7336655
People much earlier in this thread made one out of a stainless hose clamp. Can't seem to find it by searching at the moment.

Reactions: 260284 and Wiscat
People much earlier in this thread made one out of a stainless hose clamp. Can't seem to find it by searching at the moment.
That’s an idea. I will rob one off my 300 for now if I have to but it would be nice to track down a factory part.

Has anyone ever had luck getting small parts directly from Tikka? I know their website is very Finnish and Beretta USA doesn’t post an email. I seem to remember calling them about some thing a few years ago and getting stuck in phone tree hell. I can’t believe it it’s so impossible to find a little leaf spring that puts tension on the mag.

Ask them using Facebook messenger. It seems to be easiest and fastest way nowadays and at least they replied to me quite quickly about the torque specs.

Ask them using Facebook messenger. It seems to be easiest and fastest way nowadays and at least they replied to me quite quickly about the torque specs.

Crap. I don't have facebook.

Any ideas on how to torque this tang screw without removing my scope?

B45EDACD-5141-41BB-8D61-43CCCCE49B91.jpeg

I'm looking for some input/opinions/feedback. I'm getting ready to buy my first Tikka. I'm not doing competition shooting but will mostly be doing long range target shooting (90%) with a little hunting (10%). As my skills progress, I plan on shooting 1000+ yrds. Originally I was planning on getting the Tac A1 in 6.5 CM but after a lot of reading and research, I'm planning on getting a cheaper Tikka rifle. I want to swap out to the MDT ESS chassis and add a Atlas bipod and muzzle break (not sure which one yet) and also a new Sterk bolt handle (also not sure which one yet) . I also plan on starting with the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 for optics due to cost constraints. I'm thinking this should be a decent optic to last me until my skills progress and more funds become available. I also plan on going with the Yo Dave trigger spring for now vs upgrading to a Timney trigger or something else and I'll stick with the stock barrel until I shoot it out then upgrade to something else. I will also eventually be looking for a suppressor for this. Weight isn't too much of a concern to me as I won't be carrying it around much other than to my shooting spot. I'm looking more for accuracy than light weight.

What I'm looking for input is which Tikka rifle should I be looking at getting? The CTR (adjustable? SS?), Lite, or something else? What barrel length do you suggest? 20" or 24"? Is there something else I should be considering? Am I forgetting something? Does my build plan of action sound like a good one?

I'm looking for some input/opinions/feedback. I'm getting ready to buy my first Tikka. I'm not doing competition shooting but will mostly be doing long range target shooting (90%) with a little hunting (10%). As my skills progress, I plan on shooting 1000+ yrds. Originally I was planning on getting the Tac A1 in 6.5 CM but after a lot of reading and research, I'm planning on getting a cheaper Tikka rifle. I want to swap out to the MDT ESS chassis and add a Atlas bipod and muzzle break (not sure which one yet) and also a new Sterk bolt handle (also not sure which one yet) . I also plan on starting with the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 for optics due to cost constraints. I'm thinking this should be a decent optic to last me until my skills progress and more funds become available. I also plan on going with the Yo Dave trigger spring for now vs upgrading to a Timney trigger or something else and I'll stick with the stock barrel until I shoot it out then upgrade to something else. I will also eventually be looking for a suppressor for this. Weight isn't too much of a concern to me as I won't be carrying it around much other than to my shooting spot. I'm looking more for accuracy than light weight.

What I'm looking for input is which Tikka rifle should I be looking at getting? The CTR (adjustable? SS?), Lite, or something else? What barrel length do you suggest? 20" or 24"? Is there something else I should be considering? Am I forgetting something? Does my build plan of action sound like a good one?

I would go with a ctr 24 inch and upgrade from there.

This is my original thinking. What is the difference with the adjustable version? Is going with the SS worth the extra cost?

Nevermind about the adjustable. I see now that that refers to the stock. Since I will be replacing it anyway, it's not needed in my situation.

I would go stainless. Just personal preference.

I don’t like the plastic tikka stocks. . I put mine in a manners stock as soon as o got it. I have it in a mdt acc now.
If you plan on upgrading to a chassis or stock I would get the cheapest one.

I would go stainless, but they are sometimes harder to find. I would buy a 24" and sell the ctr stock/magwell/mag in the px section. Then pickup a ESS from the Px. Just be patient as Tikka stuff is a little more rare than r700 stuff. I just sold my ESS folder. I loved it but I picked up an ACC and a Manners Prs1tk. The ESS is a good all around chassis. I would also suggest MPA(I hunted with one for 2 years). You can find one on here for around 600-700.

Regarding optics, utilize the PX section to get a good deal. Depending on your budget, you can pickup a little better optic that you will be happy with longer. I would rather have a tikka in a krg bravo and have a better optic, then a more expensive chassis and a sub par optic.

Reactions: 260284
I think the Veil is calling me. I love the fluting of the barrel and bolt. I am willing to make it a new hunting ring for now and take it on a couple trips but I think I will throw my hat in the 223 game for PS and that will be a Tikka too. Obvious I wont be competing with you guys but I will get experience in the game.

Reactions: Mwalex
Of course it would.

Any ideas on a torque wrench that would fit between the scope and tang screw?

Wheeler Fat wrench won’t fit.
Use a pencil and make a reference mark on the scope rail.
Loosen the two nuts that clamp the scope rings to the scope rail.
Take the scope and rings off as an assembly.
Torque the Rear Bedding Block Screw ( Why was it loosened ? )
Put the scope & rings assembly back on the scope rail
Align the rings to the reference mark you made earlier
Torque the nuts on the rings.
Easiest way to do it and you should be within a click or two of where you were previously zeroed.

Reactions: gunjunkie45

I would look for a T3X varmint. Heavier barrel is worth it over the CTR. Either 6.5 CM or 300WM. Depending how often you want to go to 1000 yrds and what you will be hunting. 23.7” barrel. Only issue is it’s not threaded.

Reactions: Cuda-dude
Tikka Lite barrel in 223... how many rounds do you expect to shoot before groups starts opening up because of hot barrel?

Any issues/tips for sawing about an inch off the back of a Tikka synthetic stock? I’ve seen the web spec at 13.2 which might just be livable...I’ve also seen it listed at 13.75. If it’s the latter, I plan to shorten it. I think I’d rather have a functional beater stock than the 60 bucks someone might pony up for it.

Reactions: LeftyJason
Any issues/tips for sawing about an inch off the back of a Tikka synthetic stock? I’ve seen the web spec at 13.2 which might just be livable...I’ve also seen it listed at 13.75. If it’s the latter, I plan to shorten it. I think I’d rather have a functional beater stock than the 60 bucks someone might pony up for it.
Cant answer the sawing off part, but I have a standard t3x lite and a CTR in front of me and neither are 13.2... The lite is about 13.75 and the CTR measures longer actually, closer to 14"

Reactions: DJL2
After three unsuccessful phone calls I sent an email to BrettaUSA Through their helpline. Apparently it is impossible to find one of these little magazine tension spring.

After three unsuccessful phone calls I sent an email to BrettaUSA Through their helpline. Apparently it is impossible to find one of these little magazine tension spring.
Found it. Make it yourself.

You can use a take-off T1x stock, which has ~13.2 LOP

Reactions: DJL2
It's the 3342. I like it a lot, it's great value compared to my RRS 34L, it's lighter, but it's also not as refined and stable as the RRS.
I've been thinking of picking up a 3442, same thing but with one more leg extension. I will use this for backpack hunting as well and want something light. Really glad to hear you're happy with it.

I'm sure I will end up with an RRS in the future - but I'm thinking this will be a solid start. My money seems to love being spent on hobbies so an RRS is only logical at some point.

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
Reactions: SawBoss
I've been thinking of picking up a 3442, same thing but with one more leg extension. I will use this for backpack hunting as well and want something light. Really glad to hear you're happy with it.

I'm sure I will end up with an RRS in the future - but I'm thinking this will be a solid start. My money seems to love being spent on hobbies so an RRS is only logical at some point.

The 3442 is a great lightweight tripod for packing and hunting. Just Picked up a RT90c and it is a beast compared to the 3442. It will be great for spotting and shooting off of at matches, but I won't be carrying it too far for hunting.

Reactions: R_Swanson
The 3442 is a great lightweight tripod for packing and hunting. Just Picked up a RT90c and it is a beast compared to the 3442. It will be great for spotting and shooting off of at matches, but I won't be carrying it too far for hunting.

Who’s spinning up your prefits with the wrench flats?

Who’s spinning up your prefits with the wrench flats?
A local gunsmith. Anyone should be able to do it though. These were blanks that I bought from Bartein. Preferred Barrel Blanks will put flats on their prefits. Tempted to try one in 6GT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lunchbox27
Much better! I picked up this McMillan A3 edge for a great price off eBay. As pictured it’s 7#7.4oz. Once my LHT gets here I should be under 9#s loaded ready to hunt and under 10#s with the can.
DB5E1984-AA75-4D99-A74A-71E817676520.jpeg

what cal is that Viking78 looks awesome. I am putting in my order for the Tikka T3X Veil Alpine today. Eurooptic has them. I know it is not perfect but it looks great. plus I could always build it up like yours.

My Tikka arrived today as did my trigger spring/rail. No ammo, no optic...yet.
I‘m inclined to shoot it as is for a bit before sinking the cost of the entire rifle and then some into bottom metal and a new stock. I’m torn on “budget” optics - under a grand, under 28 ounces...or I put some things on hold and splurge for something.

Last edited:
My Tikka arrived today as did my trigger spring/rail. No ammo, no optic...yet.
I‘m inclined to shoot it as is for a bit before sinking the cost of the entire rifle and then some into bottom metal and a new stock. I’m torn on “budget” optics - under a grand, under 28 ounces...or I put some things on hold and splurge for something.
View attachment 7339110
Pst 2? Also check the optics section of the hide and also hide sponsors. Doug @ Cameraland, Liberty optics, and a few others take care of hide members well.

Quick question for all you Tikka owners. I’ll be grabbing a T3X Lite in 308 this summer as a donor action. Not married to the 308 it’s just what a local gun shop has in stock often. I’ve looked at about 30% of the 153 pages on this thread but I figured it would be faster to ask...

Do you prefer pre-fits or the barrel nut system?

Pros and Cons of either would be greatly appreciated.

I run a Remage 700 so I’m familiar with the barrel nut system and I have all the correct equipment.

Thanks
Matt

Pst 2? Also check the optics section of the hide and also hide sponsors. Doug @ Cameraland, Liberty optics, and a few others take care of hide members well.

I was initially thinking PST2, Ares BTR - close in weight and price, but a tad chunkier than desired...though only a few ounces heavier than the SWFA SS 3-15x42. If cost were not a concern, I'd likely grab https://marchscopes.com/scopes/d24v42fiml/ or https://marchscopes.com/scopes/d24v52fiml/. It's not like a good optic is ever wasted...but my shooting slush fund only has so much float. Grabbing a March (or similar) means definitely putting stock/bottom metal/barrel on hold as well as not buying another optic for different rifle...at least in the short term. Worth it? Perhaps.

My wife told me I might as well buy the March because I'll eventually regret not buying...and then buy it. :LOL: If spending as much on the optic is good, spending nearly four times the rifle's price must be better, right?