• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tikka T3 Varmint Owners - Stock Replacement -Gains

Doug308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
I wanted to know from the folks who have upgraded their Tikka T3 Varmint stock to a premium stock, Manners, McMillan, XLR did you notice group improvements ?

Thanks

Re: Tikka T3 Varmint Owners - Stock Replacement -Gains

I was wondering the same thing about my Tikka. Although I find it hard to believe there would be a significant improvement on a gun that can shoot close to 1/2 MOA out of the box.

Group improvement is one thing but almost more important is POI over a long time. A composite stock will most likely improve things. Feedback I get is that the T3 above say 22-250 really benefits from bedding. Maybe more than other rifles.
I have a little 20" T3 lite sitting in a carbon stock and notice that hits on varmints are getting quite consistent out to 400 yds. Just wasn't as reliable with the plastic stock.
edi

I'm with s5, I have a T3 in 7mm, and it remained sub Moa out to 350 prone off a bipod (that's as far as I have taken it).

The Tikka stock is not your average tupperware. The tolerances are so tight on it, I Krylon'd my stock and accidentally oversprayed a little on the inside. I was not able to refit the action back into the stock until I removed the paint splatter. Thats close tolerance.

I personally can not justify upgrading the stock on my particular rifle.

My Scout averaged <0.5" @ 100 and ~1.1" at 200 yards with handloads in OEM form. I gained no accuracy improvement from the XLR chassis except weight & ergonomics I did not enjoy as much as I already had in OEM form.

As mentioned above, the OEM stock and mag system don't get as much credit as warranted. I've had AICS misfeed and TRG misfeed issues, but I never once had a misfeed from he T3.

Agree with above. My hunting rifle is a bone stock T3 and my target rifle is a T3 in an XLR. The factory stock is lightweight, rigid, and much much better than something that comes on a Remington or Savage.

Manners stock on order for my tikka so,,,,I wont know squat till aug or sept. good question tho, as I asked a few friends that have upgraded the stocks and said yes to better accuracy when stretching out the legs of the t3.

I got one of the 1st T-4 stocks that Manners did for Tikka on my 308 T3 Tactical it was absolutley one of the best investments I have made for the near perfect rifle. I regularly compete with my Tikka so I also added CDI bottom metal. The rifle from day one has shot 1/3 to 1/2 MOA from my bipod and still does after over 2,300 rds. The stock did not improve accuracy but has added me immensley in postional shooting and overall use