• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Varmint

Mike_R

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
Ive decided I need a .308 and so I'm looking seriously at the T3 varmint in 308. I have 2 concerns about the system that I haven't been able to resolve through searching(perhaps my keywords are weak).
1st, I have heard some comments about weak recoil lugs bending/deflecting... seems somewhat common in the magnums but is this a problem for a Tikka in .308?
2nd, A local at the shooting range down here said that the barrels on the Tikkas have taken a hit in quality since beretta has begun importing them...not trying to spread rumors as I don't know, just wanting to see if anyone has any knowledge about recent QC.
I really want to pick one up but I wanted to see what others more knowledgeable than myself might be able to share with me.
I will probably get the EGW base for it if I do end up getting the T3... Im not locked into the T3 yet but I already have a Remmy and thought it sounds like its worth a shot.

Re: Tikka T3 Varmint

My T3 .308 Varmint is two years old now. I have 1200 rounds through it & everything is good with the rifle. For me, a stock pad was needed & I settled on one from blackhawk. I don't remember the name ot part number, but it's black & you can remove or add to the padding as needed to get the height you are looking for. I use the EGW 20 MOA rail & their tactical rings on this & my .223 Tikka Varmint.

I bought my T-3 Varmint .308 win about a year and a half ago. 1100 plus rounds throu it and it still amazes me!

An $800 rifle out of the box that you just adjust the trigger and go work sum loads up that will consistanly shoot 1/2 moa is a winner in my book! 125gr to 180gr all shoot! The stock is ugly but is stiff and dosent flex into the barrel when shooting from a bipod. The recoil lug is fine and does its job well. The bolt glides in and out of the action better than any other on the market! The only fall back to the T-3's is the price of the mags. Oh and you can use a 270win/30-06 mag so you can seat the bullets out further!

Sorry to go on and on but get one and you'll see.

I hunted Bill Wilson's ranch a few month's ago, and he had a couple of Tikka T3's (SBR'd and stock) that he swore by and used for hog hunting daily. I was looking for a bolt action at the time and he highly recommended the Tikka T3 Varmint, I think that speaks volumes. I played with it a little and really liked it, but I ended up going with a custom 700.